Access is Denied

Disputantum

DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME)Failed!

Device: [4:0:0] TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L 0603 (E:)(ATA)

Unable to lock volume for exclusive access

Reason: Access is denied.

This is the error message I got trying to use ImgBurn for the first time. Can anyone interpret?

Are you trying to put 8GB on a 4.37GB disc?!

Did you not get a prompt about overburning?!

Yes, I got the prompt; it's ambiguous, and the message above is indecipherable. Anyway, that was the problem. I reduced the size of the VIDEO_TS folder and it burned all right. I was hoping to split the folder over two single-layer disks. The first one burned and played ok; the second burned but wouldn't play.

You're not supposed to decipher the one in the screenshot, that's my job.

The first one though, that should be easy. What's 'ambiguous' about it?!

It basically says (in simple terms):

You want to put 10 litres of fuel in a car that only has room for 5.

Clearly that's never going to work and the last 5 will no doubt spill on the floor.

Do you want to continue?

You're not supposed to decipher the one in the screenshot, that's my job.

The first one though, that should be easy. What's 'ambiguous' about it?!

It basically says (in simple terms):

You want to put 10 litres of fuel in a car that only has room for 5.

Clearly that's never going to work and the last 5 will no doubt spill on the floor.

Do you want to continue?

"Do you want to continue?" implies that it will fill up the disk and stop when it reaches maximum capacity and perhaps continue on a second disk. If it won't do that then it should say so as in: "Can't burn this file; the disk doesn't have enough capacity; switch to a double-layer disk"

Edited by Disputantum

:/ Mmm I have never read the warning message as you did - to me it says that there isn't enough room on the disc for your burn, are you sure you want to continue ?

Perhaps it's cos I remember the old VHS video days, if the film I wanted to record was too long for the tape I never got the end - the video recorder never asked me to insert a second tape, in fact the bloody thing never even gave me a warning !!! :chair:

From an advanced users point of view (which I like to think I am :) ), I quite like that you can burn as much as will fit onto the disc even though it'll probably error out at the end.

It's known as overburning - but not all drives support it. You're more likely to have it error out at the start if you use DVD-R/RW media (because the initial 'Reserve Track' command will fail). With DVD+R/RW media it would error out at the end (No 'Reserve Track' command is issued).

I also find it useful during testing where I can burn any image I want to on a smaller disc, if say I know I only need the first part anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.