Batch Build option (and delete original files after build)

eastbayarb

I like the new build feature of imgburn since now I don't need Nero for making general data discs.

what would be a nice feature, since I have a 300gb hard drive full of DIVX movies that I would love to back up onto DVD,

would be to not only calculate how many discs you would need to back up a large volume of files and/or drive (filling each disc up as much as possible), but would automatically build ISOs (or record straight to discs) one by one, and to delete source files once discs are burned or ISOs are built.

I really don't want to use a hard drive back up program since none of them let you burn to the kind of discs that you can just pull files from or even read

without the backup tool.

Edited by eastbayarb

• 2 weeks later...
Well thats a good idea but you could just do it maually. Just use the build function.

Plus i think it would make the file size much bigger, but it might not.

doing it manually would defeat the purpose of spanning across discs. The whole point of my suggestion would be to

have things done automatically in the same fashion that using a queue of multiple disc images is done automatically (in the case of a queue

of multiple disc images, you choose multiple discs to burn, and have it pop out the disc and you insert another blank. in the case of my

suggestion, you would choose multiple files and imgburn would calculate how many discs you need and fill each disc up as much as possible

and pop out the disc, and then you insert another blank - repeating until all files are burned)Besides, if you have hundreds of files on a large hard drive that you want on multiple discs, you would want this done automatically rather than dragging and dropping a bunch of files to a program like nero.

Edited by eastbayarb

I strongly support the suggestion, in fact I went to this forum to make it myself in the first place.

Two more points: I think optimization (filling each disc as much as possible) should be optional: for example, if I want to backup a folder with music I don't need optimization, what I need is alphabetical order (presuming the music is neatly sorted, which is true in my case). And I would like to set the level (i.e. individual files, or subfolders, or subfolders and subsubfolders) to be kept intact: for example, breaking folders (=albums) is undesirable when dealing with music.

Edited by kapahel

So, there's no hope? Very sorry to hear that. As for me I don't need optimization (which would probably require non-obvious algorithms to implement) at all, only alphabetical batching. That would be really sweet.

Maybe someone can tell me about any other way to do what I want (other than bugging LIGHTNING UK!)?

Edited by kapahel

Sorry, this doesn't interest me in the least. (Just being honest!)

That sucks. It would be a great feature of imgburn. Anyone know of another way of doing this? SizeMe and Burn to the Brim don't actually burn the discs, but they merely calculate number of discs needed and/or create ISOs. I want something that will not only calculate how many discs you need (keeping directories and subdirectories intact), but will actually (and most importantly automatically) burn files/folders to disc and eject disc after burning, and propt for next blank to be inserted

Edited by eastbayarb

To be honest it's not something I can ever see myself (nor probably most of the people who use ImgBurn) using.

Hi I just saw this link into the SizeMe site. I couldn't agree more with the users. Implementing SizeMe "handling" for burning with the queue would be a great feature.

The feedback shows that several uses SizeMe on a daily basis, but a burn feature is missing, several are complaining.

My time is limited, so I haven't got time to implement a burn feature, but I can with StarBurn's SDK that I've bought for it. But I love ImgBurn to, so actually it would be a good idea.

Best regards

Lars Werner

(Author of SizeMe)

http://lars.werner.no

To be honest it's not something I can ever see myself (nor probably most of the people who use ImgBurn) using.

Hi I just saw this link into the SizeMe site. I couldn't agree more with the users. Implementing SizeMe "handling" for burning with the queue would be a great feature.

The feedback shows that several uses SizeMe on a daily basis, but a burn feature is missing, several are complaining.

My time is limited, so I haven't got time to implement a burn feature, but I can with StarBurn's SDK that I've bought for it. But I love ImgBurn to, so actually it would be a good idea.

Best regards

Lars Werner

(Author of SizeMe)

http://lars.werner.no

I am the original poster of this thread.

What you suggested would be awesome, but reason I wanted this feature in ImgBurn is because ImgBurn has a queue feature which is convenient for what I need (burns a disc, pops it out after done burning, put in a new blank, repeat process until queue is done). It would be nice to either burn straight to disc or to ISO files. Implementing this feature would make ImgBurn the ultimate tool and would replace many others in a single package.

Just to add another 2p .... three people I've introduced to ImgBurn have asked me whether it can do exactly this thing. They meant just the simple burn-to-the-brim thing across as many spanned discs as needed, for general-purpose backup purposes - nothing more sophisticated than that.

Personally I wouldn't have much use for it - I don't need to backup much "general stuff" in that way, but it seems quite a few others would like it. I wouldn't expect LUK to add it unless it appeals to him, but it seems a worthwhile suggestion to document here.

• 9 months later...

I must say, I can't wait for the one year anniversary of this thread. I was really thrilled to see ImgBurn 2.4.0.0 is able to burn many audio formats. I had been waiting for that feature for some time. It replaces Burrrn.

I was wondering if LightingUK might have changed his mind... seen spanning as a nifty feature... :D

Not a chance...?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.