Hi all

I'm new to Dual burning, as i had a lot of problems with my Verbatim DVD-R DL

my drive external (iee1394)

Drive TSST Comp CD/DVDW SH-S162L

Firmware TS01

serial no. SH-S162L

Type DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL

Nero Burning Rom v 7.5.9.0

My problem is that when i put a home wedding movie (videoTS, audioTS)(4hrs)or data onto these DVDs .. the movie works perfectly in the burnt drive, but on a home dvd player, on one it does'nt read the disc at all (alba dvd player) and on the other (toshiba dvd player) it gets about 30 mins into play and its starts skipping

Also

If i create a Data DVD -Dl... again in works and reads the files ONLY on the external drive it was burnt with, not on any other drive :-(

Someone suggests using Verb +R as this does bitsetting (dvd-rom) compatabilty... I have now brought 10 VERBATIM +R DL.

Do i use bitsetting just for Movies (dvd-rom) for compaibility with home dvd players

What about a Data DVD... do i use bitsetting for that, so that it will play on a laptop/PC dvd drive... I'm be putting pictures movies

I have also purchased 10 philips DVD+R DL, as i don't want to make the mistake, as i already lost 5 DVD-R DL before

Will bitsetting work, i'd rather sell my 10 DVD+R DL, and stick to single layer if all i get is 10 coasters

Can i use Nero... as i read the guides for ImgBurn.. its all looks a bit daunting

hope ppl can help

Edited by zack33

DVD-R DL's are terrible discs for movies as you cannot set the layer break on them and therefore it's no surprise your standalone players cannot play them back.

For Dual Layers you should only buy Verbatim DVD+R DL's as these are the only reliable option. If your drive supports it I would recommend bitsetting to DVD-ROM for movies as this should allow older DVD players to play them back.

The guides are not bad if you follow them step by step, if you want to use Nero then you are in the wrong forum ! Try Nero Support for assistance with that program.........

Hi

Thanks for the quick prompt

should i use bitsetting for data dvds (pics, doc, files) you know a normal data dvd, as the DL -R only work on the drive that it was burnt on.

I want to use imgburn

Do i need to turn the 7 gigabyte folder into a ISO even though its not a movie (but files) and then use Imgburn to burn it

thanks

ps

Any good step-by steps is using ImBurn.... I'd rather use Imgburn ifs its better at writing Dual Layer +R than Nero

If you're using 2.2.0.0 and haven't already disabled it, your +R DL media will automatically have the booktype changed to DVDROM. There's no reason NOT to do it, so you might as well just do it all the time.

No you don't need to make an ISO first, just use Build mode. Add your folders / file and set 'Output' to 'Device'.

It's all detailed in the Guides section, just ignore any step that's specific to DVD Video. (i.e. layer break selection screens etc) The basic principals are the same.

sorry me again LOL, just one more question

my drive has the firmware of TS01... should i update before burning DL

Drive TSST Comp CD/DVDW SH-S162L

Firmware TS01

serial no. SH-S162L

Type DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL

I was'nt able to find a TS06 update, only TS04, does it offer anything better then TS01

Also how would you do a firmware update when the drive is external (IEE1394)

Can i also try a tester DVD+R DL (instead of coasting a expensive Verb)

PHILIPS DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER is this brand ok to use for data (not video), and i don't need a layer break for data right.. just video

what a carry on ... Roll on HD DVD-R i say LOL

Edited by zack33

You can get TS07 (and all the other versions) from http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2229

You need the firmware file and also the flasher.

The flasher should still find the drive even though it's external.

Don't use anything other than Verbatim +R DL's. It doesn't matter what you're putting on it, the other are just useless in comparison.

is the firmware update done it DOS or XP

i just click the flasher then the TS07.. can i skip installing the rest of them (ie 2,3,4 etc)

gonna have to take out a morgage if its Verb DVD+R DL all the time LOL

thanks

I don't have one of your drives but normally you open the flasher, select the firmware and then select your drive if it doesn't find it for you ! You don't normally need to do the previous fw updates either, just install the last one.

Sorted TS07.

I got a error saying restart windows as it failed, but i could see the bar in the background going up, so afterwards i restarted and Glory be, it said TS07 LOL

anyway a new problemo senor's

I had burnt a 4hr family holiday onto a Verb -R DL, now when i was creating it back into a ISO in ImgBurn, it said that it could not find a layer break and that i should cry, well its not that bad that i should cry LOL,

but

Should i burn this ISO onto a new Verb +R DL, or will i get the same problems as before, not working in a home DVD player

thanks

Do i have to create a layer break manually, or could i just burn straight to DVD+R DL, also, do you you get a pause for a few seconds when u create a manual layer break when watching a movie on the dvd home player. is it hard to create a layer break as it sounds technical lol

I 18:16:58 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 18:16:58 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)

I 18:16:58 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:16:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:16:58 Found 1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD-RW and 1 DVD?RW/RAM!

I 18:20:17 Operation Started!

I 18:20:17 Building Image Tree...

I 18:20:33 Checking Directory Depth...

I 18:20:33 Calculating Totals...

I 18:20:33 Preparing Image...

W 18:20:47 Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!

I 18:20:47 Checking Path Length...

I 18:20:47 Image Size: 7,727,022,080 bytes

I 18:20:47 Image Sectors: 3,772,960

I 18:20:57 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:39

I 18:20:57 Operation Started!

I 18:20:57 Image Contents: 12 Files, 2 Folders

I 18:20:57 Image Sectors: 3,772,960

I 18:20:57 Image Size: 7,727,022,080 bytes

I 18:20:57 Image Layer Break Position: 1,886,480

I 18:20:57 Image Single Layer Profile: DVD-R/RW (Media Capacity: 2,298,496)

I 18:20:57 Image Double Layer Profile: DVD+R DL (Min L0: 0, Max L0: 2,086,912, Media Capacity: 4,173,824)

I 18:20:57 Image Volume Identifier: New

I 18:20:57 Image Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.1.0.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!

I 18:20:57 Image Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 18:20:57 Image File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 18:20:57 Destination File: C:\Documents and Settings\zack\Desktop\New Folder\x.iso

I 18:20:57 Destination Free Space: 15,869,730,816 bytes (15,497,784 KB) (15,134 MB) (14 GB)

I 18:20:57 Destination File System: NTFS

I 18:20:57 File Splitting: Auto

I 18:20:57 Writing Image...

I 18:40:48 Image MD5: 96cfba1d0e949488717bdebb2fc4f54e

I 18:40:48 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:19:51

I 18:40:48 Average Write Rate: 6,335 KB/s (4.6x) - Maximum Write Rate: 8,781 KB/s (6.3x)

zack

Edited by zack33

You should insert some cells/chapters (split existing ones) around the midway point so it can find a decent spot for a layerbreak. You can use VobBlanker for that.

Update ImgBurn too.

I don't know if there is anything to take out, as its just a family holiday. what would i take out is it a footage somewhere for about a couple of seconds i remove. i'm not familier with that program let alone Imgburn, what would happen if i just burn the ISO to a DVD+R DL the way it is now on my HD, would it work in my home dvd player, as thats getting really complicated.

I'm just tempted to wait about 6 months at splash out on a HD DVD burner for my PC and a HD DVD Player, as DVD+R DL burning requires a Phd in I.T. LOL

Edited by zack33

You don't need to remove anything and it won't change the actual video.

You're just inserting a marker in one of the IFO files.

It's these markers that have to be aligned correctly at the layer break position.

You could try burning the disc as it is but some players are picky and it'll just stop dead at the layer change position and you'll never get to see the 2nd half.

As with most software tools, if you search on Google, you're bound to find a guide on how to split/insert some cells. You can bet your life you're not the first person to have asked questions about doing it, so just search and see what it finds!

Hi all

I tryed all day yesterday to look for guides about inserting cells and chapters to no avail. I'm also stuck on what i'm suppose to use build, verify, as they all out put to ISO

I tryed Vobblanker today, but is does'nt read the ISO which i made with imgburn on my hard-drive

my setup

1.JPG

So what i have done is copy the Family holiday from my Verb DVD-R DL to my HD

2.JPG

and fired up Vobblanker

but this is where i'm stuck.. i don't know what i'm suppose to cell.

3.JPG

4.JPG

I just want to put the family movie onto 1 DVD+R DL, so that i can watch it. i'd rather have it on one than 2 dvds.

I'm kinda a lil simple when it comes to computers LOL, as i was born wayyyy back in 1974 when everything ran on steam, most ppl worked on farms, and food was delivered by horse and cart, and computers were stuff of Science Fiction LOL

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=307209

The above might help, it even refers to a guide by blutach from this forum !! :) The searches I did mentioned a number of times problems with iso's where they will be almost the full capacity of the DL discs. Therefore in future you may want to just allow a little space at the end of the disc. :)

A couple of things.... Use ALT+PrtScr to take screen snapshots and then Ctrl+V to paste into Microsoft Paint or something and save the image. They look better and are easier to read. :)

Also, it seems like you're doing alot of work just to create a DVD when simpler options are available. ConvertXToDVD (or the freebie version, VSO DivxToDVD) will happily convert this huge file into DVD format for burning onto a single disk. There's no chapter selection available for the user but by default, VSO DivxToDVD inserts chapters at 5 minute intervals automagically. The resultant files can then be loaded into ImgBurn. Try this for starters and see if it does what you want it to do.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...xtodvd_free.cfm

I'm kinda a lil simple when it comes to computers LOL, as i was born wayyyy back in 1974 when everything ran on steam, most ppl worked on farms, and food was delivered by horse and cart, and computers were stuff of Science Fiction LOL

1974? LOL!! That makes you almost the youngest person here. :P

hi thanks for the info ppl

I tryed installing Pcgedit, and following this guide, BUT

http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/dl_..._pgcedit_v2.htm

it won't let me burn a iso, of my DVD-R DL (to a DVD+R DL) i dont even get a ONE TIME SETUP option

** Note my holiday DVD has no menu's or chapters. It starts striaght away, and finishes 3 hrs and 40 mins later **

My setup

5.JPG

clicking the burn option, gives me this error

6.JPG

followed by this option, which does'nt appear in the guide i'm following step-by-step

7.JPG

then i get this option and thats it

8.JPG

Where's this option gone, I've got imageBurn installed

9.JPG

LOL, what a carry on, the Lord (praise be) does'nt want me to burn a DVD+R DL

Hope someone can help

Edited by zack33

Ach! You can't write to an ISO. Drop the files into a project folder and do your edits there (not sure why you are editing anything anyway; the VobBlanker screen shows the project fits onto a DL - just make a few cell splits and make some new chapter points - only God knows what dreadful authoring package you used to make the DVD but throw it out now). Then use build mode.

If you already have a working ISO, forget about everything. Open ImgBurn. Press Ctrl-Alt-W, select the ISO, insert a Verbatim DL disk in and press the big green button.

And why are we getting this in gigantic pix? Use a screen capture utility like ImageShack QuickShot

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.