Auto Book Type Setting-Samsung 182M

budzos

I have a Samsung 182M burner and unlike the rest of my burners I am unable to set the book type to rom permanently

in ImgBurn. I realize this is most likely a firmware issue but if I set it to booktype my disc to rom the first disc I burn after I set it turns out right but every disc after reverts back to +R. My suggestion is that maybe there could be a checkbox to automatically

default all burns to rom reguardless of the burner that could be switched on or off so that people like me who own Samsung burners

or possibly some others brands out there don't have to set the book type after every single burn. I have heard that Nero will auto

set the Samsung to rom but I prefer to not use Nero. Thanks for the great program and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Budzos

Doing some quick Googling indicates that the Samsung drive clears the booktype every tme the drive tray ejects. Apparently the Nero product issues the command to book type before every burn.

I do not know if IB issues the command every time or only once through the burn process, we'll have to wait for the :worthy: Boss :worthy: to look at this one. :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies and the info. I have about a dozen burners and the Samsung is the only one that is a pain this way.

Maybe somebody will write a firmware to defeat this if it is even possible.

Budzos

I thought that ImgBurn issues the command only when you set it via the book icon on the GUI ? I might be wrong but I don't think it's something that the bosses program does (or should do) without the users instruction......

I would have thought that maybe there is a hacked firmware or program to defeat this out there somewhere, I recall another drive like this (one that blu has) maybe an LG (?) and there is a program that works round it.

LFC is correct, ImgBurn only does booktype stuff when the user initiates it via the little book icon thingy in the GUI.

I don't like the idea of always sending the booktype commands because then you need to keep tabs on which drives need it and keep adding new ones to the list. I prefer to stick with things that 'should' work forever without me needing to update the program for new model drives etc.

As samsung and LG are the real problems, maybe I could just do it for those. The only thing stopping me is my own stubbornness as I've obviously already written the functions to be able to do it, it's just a case of me adding a line of code calling that function with the correct parameters!

I see your point, why complicate something that works for the majority, I imagine that sometime down the road somebody

may hack the firmware again for this drive again and fix this issue. The firmware has already been tweaked once to fix the -R

lead in issues. Thanks again for the great program and enjoy your holiday season.

Budzos

I guess the real question is then, When can we expect the next version to be released?

Thanks, Budzos

its never a firm date but look at the bright side if it was out then your fix would have to wait for the next version ,I'm pretty sure it will be soon

I found 5 mins to implement it, so DVDROM booktyping is now automatic for Samsung and LG drives - as they're the only ones that don't remember their settings.

More info please boss, when you say 'automatic', the user still chooses the book type, then it's there for ever? (until you change it).

Or, the app will query the drive, and if it returns Samsung or LG, it will automaticly set the book type without user intervention?

Basically, Samsumg (using the identifier 'TSSTcorp') and LG (using the identifier 'HL-DT-ST') drive owners will automatically (and by default) have all their +R / +RW / +R DL media changed to look like a DVDROM disc via bitsetting.

It's an ON/OFF option. (Again, ON by default)

Either the program tells the drive to change the book type to DVDROM or it doesn't and the drive will do whatever it had already been told to do by other programs (or by ImgBurn's 'Change Book Type' screen).

(Note: +RW bitsetting isn't supported by the LG drives though - so far as I can tell)

The booktype commands are sent to the drive before each and every burn the program makes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.