Using ImgBurn to make a Windows XP boot CD

mcfruit

If you do that, ImgBurn asks you to change "Level 1" to "Level X" and "Standard" to "DOS". I did both and it seems like the bios can still read the bootable disc, so I think ImgBurn is right. Please consider updating your post (I'll then delete this one).

Yeah, well, that was posted more than 2 years ago, and now ImgBurn treats OS install discs differently. Anyway I've modified the post according to the current behaviour ;)

Shame on you for not updating all your posts based on current info mmalves :P

I'm forever checking all the posts I've ever made on all the forums making sure the info is still correct to this day... heaven forbid something on the Internet should actually be wrong or out-of-date!

I followed the guide to the letter but only got a bunch of warnings from imgburn that wanted to change things. First it didn't like the ISO9660 + joliet and wanted to change it, I looked back at my nero tutorial and it had ISO9660 + joliet so I ignored that warning only to be warned more near the end with all kinds of irregularities found by imgburn itself so I quit and reinstalled nero just to make my boot cd. I was using the latest version of imgburn and it ticked me off with all its warnings. Between your over simplified tutorial and imgburns refusal to accept it, I got turned off on imgburn as any kind of replacement for anything let alone Nero. Someone needs to update this Tutorial with one that works, or at least tell you when to tell imgburn what it can do with all its changes.

It's NOT a tutorial... if you treat it as such then that's your problem.

Just do what ImgBurn tells you to do and it'll work.

Everything ImgBurn tells you to do falls in line with what a REAL pressed/original XP install CD looks like.

Of course if you want to keep thinking that Nero is king and knows everything, be my guest.

I followed the guide to the letter but only got a bunch of warnings from imgburn that wanted to change things. First it didn't like the ISO9660 + joliet and wanted to change it, I looked back at my nero tutorial and it had ISO9660 + joliet so I ignored that warning only to be warned more near the end with all kinds of irregularities found by imgburn itself so I quit and reinstalled nero just to make my boot cd. I was using the latest version of imgburn and it ticked me off with all its warnings. Between your over simplified tutorial and imgburns refusal to accept it, I got turned off on imgburn as any kind of replacement for anything let alone Nero. Someone needs to update this Tutorial with one that works, or at least tell you when to tell imgburn what it can do with all its changes.

Use nLite for service pack integration, it will also make an iso image for you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.