Multisession Disk

ol'lo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Love your work Lightning UK!. Love DVD Decrypter, love Imgburn. The ONLY thing I can suggest is to add multisession for build mode. I, for one, would definitely find it useful. I would imagine many others would also find it useful. Hope to see it in a future release! Keep up the good work mate, you are a legend.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I am unusual in the way I store things, but when I record a TV show, I convert it and place it onto a DVD+RW. One DVD+RW per show (although I gradually fill it up over the season). Once they fill up (which happens over a long period of time) I copy them onto a DVD-R. I then reuse the DVD+RW.

I was using DLA (which I love the principal but hate the bugginess) but have decided to get rid of it once and for all as I believe multi-session would kinda let me do what I want.

If I do not have multisession, I would be wasting so much space on each disk, and have way too many disks. I also do not have enough hard drive space to keep them all for long periods of time.

So while I respect the author's decision to not include it in his software, I do believe there are legitimate reasons for it.

so when your dvd+rw is full read to iso and burn to dvd-r

Maybe I am missing something here... but I do not have the option of incrementally adding to the DVD+RW with ImgBurn. I was using DLA, but due to the locking up and crashing it causes, that is what I want to ditch. Multisession will allow me to do this (although not quite as simply as drag and drop in Explorer) and when I have enough episodes I can then burn them to DVD-R, whether as an ISO from the DVD+RW or copy files back onto harddrive first.

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

I assumed when you said recording you had a device that hooked up to TV like a DVD recorder to record shows. you said when your RW were full you wanted to copy them to DVD-r (so sorry I misunderstood your post) still not sure I follow what your doing especially as you then say you convert them.

Why not convert them all then use build mode to burn data disc when you have enough to fill a -r

As long as whatever format your converting them to can then be played back on a device you have that is capable of playing whatever you converted them to.

I assumed when you said recording you had a device that hooked up to TV like a DVD recorder to record shows. you said when your RW were full you wanted to copy them to DVD-r (so sorry I misunderstood your post) still not sure I follow what your doing especially as you then say you convert them.

Why not convert them all then use build mode to burn data disc when you have enough to fill a -r

As long as whatever format your converting them to can then be played back on a device you have that is capable of playing whatever you converted them to.

I have a digital tuner hooked up to my pc. For every show that I like I have one DVD+RW disk that I store episodes on. After I have recorded an episode, I edit out the adds, convert the MPEG files to AVI, then store it on the DVD+RW disk. As the series is shown on tv over a long period of time, I have many partial filled DVD+RW disks of episodes. Once full I then copy them and burn them to DVD-R. Rinse and repeat for the next lot. The system is simple and works well, allows me to find what I want easily, doesn't waste disks and helps ease the burden on the hard drive.

My point is not to say the author of Imgburn MUST include multi session... it is his program and he is offering it for free, and I respect his wishes not to. I am however challenging the assumption that it doesn't have it's uses... as I think other people in this thread also have.

Anyway, I felt compelled to create an account and comment on this as when I searched google for imgburn and multisession DVD this thread appeared on the first page. I thought if enough people actually say that it is useful he may consider adding it (as otherwise it appears a great program.) In the mean time I have found CDBurnerXP which appears to support this and might try that out.

Thanks.

Edited by Toot29

It'll be added when build mode gets a revamp to make it more 'explorer' like.

Don't ask when that'll happen because I don't know yet. :D

Hah... good to hear :)

I shall check back every now and then.

Cheers

PS - and who says the squeaky gate doesn't get the oil :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry for warming the corpse...

Again about CD-Extra: I found in the Cue Sheet dialog that it is possible to add a new session. Also I found that *.ISO is a supported track type. Now, if I prepare the data part as ISO image, then create a cue sheet with audio tracks, and add a last data track ... with or without new session ... I'm going to test that later. If you already know it won't work, please tell me!

• 1 month later...
It only works if the ISO has been built for positioning at the exact LBA it'll end up being positioned at - i.e. all the fields in the file system must have the correct LBA offset.

So can this be done with ImgBurn? I can't find the option to specify LBA offset while building an image.

Is there other way to create EnhancedCD with ImgBurn?

On multisession disc: As far as I see, it is some kind of fanaticism for people... Not for me. I've an advice for multisession lovers.

As it is said even in the first posts, "it depends how you work" and some people just like to work with multisession rather than burning everything at once. Both have advantages and disadvantages... This is a free world, isn't it?

So, not implementing multisession for imgburn just makes it uncomplete, but is LUK's own choice, he simply doesn't like it. And yes, it is still a free world, nobody should ask him to implement something he doesn't like.

For multisession lovers, a simple and free option is romeo burner lite. I've installed both imgburn and romeo together and I switched to romeo when I need multisesion.

See you guys.

Edited by Johann Karl Friedrich Gau

• 2 months later...

I don't usually use multi-session disc but when I do, it's probably because I have no other choice. Like my latest experience, I need to copy something into/out of a corporate client's server that restrict access to the USB ports. I'm left with 1.Floppy drive, 2.CD-ROM. Since I'm carrying a laptop option 1 is out. And I just realized I do not have a blank CD with me, so I've to use my "Scratch Disc" (CD version of scratch pad) and ImgBurn refused to recognize it.

Luckily I still have Nero installed and that saved the day. At least that's what I thought until the server complaint about corrupted block0 of the CD. Damn. I end up requesting access via USB with all the paperwork and blah blah blah, but that's beside the point. There is a use for multi-session disc but since post #4 still apply, Nero still stays.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.