locked up after formatting

Guest kc 1

First time trying to use this seems to have ended in disaster

The nterface completely locked up after saying it had formatted the disc ("Erasing 100%", the back to "Erasing 0%"), then nothing. Tried to close the program but no interface components at all were responsive.

So I left it for a while (4 hours and 50 minutes), but nothing changed, so CTRL ALT DEL and kill the imgburn process. Then the drive wouldn't eject the disc, but kept trying to read it.

Then tried to reboot, but the drive wont let it load windows, so took the drive out.

Setup is/was MSI DVD+-R/RW 8x Int IDE in a SHUTTLE XPC S478 Intel 875P, P4E 3.2 1MB, running XPSP2.

Any suggestions or has it just toasted my drive?

Pop the disk out of the drive using a paper clip or thick needle pushed into the small hole on the front of the drive and put the drive back into your PC. Your computer may be getting stuck trying to read a stuffed (fooked) disk.

EDIT: I found you a picture. :)

wgs-40.jpg

Edited by Shamus_McFartfinger

Sending commands to a drive in the way I (and all other burning programs do), should NEVER kill a drive - unless of course, the drive is crap, the drive is crap Or the drive is crap. I think you can see where I'm going with this ;)

Once you get it working again, make sure you check that it's firmware is up-to-date.

btw, for the formatting part, if its was on a DVD+RW, this 100% -> 0% is normal.

It'll do 0%... 100% for the 'Foreground' format bit, then 0 - 100% for the 'Background' format. Those percentage values come direct from the drive, rather than me guessing how much has been completed.

is it doing an erase / format at this precise moment in time?

Those % values come from what the drive is saying - can't help it if they're not valid and therefore what you'd expect.

The format/erase process is something the drive does internally, you just tell it to do it. You then query the drive every so often until it says it's finished. It's that query that gives us the % complete value.

Im going to test at my other, more pro burner now. Ill see if i can get it to work. Becouse ive fucked 4 DVDs :/

Well im going to burn down my backup of my PS2 game. What do i need to do? Ive got a ISO. Do i need to format it before? And if so must i do it with imgburner? Please help me.

Could we talk over IM or something?

Edited by Mellow

• 2 months later...
...unless of course, the drive is crap, the drive is crap Or the drive is crap. I think you can see where I'm going with this ;)

Oh yeah, right - it'll be the drive that's crap instead of the software that's crap for not error trapping drive issues (if indeed there are any drive issues) properly. What a crap response - how come the drive is not crap with any other software...?

btw, for the formatting part, if its was on a DVD+RW, this 100% -> 0% is normal.

It'll do 0%... 100% for the 'Foreground' format bit, then 0 - 100% for the 'Background' format.

So is it normal to take > 4.5 hours?

So, new drive (another MSI), up-to-date-firmware, new version of ImgBurn (1.2), branded discs...same result.

Log says:

I 13:16:27 ImgBurn Version 1.2.0.0 started!

I 13:16:27 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 13:16:27 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:16:27 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 13:16:27 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD?RW!

I 13:17:33 Operation Started!

I 13:17:33 Device: [0:0:0] ATAPI DVD RW 8XMax 150D (G:) (ATA)

I 13:17:33 Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: OPTODISC-OP4-01) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x)

I 13:17:33 Quick Erase: No

I 13:17:33 Erasing Disc...

Imgburn shows:

bbs8fw.jpg

Its now been 2 hours and 37 minutes...

...any suggestions (more helpful than "crap drive")?

Edited by kc 1

kc 1, I know your fustrated, but with an attitude like that I think you'll be hard pressed to get any help here. LUK ( author of this program ) knows what he's talking about is only suggesting what he feels is the cause of your problems. I had the same problem as you way back when, and when I replaced my drive everything worked 100%.

You asked a question and got an honest answer, there's always other resources for you to seek help with your problems in. >_<

P.S. This software is far from crap. Given the number of other programs that link to it for the burning part of said programs.......... :angry::thumbup:

All our Beta Testers know their stuff inside out as well, 99% of the time what they post is the fact of the problem.

* RANT OFF *

Edited by kevdriver

The program traps errors perfectly, ImgBurn is one of the only tools that gives you a full description for every possible error a drive could return.

The problem here is that the drive is not returning ANY error at all - or more to the point, it's not returning anything full stop.

You've got an un-named drive, with media that's not recommended either.

I'd tell you to look for an updated firmware but I've no idea what your drive is. All the decent ones show their name in the device string, as you can see, yours hides it and just says 'ATAPI DVD RW 8XMax' - hmm that's helpful!

Press the F8 key and you'll see info being sent to the drive scrolling up in the log window. If you don't see anything scrolling, your drive (or drivers) have accepted a command and just sat on it - not returning an error and not saying it was successful. What do you want me to do, guess how it turned out?

...with an attitude like that...
attitudes are developed...stimulus -> response

You asked a question and got an honest answer...
honest: yes, helpful: no

Anyway, prolonging this part of the thread is not helpful either, so rant understood, now back to the problem:

You've got an un-named drive...updated firmware

According to the 'Details' tab in the Device Manager, it's an MSI DR8-A2, OEM is Accesstek, chipset is from Sanyo, firmware is 160D

with media that's not recommended either.
...by who?, why?...what's better?

Press the F8 key and you'll see info being sent to the drive scrolling up in the log window...
I'll try this when on the next drive - this one has died the same death as the other one.

What do you want me to do, guess how it turned out?
hmmm facetious...what was that about attitude?....no I don't want you to do that, but a practical suggestion would be to have a list of compatibility on your main site or here so that you can say which drives (you consider "crap", which media are "not recommended".

take a visit to the drives and media forum http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=15 here you will see many scans of different media on different drives.

drives returning generic information do not usually give good results and your drives 'dying' so quickly may give you some idea of what is meant by crap.

take a visit to the drives and media forum http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=15 here you will see many scans of different media on different drives.

drives returning generic information do not usually give good results and your drives 'dying' so quickly may give you some idea of what is meant by crap.

Two different, very mainstream drives. Work perfectly with Nero, InterVideo, WinDVD creator & many other software products. Name seems to be found in all the other software too....BUT it must be the drives, not this particular piece software that's the problem.....even though, let' see, ah yes - they died when this software was controlling them.

What a collective attitude! ...extraordinary.

The review for that drive did not show very good results and the drive itself is a rebadged Optorite,one of the cheaper drives available

# Poor DVD+/-R/RW writing quality with most disc types

# Does not even qualify as a ?1 sheep? writer in the sheep test.

# Does not support Mt. Rainier.

# Does not support writing/reading 99 minutes CD-R discs.

# Does not support bitsetting for any media types.

# Slow at writing DVD-R at 8x.

# Few CD-R discs that works with the HD-BURN technology, HD-BURN created discs works in almost no drives.

# Poor CD-RW writing quality

# Slows down writing speed on many DVD+/-R discs when writing

The program follows the MMC specs. All drives since about 2000 are supposed to follow them. As such, there is no need for a compatibility list.

Oh and according to the log, your drive reports its name as

ATAPI DVD RW 8XMax 150D

I see no 'name' in there, nor do I see 160D firmware.

Like I said earlier, I don't like guessing games so I can only go on the info you provide.

Recommended media is what 9 out of 10 forums tell you to buy. i.e. Verbatim (MCC dye), Taiyo Yuden etc.

Drive wise, go for the big names. NEC, BenQ, Plextor, Pioneer, LiteOn.

Those makes are popular for a reason... they tend to work and generally have decent firmware with frequent updates!

This arguing is getting us nowhere. If the program isn't working for you, and you're still looking to blame the program rather than anything else, go find some other tool to do your burning. It's free to use so just cast it aside and forget you ever set eyes on it.

I see no 'name' in there, nor do I see 160D firmware.

Like I said, if windows control panel and Nero, etc. can find it I'm surprised your program can't.

...go find some other tool to do your burning. It's free to use so just cast it aside and forget you ever set eyes on it.

Feedback is a gift. Glad to see you value it so highly and take problems so seriously.

I do indeed use other programs and it looks like I will have to stick with them. Good luck.

Don't give it up so easy...PC components are meant to drive you to a nervous breakdown.

First try updating the firmware to the latest version from the Msi site

Release new F/W version: 160D

1. Enhance Read/Write performance.

2. Enhance DVD?R/RW media compatibility to support more discs on the market

Looking at the reviews for the media you are using,it is not the best in the world but neither the worst.

Do you have any other re-writeable media of a different brand to try to see whether it is the media causing problems

Eliminating all possible causes can be time consuming but also acts a knowledge base for others when problems are solved.

I have been using this program as well as dvddecrypter for a long time and after installing the latest version suffered from the same slow down,buffer problem that others have already stated,but no way would I give up using it because it wasnt working at 110% efficiency,but wouldrather wait for the fix that I'm sure is coming.

Look at all the logs in the media forum - yes, there's about 250 of them.

Oh funny, it shows the names for all of them just fine!

Hmmm strange that it just doesn't work for you drive. Must be a glitch. LOL

Feedback is valuable to me, yes. I take bug reports and suggestions very seriously unless I know them to be complete bullshit.

Again, take a look in those forums and see for yourself.

What you're accusing ImgBurn of doing (stuffing up your drive) is total nonsense.

I don't send any nasty commands to the drive and so if it messes up, it only has itself to blame.

It's like me asking you to walk forwards and you taking it upon yourself to walk in the direction of an oncoming bus. If you get run over, that's your fault, not mine.

Does it not occur to you that something as serious as killing drives MIGHT just have been reported elsewhere if it were a real issue?!

Software that's been around for 3 years would have generally had something written about it if that was the case.

I have about 40 drives in total now, testing the program on a daily basis.

Not once have I had anything go wrong with them.

Going back to the media forum, those 250 odd logs prove it works with several drives without killing them, and on pretty much every bit of media we could find. You can see that with your own eyes.

I'm sorry but all that really doesn't work in your favour.

What a collective attitude! ...extraordinary.
I've followed this thread since you started it kc and it seems to me that you took an attitude after you didn't get the answer(s) you thought you should. You appeared to be combative almost every step of the way.

Most of the members here, myself included, will go out of their way to help someone but not when the person who needs the help has your attitude. None of us get a damn thing except the satisfaction that comes when we are able to solve a problem. I can't speak for the others but I wouldn't lift a finger to help you now. In fact I don't believe you ever had a problem. I think you came here to cause problems. If I'm mistaken I am sorry, but that's how it seems to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.