Getting the most out of a 25gb disc

newfielander

Hi friends, I need help with steps in burning files (video&pictures) to a 25 Gb disc. The problem I'm running into when burning files to a 25 Gb disc when using my standard windows burner program that comes with my computer is I can only get 22.3 Gb on the disc even though it's called a 25 Gb disc. In the setting of IMGBurn can't I tweak the program a little and get more out of a 25 Gb disc then 22.3 GB's? If there is please can you give me the step by step process on how to do this? Thanks for the help!

There's a difference between 25 GB and 25 Gb.  It's confusing, I know, but when they say a disc is 25 GB, they're often saying it's 25 Gb.  Bottom line, you get the maximum out of whatever you're allowed to by the software.  So, you can try ImgBurn to see if you get more files on a BD-R, but you're most likely capped at 22.3 GB.

Maxed out a 25GB disc in reality only holds 22.3 this because disc (and that applies to both optical discs and hard drives) manufacturers count on multiples of 1000. Eg 1MB is 1000 bytes (while in reality is not), 1GB : 1000 MB etc...

However the operating system calculates things differently. It's based on multiples of 2 in the binary system. 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024...

1MB actually 1024bytes, 1GB is 1024MB.

Due to the repeated 'loss' of that 24 there's a difference. It's the same reason why a 1TB hdd isn't showing as 1024GB in windows but as 978 or something.

Perfectly normal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I read somewhere if I select the option "no use for spare sectors" enabled (I'm not even sure where to find this option)  I should get more then 22.3 GB. I hate to test any disc seeing they are so expensive. I was hoping someone would know for sure. I guess I will have to give it a try.
Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.