DDP / CMF output format

xxxyzzzz

Hi again,

Will ImgBurn support more output formats in the future?

This program is so good that I like to use for mastering. Data Discs only though. Specifically, I am looking for a way to output to the DDP or CMF format for those mastering companies that won't accept a DVD+R DL.

Any future in this? If not, does anyone know of a freeware program that outputs to DDP/CMF?

I know of one called dvdtape that might have some promise, but it is a linux command utility that writes the data straight to a tape device. Piping it into a single file might not be what the mastering company will accept.

Z

DDP as said above (Disc Descriptor Protocol) is the format that the image is written to DLT tape to be sent for replication. CMF (Cutting Master Format) is a format written to DVD-R Authoring Media (Anybody remember the Pioneer S201 drives). This allowed for a DVD-R to be sent to the replicator instead of a tape. CMF allowed for region coding and possibly (not sure) CSS to be added to the master image. The disc would also still be playable in a set top player. CMF can not be written to DVD-R general discs, the ones that are common and affordable. Neither DDP or CMF are platform specific and are formats unto themselves.

It would be handy to be able to write a DDP image to a file or direct to DLT. It wouldn't be used much since most current DVD authoring products can write this image themselves. Only for data discs and older authoring packages that don't support plant direct images.

dvdtape is a very handy tool for converting ISOs directly to tape. I am not much of a coder though, and do not have the proper skills to rewrite parts of it and ouput to a DDP fileset instead of a single file.

If anyone want to take a look, I found one site that has the source (it is an old utility):

http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/512280/dvdtape.html

I do not understand why the mastering company cannot take a DVD+R DL.

Z

This mastering company will only accept DDP images broken by layer, apparently that is all thier machines can handle - that or tape. If I give them a dual layer disc, they said they will gladly reauthor it and export it to DDP for $400 a layer. I hung up and laughed.

Z

The mastering company is probably using Eclipse software to verify and create the glass master. Unfortunately, a ddp image is about the only thing you can give eclipse. Wheather it comes from tape, or a file set, it is all just ddp.

Many replication plants will take DVD-+R media for masters. They will often inform you that you can't use RCE or CSS since recordable media doesn't allow for it. Many small replicators will take almost anything for a master. They are always trying to gain new clients and are very flexible. You should call around and see if you can get a better deal at another facility.

If you really need to create and send a ddp, you can try Gear Pro Mastering Edition. Maybe a trial version or something is available. I know there is a create ddp function. Also DVD Studio Pro on the Mac has a ddp file output option, but I'm not sure if you need to create the project in DVDSP for this to work. Sonic has "Sonic Rom Formatter" but it is expesive so unless you know someone with a copy, it's probably out of reach.

NC

• 1 year later...

Oh this would be sooooo usefull for me too.

Audio CDs can only be delivered either as an actual CD - which is silly because they only rip it again - OR a DDP image to be fed to the above mentioned Eclipse glass master software.

A DDP image can be sent via FTP and as they wont use CUE its all there is left.

Imgburn should be able to do this magic.

If you only do a couple of productions a year its not worth spending hundreds to get this format.

The DDP license is freely available here.

http://www.dcainc.com/products/ddplicense/index.html

A dream come true would be conversion from CUE to DDP and back again all within imgburn

Anyway, thanks LUK for all your brilliant work over the years - I'm very impressed.

Maybe you could look it over and let us know how complicated / easy it would be.....

Cheers,

maa

Not a lot.

As I said, hundreds is not what I have in mind - more to show that the DDP license is in essence free and that the format itself is an industry IMAGE standard that can't be ignored - much as I prefer Cue/WAV myself.

Hope LUK understands.....

Cheers

maa

Oh this would be sooooo usefull for me too.

Audio CDs can only be delivered either as an actual CD - which is silly because they only rip it again - OR a DDP image to be fed to the above mentioned Eclipse glass master software.

A DDP image can be sent via FTP and as they wont use CUE its all there is left.

Imgburn should be able to do this magic.

If you only do a couple of productions a year its not worth spending hundreds to get this format.

The DDP license is freely available here.

http://www.dcainc.com/products/ddplicense/index.html

A dream come true would be conversion from CUE to DDP and back again all within imgburn

Anyway, thanks LUK for all your brilliant work over the years - I'm very impressed.

Maybe you could look it over and let us know how complicated / easy it would be.....

Cheers,

maa

Hi LUK - did you look at the format details - I'm sure there can't be any magic in there, just a normal iso with a header of some kind maybe?

Cheers

maa

P.S. This thread is getting a LOT of reads!

12?

and you're a Beta Tester ?

Shame on you.

I was rather hoping this would be taken seriously.

I maybe new here but not on Doom9 - many posters here will know me from there so come on guys - this is no joke thread and if you're too dum to read a thread statistic go and spam someone elses thread.

Thank you,

maa

Edited by maa

I think spinner was referring to 12 replies at the time he posted...the thread obviously has 1200+ views. But still coming from the author himself....

I doubt it, there's very little call for such things. Not only that, I've no idea what they are

I don't think it's gonna happen. This thread is a year old and maybe he's changed his mind in the last year but seeing as though he hasn't chimed in again after you dredged it up still seems highly unlikely the support will be implemented.

As the laughter dies down and the jokers collect their prize I recall a line from Rush - 'scoffing at the wise'

Shame when forum members are allowed to behave like this, they not only show themselves up but bring down the quality and value of the forum. I doubt LUK condones these pathetic stabs even if he doesn't want to answer the topic.

Although its a year old this topic is certainly not out of date - DDP image via FTP transfere is more and more normal with the high speed conections everyone has these days.

@LUK

I've given you a link above right to the source so you can see for yourself and fill in the gap in your knowledge that you pointed out in post #2

Cheers

maa

• 1 year later...

Wish adding .cmf support would interest people. Imgburn is starting to be used by more professional users. I've seen the netblender guys using it in their demo suite to burn a one-off disc for instance. (Netblender makes dostudio blu-ray authoring software.)

Would be very useful to have a .cmf burning software or a utility to convert from (or to) .cmf.

If you are writing imgburn, please add .cmf support.

Sorry maa, it really doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Ok LUK - thanks for looking.

Cheers

maa

• 3 years later...

3 years later:

I would pay for a DDP/CMF plugin too. Lets make it a plugin that can be activated by a donation.

Users will see the greyed-out plugin and maybe the one or another will buy it anyways.

The ImgBurn userbase is huge, I suppose...

The structure I see in a DVD-9 DDP (Folders LAYER_0 and LAYER_1)

built in Sony DVD-Architect Pro 5.2 seems to be quite simple:

CONTROL.DAT (32KB) starting with 01 02 31 10 00 03 00 00 00 F2 80 7F 00 18 D0 BF,

the rest to address 0x7fffh filled with zeroes. This content is the same for Folders LAYER_0 and LAYER_1

DDPID ( the only content is one line, containing the version number of DDP,

followed by descriptors, less than 1KB)

For LAYER_0:

DDP 2.10 DV2020OB00V0000 VVVMD2 0000001600193024 DV00 017CONTROL.DAT VVVMD0 0142969600196608 DV00 017IMAGE.DAT

For LAYER_1

DDP 2.10 DV2021OB00V0000 VVVMD2 0000001600193024 DV00 017CONTROL.DAT VVVMD0 0074169601626303 DV00 017IMAGE.DAT

and the respective

IMAGE.DAT, containing the image for that layer.

Size and content of this image does differ from that built by ImageBurn, though.

Edited by Emulgator

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.