Verifying & Tray Cycling Problems

illini4life

DataLife Plus is their best branding. I use the +R so that I can booktype them to dvd-rom with my drives.

I can't believe what I noob I feel like given I've been working with this stuff for over a year, but every month I seem to find out something new and critical. What benefit does booktyping the discs to DVD-ROM give?

Oops. I hit post too soon. Is it something standard that you will get better compatibility in set-top players if you set the discs to be -ROM's instead of +R's or -R's or does it very widely from player to player?

I can't believe what I noob I feel like given I've been working with this stuff for over a year, but every month I seem to find out something new and critical. What benefit does booktyping the discs to DVD-ROM give?

Oops. I hit post too soon. Is it something standard that you will get better compatibility in set-top players if you set the discs to be -ROM's instead of +R's or -R's or does it very widely from player to player?

Yes, it's a compatibility issue, and yes, it varies from player to player.

As Ken said the Rom bit allows some fussier/older players to playback your backups with no problems. In my experience the newer players don't struggle with either DVD+R or DVD-R as long as you use quality media.

I agree with Ken, check some of the oldest backups you made either by playing them or with ImgBurn. You can also download and use DVDinfoPro to check for errors on a burnt disc. Some of my first burns were on Ritek G04 dye (A Grade Media at the time) and these still play despite being 3 years old.....

As for my current media (Taiyo Yuden TYG02/TYG03 & Verbatim MCC) so far these have proved to be very reliable indeed :)

illini;

The DVD player standard requires that all players manufactured to handle commercial DVD's be able to play the -rom booktype. As Ken and lfc have said, most players will play them all, however I don't believe in buying expensive models, since the technology changes so quickly, so I bookmark them as DVD-Rom and never have a compatibility issue. ;)

DataLife Plus is their best branding. I use the +R so that I can booktype them to dvd-rom with my drives.

I read in one of the reviews on Newegg of those Verbatim's that the media id is MCC 003, which I found are supposed to be rated up to 8x. Should I only burn at 4x to be safe or should I be fine burning at 8x since these are such quality discs? How can I tell exactly how good the burn was? I always use the verify against the image feature in imgburn, but I've read posts where people were talking about "scans" of their discs. Does imgburn do this or do I need something like Nero's cd-dvd speed application? What are things to look for in these scans?

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of these discs!

Thanks much!

What are things to look for in these scans?

take a look here http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=2168

you can grab dvdinfo pro here http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

For some reason neither dvdinfopro nor Nero's CD-DVD speed tool will do the scans for me on my laptop and the DVD-ROM drive in my desktop doesn't support the feature. Since I can't find much help from the sites of either of those apps, any idea why the scans would just hang forever after I start them in both apps?

If, for example, I have a movie backed up on a crappy Sony disc that skips and hangs in parts, if I rip it to an iso and then burn that on the Verbatims, should the movie work without those problems or would the skips and hangs come with the rip and thus also happen on the Verb's?

It depends on whether your drive can read the crapped out disc really. If it can't the program you are using to read it will complain and kick off and most likely won't complete the read.

If you were using a decent program to read the disc back and it made it through ok with no errors then you should be ok.

Make sure they're not fakes, try it at 4X it could just be your drive can't handle it.

Oh, can you post the log out of the failed burn please.

I'm guessing that the problem was just that my drive can't handle 8x. The average burn rate when it was set to 8x was still less than 5x, so switching it to 4x hasn't really cost me any more time, and all of the burns at 4x have been OK. I can't tell how good because I can't get Nero CD-DVD Speed or DVDInfoPro to work on either of my machines, but hopefully I can find a friend with a drive that supports it so I can compare the Nexxtech's to the Verbatim's; that is when I'd be truly happy with the new media.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.