Multisession Disk

ol'lo

Thanks LUK for this great app. It has almost every feature which you can ask for...and then some more. But I was unable to find the option for making multisession disk or importing previous sessions!! Is there an option to do so or not?? I'm sorry if this query has been posted before.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That all depends on how you like to work.

I personally have no need for multisession and actually don't like it much. If I want to burn something, I'll burn enough to fill a disc or burn to a rewritable. If I need to add more, I'll just burn it all again - but then it's my own fault for not remembering that extra bit in the first place.

If I can't wait the extra few mins to burn the disc again (CDs/DVDs are for archival purposes so there should never be a rush), I'd use a memory stick - in fact, I almost always use a memory stick over cd/dvd.

So in short, I don't know when (if ever) it'll be implemented. Sorry.

You are right. Even I don't like it much. But I'm talking about the bigger disks like HD-DVDs and BRDs. You have to reserve 25GB of disk space just to have enough data to completely fill up the disk. And if there is a disk crash or some other accident....everything's gone!!! Now you may say that its better to use RW media (specially when BRD R and RW are of nearly same price)...but then we will be always writing on the sectors at the starting position whereas sectors at the ending position remain largely unused. This will reduce the readability of the starting sectors. Whereas in multisession it can be avoided to some extent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If this software could feature multiple sessions and multi-track discs, it could render any and all other disc authoring programs on the planet redundant. It's two features short of being the definitive disc authoring program. Multi session is of more importance to me and so I've posted it here.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, many thanks to LUK for this great app :thumbup:. For Vista users it is about all there is to choose from in the way of free burning software that is worth a toot, and in fact is a better application than most of the retail software. That said, I was very disappointed to find that ImgBurn does not support multi-session data burning. I am a graphics designer and backup my work daily to removable media (cd) as do my associates. Flash drives, thumb drives, re-writables (suck), whatever, are just not practical in this circumstance. Please incorporate multi-session capability into this fine cd/dvd burning application and make it the greatest free burning software available. LUK, you will go down in software authoring history as one of the greatest if you do. I will will check back often for that new and improved version!

Edited by Guildster

• 1 month later...

I've just been comparing 7 different portable burners & ImgBurn was the clear winner. Until I realised there's no multi-session. Actually, it's still the best but I now need to keep one of the others because I often need multi-session.

I'll gladly make a donation of your suggested $2 for it, as is, but I'll make it $20 if you could bump multi-session up your priority list.

I would suggest others with the same need should encourage/reward the author too.

Many thanks.

Phill Rogers

• 3 weeks later...

Well I guess this is the choice of LUK and as a freeware it should remain so. Anyway I'm more at encouraging donation regardless of the features added or not. The program is already great and huge work has already been made for so long that it deserves it anyway. :thumbup:

Nevertheless while this is the only burning software I have installed, a multisession writing/building could be a welcomed addition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would personally really be happy if ImgBurn would allow writing a data image file onto a CD-R which allready has one audio session written onto it(done with another app; EAC), but where the disc is still left open, so as to be able to make perfect copies of audio CDs which includes a second data session with video clips and such i.e. CD-Extra CDs. Right now, ImgBurn says audio isn't supported, and because of that i unfortunetly need to keep having Nero v6.6.0.18 installed just for that single operation type, and i would just so much love to be able to ditch Nero completely :)

Thank you very much for your reply, LUK! :)

Personally, then i always write audio CDs with EAC, since it supports offset corrected writing and writes catalog numbers,ISRC codes and CD-TEXT data perfectly from cuesheets and WAV images(Burrrn can't write ISRC codes with my Plextor PX-755A, but that's cdrdao.exe's fault and not Gambit's...).

Nonetheless, then many thanks for all your efforts, LUK!, and i'm sure that many people will love this new addition of yours :)

CU, Martin.

Edit: Btw, then i believe that you are refering to mixed-mode CDs, since the cuesheet spec.(CDRWIN appendix A) dosen't support defining multiple sessions. Mixed-mode CDs consists of a data track first and then audio tracks afterwards and where everything is in one single session, whereas CD-Extra CDs(Blue Book) consists of one audio session first and then a data session afterwards with one mode2/XA data track with e.g. music-videos and such. "CD-DAs" released as CD-Extra's are becomming more and more popular and so that was the reason that i would so much love if ImgBurn would be able to write bin/cue data images onto "appendable" CD-Rs with one audio session allready written onto it, so that i didn't needed having Nero around whenever i needed to make an exact copy of a CD-Extra release :)

Edited by Martin H

• 2 weeks later...
Martin H,

No, I mean CD Extra. I extended the 'CUE' format (just how IsoBuster does) so it supports the 'SESSION' command. ImgBurn can read / write CD Extra discs to/from a bin & cue file.

Ahh yes, sorry about that LUK! I had completely forgot about IsoBuster's multiple-session hack of the cuesheet format and where initially just thinking about the spec-compliant cuesheet format.

Nice addition indeed :)(although i'm still sad about not being able to write data images onto appendable CD-Rs with ImgBurn, seeing as i can't give up using EAC for ripping audio CDs into lossless images, since EAC offers secure reading modes to make up for the low error-robustness of the red-book format(i.e. just CIRC and without a third layer of EDC/ECC))

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.