Any disadvantage to leaving Lock Volume off?

Mike89

I had an issue where when burning an iso with Imgburn, another program I was running at the same time would not burn on another drive. It couldn't find the drive. I took the check out of the "Lock Volume - Exclusive Access" in Imgburn and that fixed that problem. I could then burn at the same time from Imgburn to one drive and another program to another drive.

Is there any disadvantage to just leaving that box unchecked all the time? What's it even for?

Edited by Mike89

its there to insure that you dont have any other program try to use the drive and screw up the burn .Burning to 2 different drives at the same time must put a pretty good load on the computer. Personally I just burn one thing at a time and have never had ny problems

its there to insure that you dont have any other program try to use the drive and screw up the burn.

I would imagine that the burning could get screwed if you open windows explorer or possibly even just an open or save dialog in another program. On my system it tends to poll the optical drives to see if there's any media in there when I open explorer.

I have 3 DVD burners. One SATA on it's own channel and the other 2 on 1 IDE channel (my mb only has 1 IDE connection). As long as I burn using a combination where the two on the IDE channel aren't burning or off loading at the same time, I notice no slow down at all. I can even pull up two instances of Imgburn and burn on each one at the same time with no slow down at all. I can also do other things while all this is happening with none or negligible slow down (of course there are limits to that). The nice benefit of having a dual core cpu and having DVD drives on separate channels. My 2 HDDs are also on separate channels so I can go from one HDD to DVD Drive (or DVD drive to HDD) and the other HDD to DVD (or DVD to HDD) at the same time with no slow down. I figure since I've spent all these bucks for the system I built, I might as well utilize its capabilities. I like to test the system, to see what it can do and what it can't.

Edited by Mike89

Locking only locks the one drive you're burning to, and only when you're burning.

So, I'm not sure why this other program would need access to it anyway. It should just ignore that drive if ImgBurn is burning and has it locked for its exclusive usage and then display the remaining drives. If it doesn't do that, the software needs fixing.

Thanks for the info. Yeah it was kinda weird. It wasn't try to access the drive Imgburn was using, it wouldn't let me access my other two DVD drives (the ones Imgburn was not using). When unlocking the drive in Imgburn, when Imgburn was using one drive, the other program would then let me access the other drives. That sounds like a strange glitch.

Edited by Mike89

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.