HBCD and many Utilities CD are missing etfsBoot

Syscom

Missing etfsBoot

If this topic has been discussed before, I apologize for not being able to find it. Search function was used, without any result.

Many diagnostic and utility CDs are missing etfsBoot. Examples which come to mind are Hirens HBCD and its different variations like DLC etc. Same is true for F4UBCD, Gandalf’s CD, Strelneck CD etc. I can put the contents of any of these CDs  on a USB stick, and make them bootable using Rufus.

Here is my problem: Let us aasume I have any one of these utility CDs on a bootable flash drive. I want to prepare a bootable ISO image of the bootable flash drive, using ImgBurn. How do I do this? I even tried borrowing the etfsBoot file from Windows 10 installation DVD, and putting it in the root directory of the flashdrive. The ISO I created still gave me an error BOOTMGR missing. Let me repeat my question:

Q: How do I create a bootable ISO of a bootable flash drive ( missing etfsBoot) using ImgBurn?

Isn't the bottom line really ImgBurn can't create ISO's of flash drives to begin with?  So, bootable or not, ImgBurn won't create an image of your flash drive. 

But, I guess you're asking how can ImgBurn create a bootable ISO in Build mode that you want Rufus to burn to a flash drive so the flash drive is bootable?  You want to put the different utilities all on one flash drive, I'm guessing?  I doubt you can accomplish this since each utility requires a different environment to run in.  Plus, how would you get to a boot environment to select which utility to run?  Some run in "DOS" but some run in WinPE.

Thanks Lightening and dbminter for your fast responses. 

lightening, I like the problem as a technical challenge. ImgBurn is a powerful program, and like your other users, I do want to use it. As for using downloaded ISOs, in my case that does not apply. I have edited HBCD to improve its functionality.

Dbminter, their are many program CDs which come with etfsBoot. There is no problem with ImageBurn collecting all the files, and using etfsBoot, making the ISO bootable. For the sake of discussion let us concentrate on a single utility CD, like Hiren HBCD. So how about a solution for making the ISO of HBCD as constituted from a bootable USB flash bootable :) ?

Edited by Syscom
Elucidation

dbminter: Yes. i created an ISO from the contents of a bootable USB. But this ISO failed to boot. I even borrowed etfsBoot off a Win 10 CD, and put it in the root directory of the contents of HBCD, and made an ISO, using ImgBurn. This ISO was also not bootable. it gave me BOOTMGR not present error

Looking at an old ISO of Hirens (v10) I had laying around, it boots IsoLinux.bin.... so that's what you'd be looking for, not the bootable file from an OS installation type disc.

v15 seems to boot grldr

and the PE version (made by users), boots to a couple of methods (EFI and normal I guess) that don't have an actual file within the file system. You'd have to extract them from the ISO itself.

Oh and you may have to relax the ISO9660 restrictions to allow files without file extensions. BOOTMGR may well be one of those files that can't be found unless you do. It does exist within your source files though yeah? It's in the root of the image on the one I'm looking at.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.