ImgBurn 2.2 DL Media Probs

Lord Sesshomaru

First off, lemme say I'm a huge fan of ImgBurn, used it since v1.2 when I first became aware of it, I swear by it and recommend it to others without hesitation.

That being said, I recently updated to ImgBurn 2.2. I've used 2.1 to successfully backup 30+ 360 games on Verb DVD+R DL media with no probs. The L0 is set correctly to 1913760, my 360 is modded, and CMC Mag is a profanity in my house, never comes near my burner or 360, I only use Taiyo Yuden's for DVD-5 media and Verb DVD+R DL for DVD-9 media. I tried to backup two Dual Layer discs of late, one for PS2 and one for Xbox 360. The layer break was set to auto for PS2 (which always worked in the past for PS2), and 1913760 for my Xbox 360 backup. The PS2 backup booted, but lagged horribly on Verb's, and would lock up at load screens. I reburned it with DVD Decrypter and it worked fine. My Xbox 360 backup wouldn't boot at all, just gave me disc read errors. I reburned it with ImgBurn 2.1, worked perfectly. I have a Liteon 16W1P with the current firmware (none available at present, just stock fw). My burner is in DMA, I have 300+ PS2 backups, 200+ Xbox 1 backups, and 40+ 360 backups, so I'm not new or anything. I burn my DVD-9 backups at 4x on 8x discs, and never had probs with ImgBurn 2.1, CloneCD, or Xbox Backup Creator. I have one other confirmed report of this, a friend of mine backed up a 360 game that he has made several successful copies of with ImgBurn 2.1 and CloneCD. He burned it at 4x with ImgBurn 2.2, and got Disc Read Errors on his modded 360. After two DL coasters, I uninstalled 2.2 and went back to 2.1.

Obviously this hasn't been replicated enough to confirm any kind of bug report. My instincts just tell me it's something that changed in the ImgBurn 2.2 update concerning DL write strategies. Due to the high cost of DL media, I'm not willing to do any kind of in-depth experimentation and see if I can find the source of the problem, or even that the recent ImgBurn update is the cause. I just wanted to put a word of warning out to anyone who uses ImgBurn 2.2 to backup DL media, particularly on Xbox 360 or other consoles, and give the creators some feedback. Thanks for any input from Lightning UK. As someone who's active in the console modding community, we owe you guys a huge debt; ImgBurn/DVD Decrypter are the holy grail of console backups, keep up the great work!

Edited by Lord Sesshomaru

In all honesty, I never really use the logs. I regularly maintainence my PC, and I almost never have probs with burning apps. Most times if there's a prob, it's common sense stuff anyway. I don't want to sac any more DL media, but maybe in the interest of solving this, I will or find someone knowledgeable who has a log with ImgBurn 2.2 and DL media on standby. I never really use the verify feature either, it doesn't seem to make much difference imo. ImgBurn is so reliable that I've never needed to use it. I've never had any problems with ImgBurn that I can recall in hundreds of burns. If I decide to burn another DL disc with ImgBurn 2.2 or can find someone willing to share a log, I will definitely post it. Thanks for the input.

I deleted all traces of ImgBurn 2.2, so the logs are gone. I realize that it isn't possible to get an accurate picture of what's going on without the log. I really don't think it was a bad burn, two DL Verb coasters in four burns is pretty unlikely. Can I prove it wasn't a bad burn? No. I just trust my instincts.

I appreciate the help. I think I will go ahead and backup an iso that I know works and post the log, that way you guys can look through it. It's certainly possible I missed something or there's an errant setting. Will post when I get a chance, thanks for the input.

did you check the logs are stored by default in

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Imgburn

to get there easily type %appdata%/Imgburn in the run ,to see if the folder exists and the logs in it. :)

Edited by dirio49

We'd burnt hundreds of DL discs with 2.2 during the beta cycle, and as always, it's the drive that controls the 'write strategies' (and ultimately, the burn quality), not the software. The software simply sends the data - and if that didn't work, nothing would work!

I did another one last night upon reading this and it's working fine.

I realize that the vast majority of coasters are user error. I myself hold that maxim to be true in the mod community. I don't feel that is the case here. I have burned 1,000+ discs in the past year and am fairly knowledgeable about DVD Media. Of the coasters I've had with DL media in my last 40 burns, there have been 3. One was a bad disc (0 quality in CD/DVD Speed) and the other two with ImgBurn 2.2. More than likely it's a setting thing in ImgBurn 2.2. I'm not pointing the finger, and I certainly could be wrong. The main purpose of this post is to gather input and see if anyone else has similar probs. I appreciate your input, and will tweak some settings and see what I find. No one should have to endure DL coasters, too expensive lol.

By "tweak" I mean that I disabled some warning dialogues, disabled verify, and set the L0 break to 1913760, which is mandatory in DVD Decrypter/ImgBurn for 360 backups to boot on a modded Xbox 360. Obviously none of that is affecting my burn. I've never used verify or logs in previous versions of ImgBurn and never had probs. With both games, I later burned successful backups with other programs. I am virtually certain the problem is not the media, I don't use budget media, only Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. My burner has no probs burning other stuff, is in DMA, has correct jumper settings, and up-to-date firmware. I burn at half the rated speed of the disc (on DL media anyway). It comes down to whether or not I want to burn more DL games that I know will be coasters. I'm undecided on that. If I do, I'll post the logs. If not, I'll use ImgBurn 2.1 for 360 backups.

and set the L0 break to 1913760, which is mandatory in DVD Decrypter/ImgBurn for 360 backups to boot on a modded Xbox 360

No it's not and hasn't been since v2.0.0.0 added support for reading it from the .DVD file.

Just burn a disc and verify it (using 2.2 of course) and then post a 'Disc Quality / PIPO' scan. Of course you should also post the full log.

I've done a few more since your initial post and they've all been fine. Seriously, whatever the issue is, it's not the software.

I bet if you compared the burn at a 'commands sent to the drive' level, both versions would be identical. As I said before, all the program does is send data to the drive, it's hardly difficult and there's very little room for error.

If your drive is producing duff burns, thats nothing to do with the program - and I'm not just saying that because ImgBurn is my program, I'm saying because it's the truth.

My burner is in DMA, I have 300+ PS2 backups, 200+ Xbox 1 backups, and 40+ 360 backups, so I'm not new or anything. I burn my DVD-9 backups at 4x on 8x discs, and never had probs with ImgBurn 2.1, CloneCD, or Xbox Backup Creator. I have one other confirmed report of this, a friend of mine backed up a 360 game that he has made several successful copies of with ImgBurn 2.1 and CloneCD. He burned it at 4x with ImgBurn 2.2, and got Disc Read Errors on his modded 360. After two DL coasters, I uninstalled 2.2 and went back to 2.1.

maybe your burner has burnt out .

can you not burn them at 2.4X

All my 360 backups on verb dl At 2.4x with ImgBurn 2.2.0.0 are the same as when i used previous version, IF your sure software is at fault and nothing else then use other software, This if i was the author of the program would annoy the hell out of me as it has been pointed out the commands sent to your drive are the exact same ones from the previous version.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a couple weeks, and I was debating whether or not to give ImgBurn 2.2 another go. I really like the features, I just am leary about wasting DL discs. Since this thread was started, I've burned 10+ 360 games using ImgBurn 2.1 fine, so that should debunk any theories about my burner being the prob.

My thoughts are as follows: Before I had the Vista Transformation Pack installed- which is known to make it impossible to rip 360 games with a Samsung SHD-162C. Uninstalling/removing/system restore/registry backups won't fix that, only a complete format and reinstall will remove the Vista Pack completely. I've since done that with a clean reinstall of XP, so the Vista Pack may have been at fault. Or, perhaps manually adjusting the layer break in ImgBurn 2.2 isn't necessary. I know LightningUK pointed out that the ability to import L0 info from a dvd file was present for ImgBurn 2.0 and later, but in the gui (on my setup at least), it would still read as 2xxxxxxx something with the layer break left on user specified when importing the dvd file to ImgBurn. It may indeed sort it correctly while burning, I'm just saying what the gui shows. Needless to say, I backed up Phantasy Star Universe with no probs using ImgBurn 2.2. What changed my mind was sosoit from the xbox-scene forums. I've read a couple of his posts, and he seems very sharp with accurate info. He endorsed ImgBurn 2.2, and other people haven't had problems with it. It's one game, and no definitive conclusions can be drawn from that, but I'm glad it worked. I will report back. Btw, if my reaction was defensive before, it was for good reason- I am a moderator at Xtreme-Source.com, and have authored several guides on PS2/Xbox 1/360 modding/backups/software, etc. I am certainly fallable, but I am definitely no newbie, I just kinda felt I was being addressed that way. In the end, I love ImgBurn, nothing will change that. It has earned my trust for 500+ successful PS2/Xbox 1/360 backups with less than a 1% coaster rate.

Still the software is not at fault, and it gets pretty annoying when people post version 2.X is fine but new version is creating coasters. (to be then told it is not possible) then for the original poster to say WELL IT HAS TO BE, It's been tested with countless drives in numerous scenarios (poor drivers and corruption should be first port of call, then down to hardware/ cable/ MEDIA etc (saying as they were verb media should not be the issue)

It would drive me mad if i was the author.

Not quite sure what you mean by manually entering layerbreak as there is no need when you have a correct .DVD file as alls thats in it is the layerbreak and ISO name.

With regards to the LB, you should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER (get the idea?) leave it on 'User Specified'.

That's supposed to be a 1 time only setting for advanced users that need it on something specific for a SINGLE burn.

The value in the .DVD/.MDS is only used if the program is set to 'Calculate Optimal'.

I noticed a lot of people were messing up because they had played with the settings and so 2.2.0.0 actually tried to prevent that by pointing out that the 'custom' value and .dvd/.mds value (if specified) were different, if indeed they were.

Forcing people to set specific options they don't understand only causes them problems later on when they try to burn different image, so please, try to teach them to leave it on 'calculate optimal' and just rely on the .DVD/.MDS file instead.

I also experienced some odd behavior with Imgburn 2.2 and burning 360 DL media. I'm running Vista Ultimate and using Matrix 2.4x (oem Ricoh) certified DL discs. I had good results using the XBC burn engine. I also have Nero 7.7.5 installed. However, I decided to install Imgburn 2.2 as I prefer that as my burning tool. I adjusted no settings on Imgburn except unchecking the verify option. After install, my next 10 burns produced 8 coasters, all failing with a media sense error. Three failed while finalizing track, 3 failed right after lead-in, and the other 2 failed in the middle near the 50% mark. One of the discs I thought burned properly actually did not record properly. I kept thinking it must be the cheap media I purchased, though this was an extreme number of problematic discs. I realized that the only thing to change was the installation of Imgburn. After uninstalling Imgburn and rebooting, I produced 3 discs, all perfect. Imgburn must have somet type of effect as the coasters were produced even when I selected alternative burn engines such as XBC or Nero. There is definitely some type of correlation here, perhaps a dll? A correlation definitely seems to exist. I eventually would like to use Imgburn again but I would need to have this problem examined. Is there any type of troubleshooting steps I can take to see what may have been the cause of the problem?

Mmm I think that you just had a batch of bad quality DL's, I am sure you have seen how many times we recommend Verbatim DVD+R DL's and it's for these reasons. 8 crap burns and then 3 good ones sounds about right to me.

You may not be convinced but I have never seen any issues with ImgBurn affecting other burning programs, the first thing we always do when trouble shooting is to check the media, your current choice is poor and whislt it may be cheap is it worth these hassles ?

My first step would be to buy Verbatim DVD+R DL media and burn it at 2.4x. :)

Yes there are some steps

1 ditch the crap media you have (which is hit and miss) hence why you got 8 out of 10 coasters, You say this was after you installed ImgBurn 2.2.0.0.

If you had a time machine and you went back and did not install ImgBurn, the other burning programs you have would have done exactly the same, They may not have reported the errors but they would have still been present.

You may say well that cannot be right COS after i Un-installed it i got 3 that worked, YEAH , just goes to prove that the media you have is crap and unpredictable.

Check you drive has the most current firmware, then get some verbatim dual layer.

If you still have problems then you have other problems, maybe drive is faulty or your operating system needs reinstalling as you only know yourself what kinda crap you have installed into your computer.

Other than that if you still think your right then you have the right to use something else.

[Edit] Ntos type faster, thats 2x today

ImgBurn is JUST an exe file. There are no DLLs so there's no chance it could break anything else.

There's also no way 2.2.0.0 is the cause of your problems. I'm sure that between us (myself and the beta team), we'd easily done a few hundred before 2.2.0.0 was even release to the world. If there was a problem, we'd have spotted it.

Software actually plays a very small part in the burning phase, it simply supplies the drive with data. It has no control over burn quality etc so if you get errors when reading the disc back, you can ONLY blame the hardware / media.

I have a spindle of verbatim on the way and I'll try Imgburn again. Confirmed firmware on burner Sony AQ170 (oem NEC or whatever that partnership they created is called...optiaca or something like that) is new (drive is about 1 month old and has seen very little action). Almost nothing installed on this machine. Windows Ultimate 32 bit, hotfixes, Nero, DVD Fab, MS Office 2007. I'll give it another shot when the new media arrives but the tally so far is:

1/10 good burns with Imgburn installed (Imgburn said 1 more was good but it doesn't read on any drives). The one "good" burn also stutters a lot.

10/10 good burns without Imgburn.

Something does look suspect based on those results but of course this is all on Matrix (oem Ricoh) media and sample size is small. I'll rule out media when the new ones arrive. I'll even purchase a couple of other burners so we rule that out as well. Hopefully I can post back my findings in a week or two when everything comes in. I never had a previous version of ImgBurn on this PC so I can't say what I am seeing is specific to 2.2. It just so happens that is version I was using and what the thread creator stated as being perhaps problematic. I'm just confused why I'm seeing these results so please don't take this as an attack on the product (or the members responsible for its development). On the contrary, it's because the product proved so good in the past that I want to figure out why this is happening.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.