What (boot) files are needed to make Win 10 EFI recovery station bootable ISO image?

Iwant2know

In Windows 10 I created the recovery station on USB. Looking into the content I found that this recovery station is meant for UEFI. This is new for me, as I am used to use ImgBurn to create ISO images using Microsoft bootfiles to make an image a bootable ISO file. So I need to know what files (and/or settings) I have to use to make this image bootable as I only could find this location on the recovery station for any boot related files './EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi'. Do I need this one and if not, then what do I need to make this image a bootable ISO image file using UEFI? Are there any other settings too that need to change as well for UEFI? B.t.w, I found a manual 'here', at the 'advanced' tab you'll find the 'bootable disc' section to choose 'Make image bootable' and then you have to choose Boot image location, Platform ID, Load segment, sectors to load.

Edited by Iwant2know

22 hours ago, Ch3vr0n said:

That depends, how old is the PC you intend to use it on. If it's within the past 5-6 years it is UEFI based

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply,

You're right, it's a brandnew HP Envy notebook and I know that BIOS is predecessor of UEFI. Anyways, I found out that there's only on this location boot related files './EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi' . So my guess is that this might be the image boot file, but I'm not sure of it. That's why I ask for more info, because I presume that then also other settings need to be adjusted, is that correct? And if so, what are those settings to be changed?

Edited by Iwant2know

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a legacy bios type, you can still use that iso. Woke the native Microsoft tool only does uefi I believe it's not the end of the road.

Just grab the 'rufus' tool, it has all the capabilities you need to let that iso work on a legacy bios. This without you needing to tinker manually, because u personally have no clue where to look or what to do. I just know there's tools that can do it for you.

Besides this really isn't exactly the best place for that level of assistance. Imgburn can't even make a USB drive bootable. A MS iso is bootable by itself, check autorun.ini I think it is. Should be present.

Want an disc? Burn the iso

Want a flash drive? Use Rufus.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, Ch3vr0n said:

If it's a legacy bios type, you can still use that iso. Woke the native Microsoft tool only does uefi I believe it's not the end of the road.

Just grab the 'rufus' tool, it has all the capabilities you need to let that iso work on a legacy bios. This without you needing to tinker manually, because u personally have no clue where to look or what to do. I just know there's tools that can do it for you.

Besides this really isn't exactly the best place for that level of assistance. Imgburn can't even make a USB drive bootable. A MS iso is bootable by itself, check autorun.ini I think it is. Should be present.

Want an disc? Burn the iso

Want a flash drive? Use Rufus.

Still think you get the wrong picture here, let me show you where I came from again, right?

On this HP envy notebook I created an copy backup, for this Windows 10 has 2 options. Either put the copy backup directly on DVD or copy it onto USB device. Yet the copy backup onto USB device is also known as the recovery station.
So now I have this copy backup on USB media and in volume it is about 32GB in size, where as my USB media is about 500GB in size. Now I have 2 options here, either I clone the recovery station as an exact copy onto a smaller USB medium or I create a ISO file and I choose to create an ISO file from the recovery station.
Before I'd already create ISO files from regular existing DVD's and USB media.
When I checked the content of this recovery station, I then noticed it's EFI bootable.
Never before I'd create an ISO file from a EFI recovery station for an specific notebook that boot from UEFI.

And for that mather, I'd have no use here for an app like Rufus, as it is only to be used for burning an ISO file onto a DVD/USB medium, but not for creating an ISO file. To create an ISO file I rather use an app like ImgBurn because that app does convert an image file into an ISO file. And to make the DVD/USB medium bootable on the pc, a boot image file is to be added, extracted from the image file I want to convert.

Edited by Iwant2know

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.