"Disc Not Empty" Error

opieandy

I am trying to burn to a DVD+RW that has plenty of space available. Why does IMG expect such a disc to be empty? Is there any way to record on this disc?

In case it is important, this disc was originally written on in a DVD recorder, not in my PC. Does that make a difference? Do I need to reformat it on my PC? If so, how do I format it? It doesn't seem that's the issue since IMG apparently recognizes the disc, it just doesn't like the fact that it's empty.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by opieandy

I tried erasing the disc through the IMG menu, but I got an error message and the "OH NO" audible message. Yikes. Here is the data in the IMG Burn screen:

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B 1.00 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2,295,104

Size: 4,700,372,992 bytes

Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: RICOHJPN-W11-01

Book Type: DVD+RW

Part Version: 2

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Current Format Capacity:

Maximum Format Capacity:

right click on the burner and choose erase disc and from that choose full or quick.

Yes, I tried that, but it would not erase the disc. Well, actually I tried to do it through IMG. When I go into Windows Explorer and view the properties of the DVD, it shows as full. 1.80 GB used, 0 GB available. Aren't these DVDs supposed to hold 4.7 GB?

Windows Explorer will not allow me to erase or delete any files. I get a message that the files are read-only, and I cannot move or copy them. However, I know my DVD recorder will let me delete them. I deleted a program from the DVD yesterday that was using half of the space on the DVD, so it has at least half of the space full.

Could there be an issue because this DVD was originally used to record programs in a DVD recorder? Do I need to get a blank DVD+RW to use in the PC?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by opieandy

Your drive doesn't support that +RW.

It's seeing it as a DVD-ROM disc and hence won't overwrite the date, nor will it erase it.

Thanks. The exterior of the drive says "DVD-ROM", and in another spot says "ReWritable", though the latter appears to apply to CDs.

In any case, ImgBurn will always want a 100% empty disc so whatever's left on it from before will be erased.

OK, thanks.

Chris

So you need to get a DVD?RW drive to burn DVDs then :)

I never had any interest in doing this task on the PC, but it seemed to be emerging as a viable alternative. However, after doing almost nonstop research over the weekend and a ton after work last week, I'm going with the only easy and reliable route I can find. The task is converting all my miniDV camcorder tapes to DVD. No editing, no titles, nothing fancy, just a straight, reliable copy. My camcorder died and there are very few miniDV camcorders available with an S-video port, and of the two HDD DVD recorders I'm interested in (Pioneer 640 and Panasonic EH55), the Pioneer does not have a DV in, and the Panasonic has a DV in, but stops recording whenever there is even a slight gap in the recording. Alas, modern technology is one step forward, ten steps backward. I'm getting the cheapest miniDV camcorder I can find to function as a playback unit only, and using good, old fashioned composite cables to transfer to a DVD recorder.

Chris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.