DVD+R DL Playback Issues

Baphomet

Newbie, here, so I'll take any flames about how stupid I am without flinching as long as someone can please maybe help me out, too. Thanks in advance.

I converted a video file on my PC to ISO (I hope I'm using the right terminology) and then used ImgBurn to burn a copy to a Memorex DVD+R DL. The DVD plays back fine on my PC, but when I stick it in the PlayStation2 to watch it, I get a screen I've never seen before on the PS2 saying to insert a PS2 or PS1 compatible disc.

Granted, the PlayStation2 is not the greatest DVD-player in the world, but it's all I've got. I've tried burning copies both with no region selected and for region 1 (I'm Canadian), and it doesn't work either way. Should I be doing something specific with ImgBurn's settings, or do I just need a dedicated DVD player, or what?

Any ideas greatly appreciated...

Edited by Baphomet

Try setting the booktype of the blank +RDL to DVD-ROM before burning.

I assume you mean to change it in Tools-Drive-Change Book Type within ImgBurn itself? I have now tried that, and unfortunately I am left with another PC-only DVD. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

If there are any more ideas, I'd love to hear them...

Welcome fellow Canuck! Got a little bad news for you, Memorex DL's are very very poor, and PS2's are some of the pickier players out there. Your best bet would definately be to get different blank media, as trying to get those Mem's to work will only result in frustration.

Welcome fellow Canuck! Got a little bad news for you, Memorex DL's are very very poor, and PS2's are some of the pickier players out there. Your best bet would definately be to get different blank media, as trying to get those Mem's to work will only result in frustration.

Sigh. $30 for the DVD's down the drain, I guess (at least it's only Canadian dollars!). Any specific suggestions on what media I should pick up (and should I still set the Book Type to DVD-ROM)?

Thank you so much.

Are you in East or Western Canada? Have you burned a lot of DVD's? If you haven't done a lot, I would recommend burning DVD5's(SL discs) first, as they are considerably cheaper. As far as brands go, IMO Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim for DVD5's, and Verbatim or Ricohjpn(Fuji etc) made discs for DL's. If you have some Mem's left(& unopened), try returning them.

*edit* When using +r or +r dl media, setting the booktype to dvd-rom will help the compatability.

Edited by Grain

Are you in East or Western Canada? Have you burned a lot of DVD's? If you haven't done a lot, I would recommend burning DVD5's(SL discs) first, as they are considerably cheaper. As far as brands go, IMO Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim for DVD5's, and Verbatim or Ricohjpn(Fuji etc) made discs for DL's. If you have some Mem's left(& unopened), try returning them.

*edit* When using +r or +r dl media, setting the booktype to dvd-rom will help the compatability.

I live in Edmonton, so Western Canada.

This is my first attempt at burning a DVD. A day or two ago I did actually successfully burn a copy of the same file onto a Memorex DVD+R using a demo version of a different program, but the play-time was too long to fit (it cut off about the last 10 minutes or so). That program doesn't do Double-Layer DVD's, apparently, so I'm giving ImgBurn a go. The DVD+R played in my PS2 fine. The DVD+R DL's, not at all. I'll try picking up a different brand: thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, does it matter that when I play back the DL's in Windows Media Player it recognizes the media as DATA and not, say, VIDEO or something? (I'm a complete noob, I know).

Here's a link to a good store (it is in Calgary, haven't been in Edmonton's), they carry Taiyo Yudens at a decent price, Memory Express. They also carry poor media, but if you stick to Taiyo or Verbatim you'll be off to a great start.

How Windows shows your disc as data/video shouldn't affect it's playability.

I live in Edmonton, so Western Canada.

This is my first attempt at burning a DVD. A day or two ago I did actually successfully burn a copy of the same file onto a Memorex DVD+R using a demo version of a different program, but the play-time was too long to fit (it cut off about the last 10 minutes or so). That program doesn't do Double-Layer DVD's, apparently, so I'm giving ImgBurn a go. The DVD+R played in my PS2 fine. The DVD+R DL's, not at all. I'll try picking up a different brand: thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, does it matter that when I play back the DL's in Windows Media Player it recognizes the media as DATA and not, say, VIDEO or something? (I'm a complete noob, I know).

windows player leaves a lot to be desired also as far as dvd playback goes .I use power dv5 myself and version 4 before that without any issues .There's Media Player Classic thats free and works well

www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/ video

www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

for DL's use Verbatim they're tried and true ,havent see any posts where anyone had issues with burning to them for other media not DL's Taiyo Yuden and also Verbatim are excellent

if you want to watch ISO's on your computer you dont have to burn them to disc download Daemon tools and you'll be able to view the stuff on the hard drive

www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/ Utilities/Video-Editors-Utilities/daemon_tools.html

Edited by polopony

I'm off to grab some Verbatim today!

I can watch the file already on my hard drive in Media Player without needing a burned disc, but when the burned disc didn't work in my PS2 I thought I'd see if it worked in my PC's DVD drive just to see if the burning process had even worked at all.

Thank you all for all of your help. And no flames! :thumbup:

Sigh. $30 for the DVD's down the drain, I guess (at least it's only Canadian dollars!). Any specific suggestions on what media I should pick up (and should I still set the Book Type to DVD-ROM)?

Thank you so much.

While I would easily recommend any Verbatim blank media over Memorex, I've had a fair amount of success with Memorex DL discs using Nero 6 on my NEC N-3520A burner. So don't throw away those expensive Memorex DL discs just yet. Try Nero or another burning software and see what your results are. Also, make sure your DVD drive's firmware is up to date. If you need help with this don't hesitate to ask. This may be my first post here in this forum, but like many others here I've been doing this stuff for a while.

I've attached a file showing a successful backup copy of the movie "Downfall" on a Memorex DL disc.

BTW, I'm 10 miles from the NB border here in Maine. Some of my best friends are Canadiens. :)

post-1581-1133546810_thumb.jpg

PI in the 900's and you call that successful?!

=))

I call successful what plays on a typical home DVD player, and so far I've played this disc on three different home players with absolutely no problems.

PI Errors are only one facet of quality. Look at the overall quality score of this Verbatim DL disc--it scores only 3 points higher than the Memorex. These discs were burned at the same speed on the same burner (3520A) with the same firmware. I'm not knocking Verbatim (let's not get religious about this like some people do about Linux vs. Windows), but telling someone to throw out a set of $30 DL discs when in fact they can be utilized is very poor advice imho.

post-1581-1133595705_thumb.jpg

wil verbatim's my scores are easily 91-92 ALL the time.

Mermorex DL is aweful UNLESS you have a drive like the Benq 1640 that has Solidburn, which learns the characterstics of the media and stores it as firmware.

Then you must have received an exceptional batch, because my typical scores range from 75-90, and I've purchased two 10-pack cake boxes (from Newegg).

to be honest I have used "tons" of verbatim for myself and family....always good. I suspect it is your drive. NEC it not in the same league as LG or Benq. I have seen enough people complaining about write quality that is for sure.

Here is my advice:

Drives: LG or Benq..nothing else. I have LG 4163b, Benq 1620, Benq 1640

Media: Verbatim, Maxell, or Taiyo Yuden

I have been burning way back since LG 4040b....believe it or not I have NEVER burned a coaster or had a "bad burn" via checking CD/DVD Speed. I think (maybe wrong here) my lowest score was 85 or something like that. With success wuch as this I am likely never to change what I do. Just awesome.

Edited by ron spencer

=))

but telling someone to throw out a set of $30 DL discs when in fact they can be utilized is very poor advice imho.

at this point i just thought id mention that LIGHTNING_UK is the author of this program ;) somehow i have a feeling he knows what he's on about :thumbup:

from testing ourselves, and feedback in here ,only verbatim have been consistent as reliable DL media so far ( same overall opinion in a previous forum we all frequented that had over 2 hundred k members ) , Nothing else was capable of giving decent burns time after time like the verbs . if the maxell work for you, then great :thumbup: but in general they have proven to be pretty low down in the quality levels for dual layer discs

didn't mean maxell for dual layer...I only use maxell for single layer...same for TY.

but fact is you can look over tons for forums...cdrlabs. cdfreaks, cdrinfo, etc. you see nothing but praise for LG and Benq and for the media mentioned...everything else has had complaints/issues with it. And my results really prove it (at least in my eyes); never a coaster, dual or single layer. perfect, i just do not like wasting $

Edited by ron spencer

but fact is you can look over tons for forums...cdrlabs. cdfreaks, cdrinfo, etc. you see nothing but praise for LG and Benq and for the media mentioned...everything else has had complaints/issues with it.

I afraid I'm going to have to call SHENANIGANS! All three sites you mention have as many problem threads for your favorite burners as they do praise. I have nothing against either LG or BenQ, but don't portray them as being perfect, they like ALL other burners have their pro's and con's, not the least of which is the rest of the computer it's in. On another note, Maxell has had it's share of problems recently, not the least of which is using CMC as one of it's manufactors.

let me simplify this

its all about the individuals "Combination" as to whats good and whats bad with dvd's

everybodys set up is differant .

the combination consists of "Your" writer , "Your" standalone player and "Your" media.

what works for some , doesnt always work for others . this is why the log for ImgBurn is so detailed, it helps us to help you figure out the problem when your disc doesnt work in your player

there is no such thing as the "Best" burner , wether its an NEC, LG, BENQ or whatever. they are all much of a muchness . burners are divided up onto brand names and non brand names , thats all .

a Plextor is possibly the only exception , but again, you will usually pay more for the pleasure of owning one .

there is no such thing as the "Best " standalone player either . as long as it can play both -R and +R then it is doing its job, obviously if its RAM capable as well and you have a dvd recorder that can use RAM discs, then thats a bonus , likewise if its a divx/mp3 player , thats better as well

there is no such thing as the "Best" media . there IS good and bad out there , from cheap and cheerfull to the mutz nutz stuff . Taiyo Yuden does appear to be the exception here though , mainly because its more compatable with differant burners and differant players than any other media. HOWEVER , that doesnt garranty it will work for you on your "Combination" or "set up", again verbatim is high up in the list, but that wont play on any of 3 panasonic players :angry:

then your into the communication between manufacturers. a better drive is one that has more firmware updates than others, as this will allow you to use the latest media that becomes available , and if you can flash the firmware on your player, likewise, this will let it handle the latest media as and when it becomes available

regarding media , as mentioned , taiyo Yuden is the most compatable dv5/single layer amongst differant players and burners, and is usually a safe bet , but members have bought the cheapest crap available, and they swear by it :o ( thats doesnt mean the dye on it wont fade within 6 months though :lol: )

again on media, Verbatim is consistenly mentioned both here and in a previous forum as being the most stable Dual Layer media . this being reported from peoples experiences with DL stuff ( right from the days when it was ?7/8 a disc !!) . ridisc/ritek/ridata being named several times as being very poor regarding burn failures

we can only say what has been mentioned by people testing differant things and combinations over the time as to whats good or bad which is good or bad , but as i said earlier, what doesnt work for some works for others. so you can only use peoples opinions as a guide

=))

but telling someone to throw out a set of $30 DL discs when in fact they can be utilized is very poor advice imho.

at this point i just thought id mention that LIGHTNING_UK is the author of this program ;) somehow i have a feeling he knows what he's on about :thumbup:

from testing ourselves, and feedback in here ,only verbatim have been consistent as reliable DL media so far ( same overall opinion in a previous forum we all frequented that had over 2 hundred k members ) , Nothing else was capable of giving decent burns time after time like the verbs . if the maxell work for you, then great :thumbup: but in general they have proven to be pretty low down in the quality levels for dual layer discs

You totally missed my point. I would never tell anyone to just throw out a set of $30 DL discs until at least trying to utilize them. Maybe $30 isn't much to you or Lightning, but it is to me and others like the original poster. While I respect Lightning's opinion that doesn't mean you can't make usable backups with Memorex DL media. Don't get me wrong--I will probably never purchase Memorex DL media again because they are not as good as the Verbatims, but that doesn't mean I will throw out an entire spool of them. Bluntly telling someone else to throw them out is something I will never do. It's easy to spend someone else's money when actually all they have to do is experiment some more with other software and/or firmware.

=))

You totally missed my point. I would never tell anyone to just throw out a set of $30 DL discs until at least trying to utilize them. Maybe $30 isn't much to you or Lightning, but it is to me and others like the original poster, Baphomet. While I respect Lightning's opinion that doesn't mean you can't make usable backups with Memorex DL media. Don't get me wrong--I will probably never purchase Memorex DL media again because they are not as good as the Verbatims, but that doesn't mean I will throw out an entire spool of them. Bluntly telling someone else to throw them out is something I will never do. It's easy to spend someone else's money when actually all they have to do is experiment some more with other software and/or firmware.

Edited by AqLumen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.