DVD Writer Decisions.

plain

I am wanting to purchase a Plextor PX-891SAF-PLUS and I am looking for advice or user experience.  I only use ImgBurn to burn data disks or sometimes music cd's.  So I am wanting to start DVD dual layer writing and wonder if this writer is good for "Verbatim AZO DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8X with Branded Surface"?  I burn maybe 12 discs a year but this could increase dramatically soon.  I think I have just about gone in circles trying to find opinions I trust on this so any help here is much appreciated.  Plextor also has a "Retail" box of this writer which has Plextools which I am assuming is the Plextor equivalent to ImgBurn?  Thanks for any help.

Edited by plain

As far as I know, Plextools is not an image creation/burning software like ImgBurn is.  It's a collection of drive utility tools, like changing operational settings, etc.  I've never had a Plextor to my knowledge, so I don't from experience that that is the case.  But, it is my guess.  Beyond that, I don't know.  I don't buy DVD burners anymore, just BD burners, so my experience would only relate to what I've seen from BD drives over the last 5 years or so.

AZO discs are the best out there and for DVD+R DL, AZO/DataLife Plus is the only steadily reliable type of disc for that burning.  So, few drives should actually have issues with that media, but it is, of course, dependent on the drive.

What exactly are the capabilities you're looking for?  If you're looking just for a drive that supports the AZO DVD+R DL, an LG or Pioneer BD burner will do the trick.  I recommend the LG over the Pioneer (now) and I recommend the LG WH16NS60 over the WH16NS40.  The NS40 is cheaper and doesn't support Ultra HD BD, if you're not interested in that.  But, it is a terrible writer at BD DL media, failing 9 times out of 10, repeatedly and not just reported by me.  The NS60 passed all tests I threw at it.  I used to recommend the Pioneer BDR-2209, but with the latest firmware, it borks writing to Ritek 8x DVD+RW and completely DESTROYS Ritek 6x DVD-RW!  :o  This is the third or fourth firmware revision Pioneer has screwed up, adding new mistakes each time.  So, I gave up on them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.