Reason: Read of Scrambled Sector Without Authentication

dbminter

I've been trying to perform Verify on some DVD's.  I'm not trying to Read them, just Verify, to make sure they're playable.  I keep getting these on all the discs

I 16:43:04 Verifying Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2045775)
W 16:43:06 Failed to Read Sectors 384 - 415 - Reason: Read of Scrambled Sector Without Authentication
W 16:43:06 Failed to Read Sector 385 - Reason: Read of Scrambled Sector Without Authentication
W 16:43:06 Sector 385 maps to File: \VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
E 16:43:08 Failed to Read Sector 385 - Reason: Read of Scrambled Sector Without Authentication
E 16:43:08 Sector 385 maps to File: \VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
E 16:43:08 Failed to Verify Sectors!

The discs are not protected by any kind of advanced protection, just CSS.  Even with CSS, I thought Verify would still perform on these discs.  I thought I'd done it before.

What does work is to enable AnyDVD.  I don't see why this should be the case though because I thought I'd used Verify before on discs even when they were CSS protected.  I'm not trying to copy or Read them, as I said, just perform a Verify on them.

Any ideas?

As the error message states, (CSS protected) discs need to be authenticated before they can be read.

Don't forget that reading and verifying are the same thing. The program is issuing the 'READ' command to the drive either way.

An attempt to read a protected sector without having first completed the authentication process will result in that error being returned.

I must have run Verify on discs that weren't CSS protected before, because I know I ran Verify on DVD Video discs without AnyDVD resident.  They were probably the first time I attempted to do such.  That must be what confused me.  The scramble message indicated CSS, but it doesn't actually SAY CSS.  :wink:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.