Burning problem

Lord Di Lego

Hi

Im new to the forum, but I hope you can help me.

Here is the deal: I've been using ImgBurn 2.1.0.0 for several months and I've never had any problem whatsoever with it.

But 2 weeks ago I was going to burn a .nrg movie, wich is supposed to work.The burn-process started but then it it never came anywhere....it was completely still.No development whatsoever!So I thought there must be some mistake and I threw that dvd away inserted another one and the exact same thing happened.This time I saw that the speed started at about 2x(DVD takes up to 8x and the drive takes up to 32x)...and then kept falling....until I saw it reach 0.02x...and that was the last time I looked.I tried several other times, I even re-installed ImgBurn...but the problem was still there............

I also have Nero installed so I went to see in Nero if there was the same problem,but no...it was good.So I concluded that it must be ImgBurn's problem.When I choose the file it sais that it will take 369h(!!!!) which is just absurd..........

I even tried it with another movie(.img) that I had alredy burned in ImgBurn in less then an our...and it said it would take 249h(!!!)

Can somebody help me, please?

Ps.I' ve looked through the forum and seen that you want the brands an such.....I really dont know that much about them....but ever since I got Imgburn I havent changed anything....not even the types of DVDs.This is supposed to work!What is the problem? :'(

Edited by Lord Di Lego

Hi LD and welcome to the forum. :D

IngBurn creates a logfile that contains some necessary information that we have to be able to look at in order to eliminate several of the more common problems encountered with the process. Please post a complete copy of the log for us.... :thumbup:

have you checked out the FAQ page ?

see this post within it FAQ slow burns link, if no joy after, as per spinner above, post the log file for us to analyse

I checked that page and looked it up.I had 3 channels...only the first had that option..It didn't say anything about DMA......but i had 3 options and it was set to "Serial ATA Generation 1 - 1,5G" so it wasnt "PIO Mode".In fact it seemed to be the BIOS that had the responsabillity to choose........so that seems ok.

Since I reinstalled ImgBurn after the last try, I would guess that the logs are gone too, right?That means I?ll have to waist yet another DVD to make a new log............is there anyway that I can do this without wasting another DVD?

TELL ME IF THERE IS SOME ANOTHER WAY,PLEASE.Im new at this.Anyway, i'll post that report tomorrow if I have the time.

Thanks for your help :thumbup:

Edited by Lord Di Lego

start, right click my computer ,properties ,hardware , device manager click on ide /atapi controllers, double click primary ,advanced settings and look to see all are on ultra DMA if not right click primary click uninstall reboot your comp .Do this for secondary channel also if its not all ultra DMA .Windows will reset everything to DMA

This is how it looks like in my Device Manager.I should point out that I only have one CD/DVD-Drive.....Look at the attached pics.

This is what ImgBurn sais when you choose the file and put in the DVD.............Look at the third pic.

I'd rather not wate another DVD....but if you cant make something out of this...just tell em and I'll try to burn again to get a log file................

Thanks

post-5112-1164739761_thumb.jpg

post-5112-1164739803_thumb.jpg

post-5112-1164740133_thumb.jpg

That screenshot shows your drive only supports 2x on that media. You won't burn any faster than that even if the discs themselves ARE rated at 16x.

Are your nVidia drivers up-to-date? If not (or you're not sure), uninstall the old ones and reinstall a freshly downloaded set.

Oh and LOL, you do realise the 'Time' shown on the main GUI is not how long it's going to take to burn?!

It's to do with the size of the image in the old CD (M:S:F) time format.

i.e. where 650MB = 74mins

700MB = 80mins.

Oh....LOL......now I feel really embarresed =P

But still it doesn't make sence.......................Because it wasn't even close to that speed(2x) when I tried to burn that .nrg-movie....it just stopped...both times.......................and the second time I looked at the speed just before it went dead and it was 0.02x.......................................

And by the way......Im going tot ry it now...and I'll be trying to take screenshots a little now and then.....First, I will try a diferent file, a nrg-file too..................

Do you remember that it said that the drive could only support write speeds of 2x? Look at this screenshot..........and see what it sais this time =/

post-5112-1164810237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lord Di Lego

By the way...Yes, they are up to date.I even tried to update them bur it said that there are no newer...........

This was what happened when I tried to burn that img-file.This time it didnt even start to write on the disc.=( Yeah, at least I didnt waste another one...but Im not so sure that it is positive =D

Please Help me.........................

post-5112-1164810702_thumb.jpg

post-5112-1164810724_thumb.jpg

But....I dont think you are understanding the situation, "Lightning UK".

I've always used these discs...and there has never been any problem until now.Furthermore, the disc I was using when it only supported 2x was exactly the same disc...................??? :/

Personally, I think the whole program must be losing its mind..........And re-installing doesnt resolve the problem............

So you couldnt make anything out of that last post?What should I do? :'(

What does that error meen for example? :huh:

Edited by Lord Di Lego

If it was me,. i would change the drive, try the ttgo2 in another writer.

Try some different disc's in your LG.

Check cables, uninstall ide drivers and use built in windows drivers for the ide side of your nforce board.

I never install nvidia's ide drivers as i think they are terrible.

get your bios to re detect all your drives.

Edited by dontasciime

It really doesn't matter if you've been using those discs all along - what matters is what's happening now (and I'm prefectly capable of looking at screenshots! :P )

Discs change, drives ware out. For all you know, you could have been right on the edge of creating coasters with all the ones you've burnt. Now you're over that edge and it's all going wrong.

The only constant thing here IS the software - so no, it's not losing its mind.

Your drive is the one with the problem here. The sizes, speeds supported etc are all read from the drive. What it reports is what gets displayed - end of story.

You asked 'what does that error mean?', erm well it says 'Write Error' down the bottom so I'm gonna go with that!

Your drive errored out complaining of a write error - meaning it couldn't write to the media. I'm not sure how else I can put it :)

Where did you get your drive from? Was it just in your PC when you got it? What brand is your PC?

The first thing you do in these situations is check you're running the latest firmware.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2279

From that link I can see there's a v1.05 available.

see if someone you know has a Verbatim disc you can have and try that after you update your firmware and just to state again no its not the program thats gone crazy ,you need to look in another direction for the problen

.You mentioned you've burned a lot of those discs OK, but not that one particular disc, try another of the same kind or a few of the same kind and see what happens

Yeah, Im quite a no0b I can admit.

So, what's in the compute ris what came in it when I bought it.That also means that I have no idea of how to do that.I think I ahve been in contact with the BIOS 1 time in my life, and I dont remember how I got there............

Its an acer by the way.

Lightning, sorry if I offended you.But, as you surely must understand I am getting a bit frustratrated about this problem, because I expected you guys to know what it was.

But still, I have to disagree with you again.Its not only the software that is the same....the drive is the same(the hardware)(cant say if there were other firmware or anything) and the discs are not only frpm the same brand and with the same quality....they are from the same package :(

But ok, I agree with you, maybe it is the drive that is losing its mind.......but still....Nero runs alot better than ImgBurn for some reason.

The ones that I wasted before asking you for help were also from the same package....so were the other ones that worked before.

Ok, I got the last firmware from that site.....and it made my problem worse.

First I went to check(with the exact same disc that said 4x,8x!!!!) in ImgBurn to see what it said................

Now, Nero has lost it too..........it seems............... :|

I'll be back in 4 hours tot ell you if it managed at all or if just agve an error at the end.......... :'(

post-5112-1164907184_thumb.jpg

post-5112-1164907240_thumb.jpg

post-5112-1164907296_thumb.jpg

Its not only the software that is the same....the drive is the same(the hardware)(cant say if there were other firmware or anything) and the disc's are not only from the same brand and with the same quality....they are from the same package

MEANS zero, i have had 50 out of a spindle of 100 perfect the rest were just awful and were exactly same media code etc.

I lost faith in my lg burners seemed they would just burn whatever speed they liked with 8x rated disc's

I would still ditch nvidia ide drivers.

Edited by dontasciime

Being DVD-R, Nero will probably burn it using the 'Incremental' write mode so it can pretend to perform a short leadout.

Some drives do seem to work better using that mode than when using DAO - even though DAO is more the standard one. Buggy firmware I guess.

So you could even try that option in ImgBurn. In the 'Write' tab within settings. 'Write Mode' has a drop down box.

Good to see your drive is once again misreporting the supported speeds on the media. Had enough yet?!

Ok, but Im not looking for a way to waste money.Everything was working great and then something happend,

I wont buy a new drive unledd this one is broken

I'll take that as a joke, Lightning :D I might be a no0b at this.......but Im pretty sure that isnt good. WOW!Damn Im good! :w00t:

Ps.Thanx for the tip Lightning. I wasnt threatning anyone but ok LOL :P

Edited by Lord Di Lego

Ok,guys!Im back!

The burning process finally ended and it managed to actually burn everything without an error :ermm:

I'll believe you if you say that you can do the same thing in ImgBurn.

But back to topic, 4h too burn 4Gb is still an awful lot of time!So, if both Nero and Imgburn CAN burn stuff..........................then the problem has got to be in the drive.

I know you guys dont like this drive.But it worked fine before......................

So, there had to be some kind of change in the "settings".So, what do you think I should do to reverse the change................

One thing I was thinking about was to, somehow, reverse the drive so that it works exactly as it did when I bought the computer.Is that possible and do you think that will solve this?If Yes.....how do i do that?

Answer to lfcrule1972 : LOL If you havent understood that yet, Im a no0b at this.......so I dont change settings. :blush:

Answer to lightning: Does that change of settings apply to burning vob-files in the Build Mode?I figure if Im going to be burning 1Gb per hour...I might as well burn something that I want to :innocent:

But even if it works.I will still not be satisfied..................................I mean 4h to burn 4Gb is not brilliant.....far from it :|

So, in either case...can someone please give a quick guide too how I reset the drive to how it was when I bought it (if its possible).I want to reset all eventual changes in settings..............

Edited by Lord Di Lego

The only way I know of to re-set the drive to original settings would be to restore the original firmware that it came with.

Problems with that:

1. Older firmware will mean less support of current media, for instance latest write speeds and newest media types won't be recognised.

2. Older firmware will also mean that later fixes released by the manufacturer will not be captured. You could in fact cause yourself more problems.

Almost without exception you want the latest firmware (save for ones with known bugs) on your drive. Therefore if you have tried what the boss suggested in his post at the top of this page and that made no difference you should consider a new drive. If it's an internal one they really are cheap as chips nowadays :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.