Formatting DVD+RW

dbminter

Has anyone ever bothered to ask this? If DVD+RW's require formatting to use, which they do... why aren't they then shipped from the manufacturer already formatted? Much like how floppy disks are... well, when you can find those ancient things anymore. :lol:

Well, you can still get the MID from a DVD+RW, even if it's not formatted. But, it brings up a legitimate complaint. :) Someone at Office Depot told me that Maxell makes all their OD company branded writable disc media, both DVD and CD. So, that means that Maxell is outsourcing their DVD-R's to Ritek, because their 8x and 16x DVD-R's were Ritek, as well as their DVD+RW for them. And that they outsourced their CD production to PNY, because their MID's say PNY. So, you never can tell. Office Depot's name is on the discs, Maxell sent them to them, but, at least 2 other companies, Ritek/Ricoh and PNY, made them. :rolleyes:

So they're outsourcing their outsourcing. That must be saving them bucket loads. Next thing you know Indian call centres will be outsourced to .....

And I'm sure we used to have to format our 8 inch floppies before we used them.

Has anyone ever bothered to ask this? If DVD+RW's require formatting to use, which they do... why aren't they then shipped from the manufacturer already formatted? Much like how floppy disks are... well, when you can find those ancient things anymore. :lol:

This seems to be an ImgBurn 'issue' (for want of a better word). Please see my thread 'Disc formatting'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.