DVD+R DL Playback Issues

Baphomet

but fact is you can look over tons for forums...cdrlabs. cdfreaks, cdrinfo, etc. you see nothing but praise for LG and Benq and for the media mentioned...everything else has had complaints/issues with it.

I afraid I'm going to have to call SHENANIGANS! All three sites you mention have as many problem threads for your favorite burners as they do praise. I have nothing against either LG or BenQ, but don't portray them as being perfect, they like ALL other burners have their pro's and con's, not the least of which is the rest of the computer it's in. On another note, Maxell has had it's share of problems recently, not the least of which is using CMC as one of it's manufactors.

I totally agree with you here, Grain. Liggy & Dee continue to develop firmware upgrades for NEC model burners. If they thought NEC was junk I really don't think they would waste their time in such an endeavor.

When someone appears to claim to be the final authority on a subject so wide open as optical drives & media, it gives me pause and makes me wonder as to their objectivity and credibility. As the saying goes, "There's wisdom among a multitude of counselors."

cheap media is cheap media and I dont necessarily mean the price, as a former member of that now defunct forum I can tell you that many,many problems were media related and CMC MAG's name came up more than I can count as the culprit .Its not really IF you can burn to unreliable media, you can find some DVDRW that will do the job but its being able to play/read the discs in the future thats important and not to just single out CMC there were many "brands " that were just pure crap. For the time and effort I want to be able to view stuff I did years a go and so far so good .I used Ritek Ridata 4X GO4 then the 8x G5 and had good success a few dodgy G5's then Taiyo Yudens and Verbs with my Nec 3500.I can still play the Ritek G4's fine although its debatable if Ritek quality has suffered their DL's get some forum time as unreliable and now I use the verbs and yudens only with 100% success .When I first started I used Princo's and I did wind up throwing quite a few away it was cutting my losses and biting the bullet .The switch to Ritek was a suggestion from Lightning and I dont see him passing out bad info where media drives and fixes are concerned :thumbup:

cheap media is fine IF you have a Benq 1640 with Solidburn....which learns the media and ADDs it to firmware on the fly....and no those forums do not hash LG or Benq...read them.

As I said...never a coaster for me....which is the best you can get. What else can I say? I waste neither my time nor $ on media or burners...never have and with a little research never will. To me burning single or dual layer is kid-simple. Luck, think not, been doing this for over 3 years now.

Do what you want..just giving my experience; but I will let you know when I burn a coaster or something that does not work in a bunch of players.

To be honest I was really anal when I started DL burning (and single for that matter). Read everything I could and tested my burns on over 30 diff machines....just walk into the store and test them, sales people don't care. That is what you need to do instead of waiting for sales.

Now this is not scientific, but most of these problems (I would say 9/10) are not due to Nero or a burning app, but rather with a person picking cheap media that is on sale or a burner on sale without reading more that 1 review.

It is really that simple.

Edited by ron spencer

You totally missed my point.

and you didnt read my post very well and missed a few points ;) ( in bold below)

let me simplify this

its all about the individuals "Combination" as to whats good and whats bad with dvd's

everybodys set up is differant .

the combination consists of "Your" writer , "Your" standalone player and "Your" media.

what works for some , doesnt always work for others .

edit..........................

that doesnt garranty it will work for you on your "Combination" or "set up",

edit............................

what doesnt work for some works for others. so you can only use peoples opinions as a guide

anyway , who actually said to throw the memorex away ??

but fact is you can look over tons for forums...cdrlabs. cdfreaks, cdrinfo, etc. you see nothing but praise for LG and Benq and for the media mentioned...everything else has had complaints/issues with it.

As the forums you mentioned above have numerous threads with people having trouble with both hardware brands you mention, to say "nothing but praise" is incorrect, and as a result puts everything else you've said into doubt, including BenQ's w/ SolidBurn ability to make a cheap shitty dye last.

who said anything about making dye last? I never use the crummy stuff except for fun; but I get it to work anyway. But hey the stuff I have from 4 yrs ago still scores 91-93...so what do I know...other than just not wasting time or $ on media or burners that don't work...go figure eh? I buy my coasters at a home furnishings store.

All kidding aside, with all the info on various forums that is available there really is no excuse anymore (other than a gross manufacturing defect) to have a crummy burn...just no excuse.

Edited by ron spencer

All kidding aside, with all the info on various forums that is available there really is no excuse anymore (other than a gross manufacturing defect) to have a crummy burn...just no excuse.

your right , there is so much info available now that no one should be getting bad burns anymore. its not as if we are in the infancy of burning dvds anymore.

of coarse ,every now and then someone will have a problem due to faulty media or a faulty burner, but that can soon be figured out and rectyfied from the log file in ImgBurn and/or a question or two in here :thumbup:

this is a but OT, but does anyone know why TY does not make a regular "silk screened" top on their DVDs so finger prints don't go on them?

Ron I think the only one that could answer that is Taiyo Yuden maybe an E mail to them will get an answer

Wow, my li'l thread kind of exploded, here.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. I had updated my burner's firmware after the first failure to burn a copy that would play on my PS2 (stumbled across a forum somewhere or other that suggested that). I have a TSSTcorp (Toshiba-Samsung) TS-H552B drive, BTW (this is probably crap, because it's just what came with my system when I bought it, but again it seems to have no problems with single-layer DVDs).

I'm just getting around to trying to burn on some Verbatims tonight. I'll post later with the result...

Well, still no-go. The Verbatim copy plays in my PC's drive no problem, but my PS2 still doesn't recognize it. My girlfriend suggests it may somehow be that DVD+R DL discs weren't really around when the PS2 was launched, so it just can't handle the format. I don't know if that makes any sense to me, but I give up, anyway. Maybe I'll get a dedicated DVD player someday and try watching one of these many copies I've made on that instead...

they feel smooth and not at all like paper they have good ink absorption and the discs I did with an Epson 960 Photosmart came out looking really nice but you dont get a real glossy finish like an original more like matte still it looks pro

You can centre your dvd's better than I can with my R200, I can't do a complete cover edge to edge without major bleeding due to printing on plastic. May have to get a newer plastic slide, apparently the new models have an improved tray.

Well, still no-go. The Verbatim copy plays in my PC's drive no problem, but my PS2 still doesn't recognize it. My girlfriend suggests it may somehow be that DVD+R DL discs weren't really around when the PS2 was launched, so it just can't handle the format. I don't know if that makes any sense to me, but I give up, anyway. Maybe I'll get a dedicated DVD player someday and try watching one of these many copies I've made on that instead...

Most PS2 discs have some sort of copy protection and the only way to make a working backup copy is to use software like Alcohol 120% or CloneCD. I've found the following sites helpful:

http://www.makeabackup.com/modules.php?nam...ctions_Database

http://www.gameburnworld.com/

Edited by AqLumen

You totally missed my point.

and you didnt read my post very well and missed a few points ;) ( in bold below)

let me simplify this

its all about the individuals "Combination" as to whats good and whats bad with dvd's

everybodys set up is differant .

the combination consists of "Your" writer , "Your" standalone player and "Your" media.

what works for some , doesnt always work for others .

edit..........................

that doesnt garranty it will work for you on your "Combination" or "set up",

edit............................

what doesnt work for some works for others. so you can only use peoples opinions as a guide

anyway , who actually said to throw the memorex away ??

My post wasn't directed at you. I had to get up early (like I am now) to get some things done but totally screwed the pooch when I posted. :yawn:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.