Strange Quirk?

Mike89

Had a weird issue the other day. I have 3 burners, 2 of them SATA and one IDE. They are all on separate channels.

Lots of times I do multiple burns using Imgburn. I have some iso's in a folder, right click on one, choose burn with Imgburn and go. I may then go to another iso and again burn with Imburn while the 1st instance of Imgburn is burning the other one. Never had an issue, both will burn at the same time with no slow down.

OK, I had two burns going on at the same time and my tweaking brain says, "why not try a third one, you got the horsepower and 3 drives on separate channels, give it a go). I right click on a 3rd iso, do the Imgburn thing, and that's when things got a bit weird. The 3rd Imgburn just sat there and the other two that were burning just froze. I had to abort out of the two that were burning. Then one of the drives quit responding altogether (it was one of the two that were already burning when I tried the 3rd). I mean the tray wouldn't even close, no lights, nothing. I rebooted and now that same drive didn't even show up in Device Manager. I'm thinking, "did I just lose a drive"? I then shut down the computer, turned off power for a minute, booted back up and the drive re-appeared again and was working fine.

I know this issue is kind of out of the ordinary being since I don't know how many have actually tried to do 3 burns at once. Does this look like I may have a problem with that drive or did I just try to do too much with Imgburn and the computer. As I said all 3 of these iso's were in the same folder in same Hard Drive. Maybe what I was trying to do was too much reading to do from one HDD all at the same time?

Mike I think trying 3 burns at once is pushing it ,you've been able to run 2 at once but it looks like you're at the point where you're taxing the computer BTW 2 at once is great although I only do 1 at a time and havent burned a coaster in years now

I've not tried this exactly the same way, but I often burn multiple DL DVD copies of discs from a single ISO. Six simultaneously is the most I've tried and admittedly it is slow. I do four at once all the time. I set up all the burns before starting any. If you start one and and then try and open a second instance, it is often enough to cause problems with the first. If burning two at a time, I set my max burn speed to 4x. Three or more and I knock it back to 2x.

I'm using six Pioneer 109 drives connected via firewire and Verb DL's only. I know everyone will say it's risky (and it is) but if a client is waiting for test copies of their project, you don't want to make them wait!

I don't know if it makes a difference if they are all the same drive type or how they are connected, but so far, so good here.

too much strain on hard drive

That's kinda what I'm thinking. All 3 of the iso's I tried to burn were in the same folder in same hard drive. Maybe it was a bit too much reading for the hard drive to be doing all at once. Heads must have been going nuts.

I think maybe if that 3rd one I tried to burn was on the other hard drive (which is on a separate channel also) it might have worked. I'll have to give it a try again like that just to see what happens. Hope I don't lose a DVD drive like the last time (even though I did get it working again).

It was a strange thing to have that drive behave like that, losing all control over it. I've seen freezes with a drive before but never had one just drop out like that where even a reboot wouldn't fix it (only powering completely down for a minute and restarting fixed it). What would cause the drive to behave like that where it would shut completely down? Was it Windows XP that cut the drive out (where even the power button and tray wouldn't work) or was it the drive itself that shut itself down? I don't think Imgburn could have done that.

I set up all the burns before starting any.

Didn't know quite what you meant there. How did you set up all of them before starting any burns. I right clicked on Iso, opened with Imgburn, located the drive, hit burn, then did the same thing on the second one.

I wonder is LUK ever thought someone would be trying to burn 3 disks at once with his program. Heh heh. That means we like his program 3 times as much!

Edited by Mike89

I've not tried this exactly the same way, but I often burn multiple DL DVD copies of discs from a single ISO. Six simultaneously is the most I've tried and admittedly it is slow. I do four at once all the time. I set up all the burns before starting any. If you start one and and then try and open a second instance, it is often enough to cause problems with the first. If burning two at a time, I set my max burn speed to 4x. Three or more and I knock it back to 2x.

I'm using six Pioneer 109 drives connected via firewire and Verb DL's only. I know everyone will say it's risky (and it is) but if a client is waiting for test copies of their project, you don't want to make them wait!

I don't know if it makes a difference if they are all the same drive type or how they are connected, but so far, so good here.

6 copies? are we talking a duplicator here rather than a standard PC?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.