No create layer break position box?

jan.t

I am new to this so it should be a simple problem. I want to burn my 1.3 GB shortfilm in double layer since I have heard it has better image quality than single layer (?), but when I press the write button no create layer break position box appears. Instead I get this:

This image doesn?t need to go on a double layer disc, it will fit on a DVD+-R/RW just fine. Would you like to continue anyway?

When I choose Tools -> ISO -> IFO layer break position, an open file box appears.. ? Do I have to create an ISO first on the hard drive? I only have a Audio, Video TS folder with the burning information.

Dual layer offers better quality because it offers more space for video/audio data, but the content has to be authored to take advantage of this.

ImgBurn is just a burning program, so it doesn't convert nor changes the quality of the content/data to be burnt. Since your shortfilm is only 1.3 GB, you can safely burn it to a single layer DVD?R, as such discs can hold 4.38 GiB (4.7 GB) of data.

So double layer is only for problems with space?? I thought double layer meant one identical video layer on top of another and therefore better quality dvd output..?

My author program is dvdauthorgui. Doesnt the dvdauthorgui video_ts folder output support double layer burns with imgburn?

Edited by jan.t

double layer discs are approximately 8.5 gigs single layer are 4.38 .If you were attempting to put a 6 gig file on a single layer disc you would need to compress the file to fit and would reduce the quality (I do it all the time and dont see any problems on a 32 inch tv) putting the same file 6 gigs on a dual layer would not require compression so the quality would be slightly better.

You will have no problems putting your 1.3gig film on a single layer disc and you'll have a perfect 1:1 copy

dual layer is not putting one identical layer over another they are seperate with Layer 0 always being a bit larger than layer 1

So there is no way of a less than 4 GB movie to be better burnt on a double layer than a single layer dvd? Because it is exactly the same technology that performs both single and double layer burning? (and double layer means just two times more space and nothing else)

Edited by jan.t

So there is no way of a less than 4 GB movie to be better burnt on a double layer than a single layer dvd?

no not really

if you have a 1.3gb file to start with , then a single layer disc is plenty . unless you can re-work your source file with an encoding program to higher quality which makes it more than 4gb .

This would be an example, if you have a camcorder and have 2 levels of quality for recording . the lowest level would be under 4gb and a higher level of quality was over 4 gb , then youd have better quality/resolution when viewing it back by using a DV9 dual layer disc . this is purely because the original source file is over 4gb .

Basically, what goes in is what comes out with video files , you can compact video quality , but not really expand it

But once you have your source data, putting it on a DL disk makes no difference to the video quality. Plus it is more costly, and seems riskier since there is only one decent brand ouf DL disks out there (Verbatim).

Go get a good single layer blank (Verbatim or Yuden) and burn your project :)

Regards

DVD video has a maximum bandwidth that must be respected if your disc is intended for playback on a set-top player. This means that the fastest your DVD player can read the data from the disc is 9.8Mbps. This includes Video, Audio, Subtitles and the like. This is why your DVD authoring program (DVDauthorgui) needs to compress the video into MPEG2 and probably the audio into AC-3. The compression/encoding stage is where your quality is set. The higher your bit-rate the lower your compression and the better the quality.

Keeping in mind the 9.8Mbps (mega bits per second) limit for DVD-V, if you do the math, your program would need to be longer than 60 minutes before you would even be able to consider a Dual Layer disc. 9.8Mbps / 8bps x 60s x 63m = 4,630,500 bytes.

Keep in mind that DVDs are measured in base 10 and your hard drive looks at base 2, so even though your disc says 4.7GB, it will only hold a file that is 4.36GB from your computers HD.

Also, a Dual Layer disc is not double a single layer disc. Because of the track spacing that is needed for a DL disc, each layer only holds 4.2GB for a total of 8.4GB. It is still a lot of space, but at max bit rate, a single layer can hold 63min and a DL will hold 114min. You also need to worry about a layer break, the spot in the video where the disc switches from layer 0 to layer 1.

Last, I don't recommend maxing out your bit rate if your final product will be DVD-R. Many times recordable media is not as easily read as a pressed DVD. If you max out your quality, you don't leave your player with enough time to error correct on playback and can end up with stuttering or jumping video and audio.

If you take the time and use a good encoder, you can get very nice quality from mid to low bit rates.

Sorry for all the info. Maybe to much, but I hope it covers your issue!

As a rule of thumb, use 8000 as your max BR.

Thanks,

If my final medium is going to be DVD-R, I often use a max of less than 8. If a pressed disc is the end, 9.8 is usually where I end up. I often have discs with 16bit Stereo PCM, Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 along with 7 or more subtitle tracks. If I kept the max to 8, I wouldn't have enough head room for the video. Sometimes if you've got it, use it and let the players sort it out....

On a side not, the correct spelling of disc (not disk >_< ), when referring to optical media comes up every time in the spell checker. I had to add it to the dictionary. Weird?!?

On a side not, the correct spelling of disc (not disk >_< ), when referring to optical media comes up every time in the spell checker. I had to add it to the dictionary. Weird?!?

Disk and Disc are both correct. Probably just a regional thing like gray/grey or jail/goal.

Disk and Disc are both correct. Probably just a regional thing like gray/grey or jail/goal.

I was always under the impression that when referring to any optical media CD/DVD/BD it was always disc with a "c". When talking about magnetic media 3 1/2" & 5 1/4" floppy or Hard Drive it was disk with a "k" as in diskette.

Can anybody back this up or have I been misinformed for many years?

I'm not sure why I care, but I feel I need to know for sure.

EDIT:

Just found these links. I guess they sum it up.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302152

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_or_disk_%28spelling%29

Edited by necrocracker

Shamus me mate. Neo is right on this one. AFAIK, "Disc" is actually correct when discussing optical media and "disk" is OK for hard drives. God knows why (or why it could possibly matter).

Regards

disc or disk , depending where your from as well i guess ,i was taught disk as a kid at school , and disc was an Americanism g however, if you look in the "Volvo's definitive guide to correct spelling" it comes out as

"disque" ,

dissc ,

discks

or desk

disc or disk , depending where your from as well i guess ,i was taught disk as a kid at school , and disc was an Americanism g however, if you look in the "Volvo's definitive guide to correct spelling" it comes out as

"disque" ,

dissc ,

discks

or desk

Actually in Volvo's guide it would more than likely come out as...

Dick,

Dicks or

Ducks !

=))

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.