Holographic Discs....

lfcrule1972

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/80850/holograp...-next-year.html

Well I hadn't heard of these discs until I read this at lunch today.....

Holographic discs set for retail next year

The first holographic storage systems, storing up to 300GB on a single disc, will go on sale towards the end of 2006.

InPhase Technologies and Hitachi are jointly developing the technology, which uses laser light interference to store data in a light-sensitive crystal material.

The technique could be developed to store up to 1.6 Terabytes on each disc - more than 300 times the capacity of a conventional DVD - and offer read and write speeds of up to 120Mbits/sec.

'Unlike other technologies, that record one data bit at a time, holography allows a million bits of data to be written and read in parallel with a single flash of light,' Liz Murphy, of InPhase Technologies, told New Scientist. 'This enables transfer rates significantly higher than current optical storage devices.'

The high transfer speed enables the playback of broadcast-quality HDTV content, of which 26 hours can be stored on a single disc.

'We believe the capacity and data rates of holographic storage will be critical to achieving the breakthrough improvements in work flow and cost reduction that the broadcast industry is seeking,' said Nelson Diaz, InPhase's CEO.

Holographic storage works by splitting light from a single laser beam into two: the signal beam to carry the data and the reference beam. The hologram is formed where these two beams intersect causing a chemical reaction in the recording medium. By varying the reference beam angle, wavelength, or media position many different holograms can be recorded in the same volume of material.

the article was on Google news a few days ago in the science technology section ,I just started looking at it there's some good stuff there .I wonder what a disc will go for $50 ? and how much f'n and blinding you'll do when you burn a coaster :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

This has been in the pipeline for 10 years at least. It was always coming out, just a matter of when.

Thin CRT has been in the pipeline about as long, but they are far and few between, as is mobile phones with DAB radio.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.