Formatted but empty DVD-RAM error

fordman

Sorry to steal this thread, but this also applies to DVD-RAM and I thought opening another thread wouldn't help much. Feel free to dismember if you want :)

A DVD-RAM formatted with FAT32 will be seen by ImgBurn as an empty disc, and it will overwrite such DVD-RAM with absolutely no warnings, so, please add detection of FAT32 formatted DVD-RAMs, if possible. They're rare but they do exist ;)

Also, and I don't know whose fault it is, I burned an ISO to a DVD-RAM with 'Test mode' enabled and the image was really burned to the disc :(

A DVD-RAM formatted with FAT32 will be seen by ImgBurn as an empty disc, and it will overwrite such DVD-RAM with absolutely no warnings

Don't think mine did that whilst i had it formatted to fat32 (I tried again and def did not overwrite it erase or whatever)

EDIT though test mode did write to ram

btw is this still valid from 2.2.0.1 - changelog

Ability to have the program use erase/format commands where DVD-RAM and BD-RE disc then give their full capacity to the user data area and do not keep any 'spare areas' for error recovery. (Potentially useful for PS3)]

Lightning_UK, you're welcome. I'm just glad you were able to reproduce the problem. What was changed by using the disc in the DVD recorder or with DVD-MovieAlbum?

dontasciime, here is an image if you want to try it, formatted to 4.26, which is the preferred format, instead of the maximum format.

Current Format Capacity:

Sectors: 2,236,704

Size: 4,580,769,792 bytes

Time: 497:04:54 (MM:SS:FF)

Preferred Format Capacity:

Maximum Format Capacity:

Sectors: 2,295,072

Size: 4,700,307,456 bytes

Time: 510:02:72 (MM:SS:FF)

MEI_UDF.rar

Edited by Voyager62

dontasciime, here is an image if you want to try it, formatted to 4.26, which is the preferred format, instead of the maximum format.

Current Format Capacity:

Maximum Format Capacity:

Sectors: 2,295,072

Size: 4,700,307,456 bytes

The same happens to me: ImgBurn's full erase formats the disc to the preferred capacity.

Interestingly enough, DVD Decrypter's full erase works as it should:

Current Format Capacity:

Sectors: 2.295.072

Size: 4.700.307.456 bytes

Sectors: 2.236.704

Size: 4.580.769.792 bytes

Maximum Format Capacity:

Sectors: 2.295.072

Size: 4.700.307.456 bytes

For some reason the full erase command(s) that DVD Decrypter sends are able to free the whole 4.38GB of the DVD-RAM.

I've added basic support for detecting FAT16 / FAT32.

Test mode is a feature of the drive. It works ok for DVDRAM on my LG one (which I just tested) but perhaps doesn't apply to DVDRAM on yours (in the same way it wouldn't apply to DVD+R/RW).

The capacity thing can be changed so DVDRAM + BDRE use the full size of the disc. It's an option in the settings.

Just found it: 'Prefer Format Without Spare Areas' in Write tab of the Settings.

Thanks for the light! :beer2:

One of the comuters upstairs has that option ticked.

So I am not going crazy and did not imagine seeing full size of Ram after format.

Did not help having so many IB's on toolbar was running older version downstairs, had not adjusted shortcut path :D

btw

~How exactly are you packing the rar to get it down to 313k, or is it related to the server side of things, or is it cos the image is actually still just that DVD_RTAV folder and the rest compress to nothing as it was just dummy file to get to 4.37 gig full size image etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.