Jump to content
jrogers1965

Game of Thrones

Recommended Posts

Can I create my own DVD's of Game of Thrones from MP4 files? I the first 3 seasons & half of season 4 at the moment. I'll be using single layer discs, cause that's what I have right now. Or, could I have more episodes per disc with DL discs.

 

All suggestions welcomed & appreciated!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want DVD Video you need an authoring program like DVDStyler or DVDFlick.

Consider that SL discs can hold 120 minutes, DL discs can hold 240 minutes at standard quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not with imgburn. It only burns what you feed it. If you burn the mp4's you'll end up with a data disc with mp4's on it. If you want a DVD you'll first need something to convert the files to a valid DVD structure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a DVD/Blu-Ray player that supports playing files such as MP4 natively, you can just burn a series of MP4 files to single layer DVD's.  However, as was previously said, if you want DVD Video out of the MP4 files, you'll need a conversion software like ConvertXToDVD to create a VIDEO_TS first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ianymaty said:

If you want DVD Video you need an authoring program like DVDStyler or DVDFlick.

Consider that SL discs can hold 120 minutes, DL discs can hold 240 minutes at standard quality.

So, if I want more than 2 episodes per disc use the DL disc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a variety of factors that dictate how many "episodes" you can fit on an SL disc.  It depends on 1.) the running time 2.) the compression/codec used on the source file and 3.) the application you're using.  For instance, it's not unusual for ConvertXToDVD to fit 4 "1 hour" episodes on an SL without any significant video quality loss.

 

The 120 minute label applied to SL DVD's was for standalone DVD video recorders like Panasonic's.  And even then, you could choose higher compression rates and get 4 and 6 hours on an SL, but with significant video quality loss.  There's even a 1 hour option for even better video quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, dbminter said:

There are a variety of factors that dictate how many "episodes" you can fit on an SL disc.  It depends on 1.) the running time 2.) the compression/codec used on the source file and 3.) the application you're using.  For instance, it's not unusual for ConvertXToDVD to fit 4 "1 hour" episodes on an SL without any significant video quality loss.

 

The 120 minute label applied to SL DVD's was for standalone DVD video recorders like Panasonic's.  And even then, you could choose higher compression rates and get 4 and 6 hours on an SL, but with significant video quality loss.  There's even a 1 hour option for even better video quality.

Thanks for that info. I'm trying to get as close to the box set disc format as possible without buying the whole set! ;) Too much $$$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, as I said before, if your player supports playing MP4 files natively, you can probably fit an entire season on an SL disc depending on the size of the MP4's.  However, if you're going for a DVD playable disc, it would vary how many episodes you could fit on a disc.  1 hour episodes are generally between 42 and 45 minutes, but that's factoring in commercials, which Game Of Thrones wouldn't.  So, you should be able to fit comfortably the 2 episodes per SL disc mentioned already.  Again, it depends on a few factors you'd have to experiment with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again DB. I was able to look on a library website and found out there are 2 episodes per disc, so 5 discs per season. Season 7 was a short season, so that's only 4 discs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like whoever made the GOT DVD's went cheap and used DVD-5's instead of lowering the disc count with DVD-9's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dbminter said:

Looks like whoever made the GOT DVD's went cheap and used DVD-5's instead of lowering the disc count with DVD-9's.

There's also extra stuff on the discs, so they might have used dvd-9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they do, they would most likely save just 1 disc for special features, make it the last in the set, and make it a DVD-9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.