BSOD caused by a device driver - HELP LUK :)

KSN

LUK or any1 else who can help. Quite sometime ago I posted a question in regards to my PC shutting down by itself while running DVD Shrink. LUK, you asked me to send you a minidump file with which you were able to tell me which device was causing the problem. It turned out that I had a bad stick of RAM. I'm having those same issues again. Can someone help? Thanks!

things like that are usually driver related if you installed any new programs or hardware backtrack by removing whatever was installed or maybe do a system restore to a point where everything was working OK

It's sometimes worth running a full virus scan with updated definitions, also run Spybot and Adaware (both free to d/l I think) and let them check for anything nasty too.

That said I think polo has probably nailed it and you may want to look at recent program installations and see if they are to blame.

Shaun!

Post up the minidump again and I'll examine it.

LUK, how do I find the minidump again? Sorry I don't remember how. Let me know and I will post it for you. Once again, thanks for your help :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help. I've taken care of the problem. It seems that the culprit was the memory stick, just like last time. A week ago I purchased a 1GB memory stick from Kingston. I installed the new 1GB stick and uninstalled the Ultra 512MB stick and all my problems went away. No more shutdowns while DVDS runs.

Taking Cynthia's advice from the DVDS forum, I ran memtest-86. It ran for over 50 hours. I had no idea that a test could run that long .... LOL. I shut it down and just got rid of the Ultra stick. I couldn't wait any longer.

I emailed Ultra and they're sending me a replacement memory stick. That's two out of two Ultra 512MB sticks gone bad within a year.

Well, thanks for all the help you guys. Have a good one :)

KSN

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.