Unable to lock volume error

arniebear

I have been using both Decrypter and ImgBurn on two computers, my old and my new one with no problems or errors, except for the CRC on bad disks. I installed the new Nero 7 and am now coming up with the unable to lock volume for exlusive access error and then it states "incorrect function". I have unchecked the box in iso write settings and it works fine. I have checked and cannot find anything that has a handle on the the drives, because this has occurred on all three of my drives, NEC1300a USB, Plextor716UF and HP640c. Since this is new error for me I was wondering if it really makes a difference if the box is left unchecked, the burned movies plays fine. And if anyone else has any ideas why this occuring.

Well something must be using the drives, or something has installed a filter driver that's stopping me from getting exclusive access on them.

If you've just installed Nero 7 (and that's all you've done), I would guess that's the problem.

Did you put that InCD thingy on too? That normally causes this issue.

Of course the obvious thing to try is to remove Nero and see if it works again. You can put it back on afterwards, but it would be nice to know what's causing the problem.

I'd also visit http://www.bustrace.com/downloads/free_utilities.htm and check out their filter driver load order util. It'll tell you which drivers all your systems I/O has to go through before actually reaching the drive!

Without locking the drive, any other program can send commands to it and interrupt the flow of data - leaving you with a nice coaster. Even just opening up 'My Computer' or whatever can kill it if it sends the wrong command.

The only new things new on the computer are Nero 7 and DVDRB update and I know it is not RB. No I did not install INCD that is a terrible program. I may end up trying to clean Nero 7 out and then go back to 6 and see if it happens. I know my burn logs for the new 7 list a whole pile of drivers that never came up before.

Edit: I have traced down the problem, I uninstalled Nero and still got the same error. Used the filter tool but could not find any problems. However, I have always used Patin-Couffin as my I/O because this worked well with my USB BTC drive I would get semaphore errors with SPTI so I just kept using it even though I no longer use this drive. VSO had an update for CopytoDVD a few weeks ago and I did the upgrade and have not used ImgBurn since, there is a new version of PC I changed the I/O back to SPTI and no error. I then uninstalled VSO software and installed old ver. 27 of PC and burned with no error. Whatever the new 1.33.6 ver. of PC driver is it was causing this error to occur. Am back using ImgBurn for my dual layer with no troubles. Did Star Wars III again and it came out great. Thanks for the terrific program and the response.

Edited by arniebear

Well it definitely is something with the new one that came out on 10/24 because I have never had a problem with the program or PC in the year I have been running Decrypter and the ImgBurn up until this new version 33 the previous update did not cause this. Just glad I figured it out it was driving me crazy.

I also prefer using the vso patin couffin driver and therefore look forward to the next release to fix this minor irritation of the unable to lock error. I tend to find that if I use SPTI then I tend to get 'poorer' burns and more errors on playback which I feel is strange in itself, I had assumed that SPTI / Patin Couffin should have produced similar burns but it appears that that is not always the case and hence my preference of Patin Couffin over the other I/O options.

I can't really finish posting my first post without thanking you for all your hardwork over the years on Decrypter and Imgburn - it is very much appreciated by all.

Many Thanks,

Shootist

I too find that Patin-Couffin gives me better burns, especially in the area of dual layer burning. It seems to handle the layer break perfectly there is no hesitation or pixellation on playback. I have found that Elby and SPTI were giving me freezing on playback but not so with PC.

These I/O interfaces are mearly roads from A - B. They have NO effect on the burn quality, which is totally down to the drive / firmware / media combo.

Well you are the expert but in my humble opinion there is a definate difference in the quality of the resultant burn with the Patin Couffin driver compared to my burns using SPTI. I may not be a technical expert but if SPTI offered exactly the same performance as the other I/O methods then why would anyone bother to write a different I/O method in the first place and more importantly why would you have bothered to give us the choice :blink:

Anyway I am still looking forward to the fix in the next release as I for one prefer the Patin Couffin I/O method.

Best Regards,

Shootist

SPTI can't be used by anyone other than Admin. Obviously it's also only available on NT based OS's.

Making your own means you can interrupt the standard flow of data and fake the results given back to the OS.

I also said nothing about performance, I said the quality of the burn has nothing to do with the I/O interface. All you're doing is sending digital info to the drive. If the I/O interfaces changed that data, they'd be bloody useless! So basically, it doesn't matter how you send it, the drive still get the same info and burns that same info. The interface doesn't come into it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.