This has probably been asked before...

weAponX

imgburnlayerbreak.jpg

I have seen this error so many times I cannot count - I may as well ask, is this something to worry about or can I just ignore it, or, is there an easy fix for it?

"Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_04)

This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disk.

None of the cells meet the "DVD-Video Specification" Criteria for potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue anyway?"

I get this error when I use DVD-Shrink to create a full-sized image. My version of Shrink is 3.2.0.15 and it says "English Version" - It is not the "New Version" with the patch that is supposed to call up IMGBURN rather than DVD Decrypter for burning.

That version is neutered - Is has all of the decryption gear cut out of it like a cat that has been... De... Clawed. There is also another version of Shrink floating around that is not supposed to have the neutering in effect, but I tried that one and it always fails, crashes: Because of a DEP error (Data Execution Prevention) that I cannot call up an exclusion for.

However, this is not about Shrink - What I want to know, is how serious is this error? I have burned several DVDs where this error has popped up like a weasel- The APPEAR to run properly in my DVD player, but there is a noticeable gap during the layer break. The image kind of stops and jerks for a second.

I really do prefer the original DVD Shrink to the versions that have been altered. So, my question is: Is the use of the unaltered Shrink fouling me up? So I actually need to be using the version of Shrink that has been chopped up and has had it's heart and liver removed?

Or, is there a way I can take these ISO files and process them so that the error goes away? Is there an easy way to deal with it?

Or, best yet: has this topic been discussed elsewhere, where I can read the discussion and see what people have done about it?

OK, whoever can answer this, TIA.

BTW, Hi BluTach, I promise to behave in here. :)

dvd shrink cannot make a dual layer disc, as its name suggests it is meant for compressing films to fit on single layer media.

mount your iso in daemon tools and copy the files to your hdd

when you have the vob files on your hard disc , then follow the guides on this forum http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

dvd shrink cannot make a dual layer disc
Yah, b-b-butt:

DVD9fromouterspace.jpg

D'oh I think I am seeing the answer for me own kwestion heah:

-Tha's a damn good idea cornholio, thanx... Would PowerISO work? I got that already installed and I can mount any image it supports, which is like every image include DAA images. Cool, yah.

But that if I just did this?

nolayerbreak.jpg

Hm... I did not notice that. I have always made images with that box CHECKED - I neglected to uncheck it for DL images. Uncheck it for DL images?

Like dis:

layerbreak.jpg

when you have the vob files on your hard disc...

In other words, do a BUILD with IMGBURN right?

Well I still got the VOB files... I can do one of two things: I could RE-Shrink (Although I am not really shrinking it) in DVD Shrink WITH the layer break, and see how that works: OR I can use IMG burn to AUTHOR! AUTHOR! A new DVD using the new Authoring function of IMGburn.

Thanx mon, you have not give me one solutution, but several! Many M1 Tanx!

"Gonna roll over the red army!"

-Bradley Denton, "Wrack and Roll" c1986

Ok: Well, don't look so smug CornRoxioHolio you are 100% correct! Shrink cannot make a 2-layer cake!

I tried it on 2 different PC's - I unchecked the box, made the full sized ISO image, shoved it into IMGburn, started burning and got an immediate error that the image was not optimised for the break.

So Poo on you: You oughtta be very happy that now I gotsta re-burn about half my backed up DVDs. HAHA! (I am joking so do not take anything I say seriously unless it is a compliment)

I appreciate you giving me the scoop, the info, the lowdown, and the skinny. I just dagged the VIDEO_TS folder into IMGburn and IMGburn just assumes you wanna make a Video Disk, so it sets everything up. Even tells you where the best layer brak will be!

That's rather cool. So, Now I know what to do with DVD Shrink: And that is, to Shrink, perchance to dream, but not to make full sized copies.

Well, this is a relief and an answer to something that's been bothering me for a long time. So now I know, and I appreciate the rapid and direct response I got in here. Now I know how to do it, and it is all good.

Have a nice day and a merry X-Mas if I do not come in here in the next few weeks.

Once again, many tanx!

PS! ps ps PS!

That is a VERY GOOD set of instructions you wrote there, very clear. It makes it very easy to deal with.

I have only been burning on DL disks for the last few months, and I had felt that I was getting the layer break wrong, plus, that error message.

So now I got a good picture of what is happening thanx to you. My advice to myself after this is that I better dang read these little things you guys spend a lot of time whipping up. I have learned a lot today just by browsing around these forums, and I am not ashamed to say I do not know as much as I thought I did about backing up my property.

So, thanx again and to LuK many thanx for creating this incredible software, you are like my Idol. :P:):P

Edited by weAponX

I'll keep that in mind... I have to buy what I can afford, I have been using Memorex that they had on sale at Comp USA- They always have good disks on sale abut once a month, I go stock up.

This time I got 25 for like 50 bucks. Usually they are around 80 bucks. NewEgg should have the Verbatim if not somewhere else.

I usually put a label on the disks but still, I avoid media that is shiny smooth on one side: Those are too easy to destroy.

I'll google those verbatim and when I get em I'll try what you said.

i would avoid labels too from the reports we have seen in this forum

I use Memorex High Gloss. I have heard bad things about STOMPER, Not the apparatus, the label stock: It bubbles up and peels off.

I have never had Memorex stock peel off or bubble up - As a matter of fact, I tried to PRY a label off a DVD, it was a Memorex label, I had stuck the wrong label on the disk... I could NOT even budge it, the thing was attached like it was fused onto the DVD.

Normally I use Maxell, Memorex, Sony, TDK CD's and DVDs. I wait until they are on sale at Comp USA or Sears. Last month, I bought a stack of 50 Single layer blanks- The kind that have a surface for printing on? Well, they were supposed to be 16x, but they were not, they were 4x. Took me 3 or 4 coasters to figure out, they had labeled it wrong. Once I figured it out, they made great SL backups. Boy I wish I had a DVD labeler, one that prints right on the disk. :(:):P :P

Edited by weAponX

Epson makes printers that can do covers for dvd's dont know the current models but I have an older Epson 960 that does a great job the model EP 200,and 300 also print CD/DVD's

www.cdcovers.cc has the largest collection of covers and cd/dvd art there is great site

MEMOREX in a word SUCKS the 'brand" of media we see that causes the most errors Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden are the only way to go

I use Memorex High Gloss. I have heard bad things about STOMPER, Not the apparatus, the label stock: It bubbles up and peels off. I have never had Memorex stock peel off or bubble up - As a matter of fact, I tried to PRY a label off a DVD, it was a Memorex label, I had stuck the wrong label on the disk... I could NOT even budge it, the thing was attached like it was fused onto the DVD.

It's not just about the labels peeling off, from what I've read there are reports of them affecting the longevity of the disc itself - supposedly something to do with the glue. I've just stayed away from them myself.

Normally I use Maxell, Memorex, Sony, TDK CD's and DVDs. I wait until they are on sale at Comp USA or Sears. Last month, I bought a stack of 50 Single layer blanks- The kind that have a surface for printing on? Well, they were supposed to be 16x, but they were not, they were 4x. Took me 3 or 4 coasters to figure out, they had labeled it wrong. Once I figured it out, they made great SL backups.

The speed you can burn at is dependant upon whether the drive firmware supports those particular disc's at that particular speed. Doesn't mean that they are mislabelled, but with the quality of some of those brands you mentioned, I'd hate to rely on any of them burnt in a drive that did support and burn them up to 16x.

As polopony says "Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden are the only way to go". They aren't really more expensive when you factor in the lack of coasters, and reburning of discs that have started to break down after a few years.

i would avoid labels too from the reports we have seen in this forum

I use Memorex High Gloss. I have heard bad things about STOMPER, Not the apparatus, the label stock: It bubbles up and peels off.

I have never had Memorex stock peel off or bubble up - As a matter of fact, I tried to PRY a label off a DVD, it was a Memorex label, I had stuck the wrong label on the disk... I could NOT even budge it, the thing was attached like it was fused onto the DVD.

in the beginning I used stomper and all the labels are still fine .The problem with the labels if I remember right was the glue or something in the glue leeching through the disc and corrupting the data /video/audio on it ,its a situation that has been debated for a long time

dvd shrink cannot make a dual layer disc, as its name suggests it is meant for compressing films to fit on single layer media.

when you have the vob files on your hard disc , then follow the guides on this forum http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

cornholio7, it seems that DVDShrink 3.2.0.15 can make a full disk backup to your hardrive without any compression. Is there anything wrong with using Imgburn to then build the ISO file using the backup files that DVDShrink creates?

point imgburn at the files , it will build an iso if you want it to or burn them direct to dvd, the choice is yours, personally i don't build dual layer iso's any more i burn direct to disc, but i dont use shrink in my process at all for dual layer ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.