Problems burning ISO images

johnnysharp2

Hi,

My son has autism and I have used imgburn many times to create ISO and burn discs for him, to be played on a portable DVD player.

The 100s I have already done appear fine, I have tested a few, however I have tried to write an image file to disc today and I get 'UNKNOWN DISC' on  the player.

I have uninstalled and re-installed to no avail.

Any ideas?

Johnny

Edited by johnnysharp2

Without a log to go by yet, two preliminary possibilities:

1.) VIDEO_TS wasn't in the root directory of the disc that was burned.

2.) the DVD player you put that disc in doesn't like the disc manufacturer of that burned disc.  This would be particularly possible with cheap media like CMC Magnetics of the kind made by Verbatim as the Life Series you find in stores.

ok thanks, not sure where the logs are can anyone advise?

The previous one's I have done were on an older windows 8 pc, current is windows 10 so wasn't sure if that was a problem?

I used Polaroid DVD+R discs, yes they were cheap, but have used them before with no problems but I will look into purchasing another brand.

Latest log:

I 07:09:31 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 07:09:31 Microsoft Windows 8 Core x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 07:09:31 Total Physical Memory: 7,826,180 KiB  -  Available: 4,453,784 KiB
I 07:09:31 Initialising SPTI...
I 07:09:31 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 07:09:31 -> Drive 1 - Info: hp HLDS DVDRW  GUD1N LD02 (E:) (SATA)
I 07:09:31 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
I 07:12:02 Operation Started!
I 07:12:02 Source File: C:\Users\johnn\Downloads\complete\all kinds of signs.iso
I 07:12:02 Source File Sectors: 617,408 (MODE1/2048)
I 07:12:02 Source File Size: 1,264,451,584 bytes
I 07:12:02 Source File Volume Identifier: Movies
I 07:12:02 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 4F327CDA00096BA6
I 07:12:02 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.5.8.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!
I 07:12:02 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 07:12:02 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 07:12:02 Destination Device: [0:0:0] hp HLDS DVDRW  GUD1N LD02 (E:) (SATA)
I 07:12:02 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: AML-003-01)
I 07:12:02 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 8x
I 07:12:02 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104
I 07:12:02 Write Mode: DVD
I 07:12:02 Write Type: DAO
I 07:12:02 Write Speed: MAX
I 07:12:02 DVD+R Reserve Track: No
I 07:12:02 Link Size: Auto
I 07:12:02 Lock Volume: Yes
I 07:12:02 Test Mode: No
I 07:12:02 OPC: No
I 07:12:02 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 07:12:02 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 11,080 KB/s (8x)
I 07:12:04 Filling Buffer... (80 MiB)
I 07:12:04 Writing LeadIn...
I 07:12:18 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 617407)
I 07:12:18 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 617407)
I 07:15:57 Synchronising Cache...
I 07:16:00 Closing Track...
I 07:16:03 Finalising Disc...
I 07:16:22 Exporting Graph Data...
I 07:16:22 Graph Data File: C:\Users\johnn\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\hp_HLDS_DVDRW_GUD1N_LD02_19-SEPTEMBER-2019_07-12_AML-003-01_MAX.ibg
I 07:16:22 Export Successfully Completed!
I 07:16:22 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:04:19
I 07:16:22 Average Write Rate: 5,638 KiB/s (4.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 6,948 KiB/s (5.1x)
I 07:16:22 Cycling Tray before Verify...
W 07:16:42 Waiting for device to become ready...

What did you use to create the DVD that says it's an unknown disc?  I'm guessing it wasn't Freemake.  It might have authored an incorrect disc.  And I'm still looking at if VIDEO_TS wasn't placed properly in the root directory of the job.  Put this failed disc in your PC drive, open Windows/File Explorer and make sure there's a VIDEO_TS folder (Check for correct spelling, too.) in the root directory.  Navigate to VIDEO_TS and make sure there's a VIDEO_TS.IFO file there.

Also try playing this disc that doesn't play in another DVD player, preferably not a PC drive.  Like someone else's DVD player.

As for the log, I've never heard of the Disc ID being used before.  However, since you've gotten them to work before, that's not the problem.  It's an issue, but not a problem.  :)

Also, just going by judging here, looks like you downloaded this ISO you're burning?  :acute: Maybe the ISO was never authored correctly to begin with.

I am using ISOs I have had for a long time, that I created with Imgburn. Essentially old VHS tapes, put onto disc. I have 100s already done as back up's for my son's old TV favourite shows.

So what I do is use the ISO file I have , and then load Imgburn using the write image file to disc option (like I have done so many times), only problem is now it doesn't work anymore.

Edited by johnnysharp2

Ah, just because a container plays on a PC doesn't mean you can put it on a DVD and expect it to play in a stand alone DVD player.  The DVD player has to support playing back container files like MKV.  Has this portable player played MKV files from DVD's before?  If it used to, then, the problem is the MKV file itself.  It may have a codec that is not supported for playback by the DVD player.  Or the job settings for this DVD you created are not set properly for that player to recognize a disc has been inserted.

I thought you were dealing with movie DVD's, commonly called DVD Video.

I know that. But my process remains the same, MP4 or MKV file converted to an ISO file using imgburn and then again using imgburn writing that ISO to a blank DVD disc. The issue seems to be the AUDIO and VIDEO files you earlier referred to.

So on one of the faulty, new, discs when I put the disc in my pc it just has the actual TV show title with an MKV file.

When I put an earlier disc in , one that plays ok on my son's DVD player(ie one I converted on imgburn into a ISO file, and then again using imgburn wrote that ISO file to a blank disc) , doesn't have a title it just has 2 files:

AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS

So that's why the new discs aren't working, however the same question arises= why, when I am using exactly the same method I have always done using imgburn?

The only thing I can think of is I think all my older one's were done on an older now broken pc, I now have a newer windows 10 pc. So any ideas what the issue is?

Edited by johnnysharp2

ImgBurn burn as-is, it always has done.

So if you feed it MP4 / MKV files, that's what you'll end up with on the disc.

If your play needs proper DVD Video discs (ones with the VIDEO_TS folder and usual set of files), you'll need to convert your MP4 / MKV files into that format before then burning the VIDEO_TS folder.

You must have been using different software (or an additional piece of software) on your older PC and have started skipping a step on your new one.

I am not feeding it MKV/MP4 though, I am converting them first on imgburn to an ISO file.

Sure that's the format they were in originally but they have been written to ISO. The latest I tried was an ISO file not an MKV, yet when I wrote it over it still had MKV filename, not the AUDIO/VIDEO TS the good earlier one's had.

It is that ISO file I am then trying to burn to a blank disc. Not the MP4/MKV one.

I have used Handbrake in some instances, but for this I am merely trying to create a new disc from an existing ISO file.

I  have close to 200 discs I have done over the years all using imgburn.

1) original TV show/file (whether MP4 or MKV etc), ISO image created using imgburn

2) Disc created from ISO image, write image file to disc using imgburn

I am currently just doing step 2 as I have already got all the ISO files prepared.

That's it - now I can see though the new discs created do not have the AUDIO_TS and  VIDEO_TS names

ISO.bmp

Edited by johnnysharp2

Think of an ISO like a box.... that's all it is.

You put things in it, but they don't change. So if you put MKV/MP4 files in an ISO 'box', when you look inside the ISO 'box', you still have the same MKV/MP4 files.

Either you used to start off with compliant DVD Video (VIDEO_TS) stuff (and not MP4/MKV) or you used another program to convert to DVD Video format (VIDEO_TS) and then used ImgBurn for the burning part.

Lots of freeware conversion tools can automatically call upon ImgBurn for the burning phase.

ok thanks - it's weird. I understand what you mean but still can't fathom how it worked and now does not. I don't recall using any other program.

I have used Handbrake but not for this purpose.

The solution is to switch to freemake - or 'notfree' make as that converts to DVD without a problem. The notfree bit comes into play as you have to upgrade to GOLD package to remove all the adverts/banners whatever.

The simple fact is for me now, whatever I have done in the past (or as I claim not done), freemake works for me and imgburn does not. Just a shame with them I need to pay a fee.

I could still use imgburn to use current discs that work if a need to burn another copy or replacement, ie create an ISO file from that workable disc, and then try and burn onto a new disc from that. As the original contains the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS that should work.

The reason for all this is my son has autism/learning difficulties and is non verbal, part of his his fun time is his DVD player (or players I have a few!),, however his TV show tastes are stuck in the 80s so to speak, most of the TV shows he likes are not made anymore and a lot are not on DVD, so I started many years ago to copy old VHS tapes and get them onto DVD discs. I have 100s for him, and for all those I have several back ups in case a disc becomes unusable, I also have lots of pre-recorded discs for him for shows that made it onto DVD. I also have MKV/MP4/ISO versions of most of them on a hard drive so I can create new one's....I assumed using imgburn :D

When one no longer works I swap it for a new one, whether that be pre-recorded or one I have done on the pc for him. 

I suppose if I have a workable disc as I explained above, if I need to make a copy of that it will have all the necessary correct file information (after all it does work), so I can create a new disc with imgburn from that otherwise it's 'notfreemake'.

Edited by johnnysharp2

Are you sure AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS on that disc were files and not folders?  They should be folders on DVD Video compliant discs.

IF you just fed MKV files into an ISO and burned it to disc, then maybe your DVD player supports playing MKV files natively from disc.

Ah, yes, there's your common thread!  With the discs that aren't working, you appear to just be putting MKV files in the ISO.  If your DVD player natively supports playing MKV files, then you can do that.  Otherwise, you can't.  You need DVD Video compliant VIDEO_TS folders for a DVD player to play a DVD.

As LUK said, there are a few options out there to convert to your MKV to VIDEO_TS.  Freemake does it, like you said, but you have to pay to remove the watermark and to get "sane" processing time.  I use a paid piece of software called ConvertXToDVD.  I've been using it for about 10 years now to convert container files such as MKV to DVD Video.

I've never used anything else extensively to convert containers to DVD Video beyond ConvertXToDVD so I can't recommend any particular piece of software otherwise.

Thanks for the replies and the suggestion on ConvertXToDVD - will try that next before Freemake, having google'd it lots of sites with download available, -have you any advice on the most secure place to download ConvertXToDVD please?

Here looks the best place? http://www.vso-software.fr

Edited by johnnysharp2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.