Want 8x, always starts at 4x till half

ever

Ok, i have the latest version of ImgBurn on my XP (sp2, NEC ND-3500A 16x, 1gig mem) and Vista (same burner and both are bitset/hacked firmware 1.06) My problem is that when i use ImgBurn to start any burns, it is set for 8x but always starts at 4x and about halfway through, it works it's way up to 8x eventually). When i use Nero on my XP, it starts off at 8x and that's fine. Using Verbs 16x (always set burn at 8x) and Sony's 16x (8x for burns as well) Everything else that's not needed on, turned off, no background apps running and i don't multitask. Both are set on DMA transfer mode. Anyone have suggestions or insight on this?

It would be good if you can post a log from ImgBurn of the burn in question, if you go into Help on ImgBurn toolbar you will see that you can access past logs from there. Just copy and paste the one you want into your reply and we will take a look.

If I had to guess I would say that all is ok, none of my drives start burning at 8x, 12x or 16x they all start out slow and build up to speed during the course of the burn - I would bet that this applies to everyone here on the forum. As for Nero - it lies.... I have to use it at work sometimes and it claims to be burning at a certain speed but if you take the time to work it out you can see that it's not.

How long did Nero take to burn the same dvd that ImgBurn did ? If you compare burn times I will be surprised if they are not almost the same, which means that Nero just reports the speed you requested instead of the actual speed like ImgBurn.

Put simply Nero lies about what speed it is writing at, Most drives start off at a certain speed and build up to the max, sometimes it never happens, drive/media/firmware combination.

Poor media, will if your burner has certain features limit the speed you can write to that particular disc, no 2 disc's are identical with regards to quality, though choosing the best media would give you better odds of the media nearly being identical in quality. Poor quality standards on inferior media/brands would be the point of my case.

Anyways if you don't believe [lfc] or me about Nero then download these couple of registry edits and right click on them and choose merge then burn the same kind of media again, this time Nero will show you what the actual write rate is.

try this first http://www.dontasciime.f2s.com/speednbuffer.reg

if when you try to download it, it turns into a winamp or windows media file [mp3] you would have to right click and save target as then re-save it as .reg or just download the zipped version below.

zipped version http://dontasciime.f2s.com/speednbuffer.zip

look at the disc as 2 circles, the one closest to the hub (center ) will hold the least amount of data and supports the lowest speed, as the disc burns outward there is a larger area, more data and the burner can then write faster ,the fastest burn speed is at the outer edge , the write speed depends on the media and the drives firmware and rated burn speed ie a 16x burner ,they never sustain one constant speed from start to finish. Imgburn reports the speeds correctly. You'll see in the logs after a burn the average speed and the fastest speed the disc was written as

Ok, I see what yall are talking about Nero not giving the correct start speed. I see there is really no difference in times in burning. They both will pretty much take the same time to burn a dvd at 8x. Thanks for the info.

Here is the log:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 - Log

; Thursday, 22 March 2007, 02:53:34

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 02:42:57 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!

I 02:42:57 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 02:42:57 Total Physical Memory: 1,569,804 KB - Available: 999,596 KB

I 02:42:57 Initialising SPTI...

I 02:42:57 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 02:42:57 Found 2 DVD?RWs!

I 02:43:49 Operation Started!

I 02:43:49 Source File: C:\ERAGON.ISO

I 02:43:49 Source File Sectors: 1,898,493 (MODE1/2048)

I 02:43:49 Source File Size: 3,888,113,664 bytes

I 02:43:49 Source File Volume Identifier: ERAGON

I 02:43:49 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink

I 02:43:49 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 02:43:49 Destination Device: [5:1:0] _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A 1.06 (E:) (ATA)

I 02:43:49 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: SONY-D21-00) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

I 02:43:49 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104

I 02:43:49 Write Mode: DVD

I 02:43:49 Write Type: DAO

I 02:43:49 Write Speed: 8x

I 02:43:49 Link Size: Auto

I 02:43:49 Test Mode: No

I 02:43:49 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 02:43:49 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)

I 02:43:50 Writing LeadIn...

I 02:44:14 Writing Image...

I 02:52:06 Synchronising Cache...

I 02:52:07 Closing Track...

I 02:52:20 Finalising Disc...

I 02:52:33 Image MD5: b7298be161a11aa6386f9864bf533a05

I 02:52:38 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:08:44

I 02:52:38 Average Write Rate: 8,044 KB/s (5.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,500 KB/s (8.3x)

I 02:53:34 Close Request Acknowledged

I 02:53:34 Closing Down...

I 02:53:34 Shutting down SPTI...

I 02:53:34 ImgBurn closed!

No worries, thanks for coming back to us - we all found out a while ago that Nero just displays the speed you request rather than the actual burn speed.

Another way to look at it is that ImgBurn is honest and reports exactly what is going on ! :)

The simple fact of the matter mostly likely is because that's how it works. :) Depending on your drive, its firmware version, and the type of media you're using, you can get different burn behavior. For instance, for anything above 4x, on several drives I've had, it was common to burn at 4x for 50% of the disc, then to up in 2x increments of a quarter of the remaining time, depending on the max. supported speed. I had like 2 years of this type of burning, so, I lay it down more on the drives.

Whenever I burn at 8x, it starts off at 6x, then after 10 seconds it kicks the disc speed up and then the burn speed climbs to 8x and stays there for the rest of the burn. I think it is just normal.

different drives have different ways of doing this.

i have a lg that runs at 4x until 10% then goes to 8x all the way thru and another LG that goes to 20% at 4x then upto 8x for the rest.

some people have mentioned 4x to 20% then hits max speed. different models handle this in different ways

its like a car , you can't start off at 100 MPH, you have to build upto it.

It's simple physics. If a drives' maximum speed is rated at 16x, it will only be able to attain that speed when burning near the outer edge of the media. Closer to the centre (where less disk surface passes beneath the laser per revolution), read/write speeds will be slower.

pies r squared I think

to start at 8x would involve spinning the disk at a speed that would allow ~48x speeds at the outer edge

assuming the outer edge is 2.5 times further away from the center?

20x is already pushing the envelope

Edited by chewy

i Have the same drive external and the same happens to me starts at 4X and gradually goes to 8X at 25% so ithink it is the way the drive work. I am going to try changing the device into internal instead of external but the cover case on mine is broken because i tried to open it before

If you have a look at one of the graphs that ImgBurn puts out, all will become apparent. The drive starts off revolving at a certain rate (rps). Due to there being less data on the inside, the burn rate is less. The rps declines so the burn speed is constant. Then, when it hits a "low", the drive kicks up again to get to a new peak, declining to a low and then building up again etc.

The following graph makes it very clear what is going on (green line):

04012007141147uk8.png

Regards

mark this day on your calendar folks, burning 8x media at 12x, what has the world come to?

damn I hate being partial red green color blind and trying to read those lines

thank god for physics

was the drive locked for 4x on verify?

bottom line?

Edited by chewy

purple is one of the colors I have trouble with, thanks guys, just too many lines going at once

finally figured out the 6K is rpm, duh!

no wonder a cracked disk makes such a loud pop when it disintegrates inside your drive

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.