Advice on Invision Power Board forum software

Defenestration

I've got myself a licence for IPB and want to set up a forum with it. I did a test installation, and noticed that the username you enter for the administrative account during installation ends up being added to the "Root Admin" group which is highlighted with a red colour.

I noticed on the ImgBurn forum that LUK! is a member of the "Admin" group which is also highlighted with a red colour.

I'm wondering whether it's good practice to have one username which is used solely for root administrative tasks, and then have another username which is used for general purposes including normal admin tasks ?

I'm thinking that this way a hacker would have to guess both the username and the password to get root admin access, since you would mainly only be logged on with the admin user and not the root admin user.

Is this what you have done LUK!, or have you just changed the name of the "Root Admin" group to just "Admin", and so have single username with root admin access ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

D ,I dont know but would it be wise for LUK to reply on this forum (public) how he set up his account and what he might or might not use as his info ,it might serve you better if you PM'd him and did it privately and it might offer a little more protection for you both

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.