Why won't my DVD Player recognise DL discs :( ?

marsbarbabe

PLEASE help.. I'm desperate to have a full sized working version of StarWars Ep3 on a DVD-R DL disc. I have tried several times and wasted a fortune of blank DL discs! Both +r and -r :&

I have a Pioneer 110D v1.37 firmware

Have ripped to an .iso using DVD Decrypter (latest/last version)

Using Verbatim DVD-R Dual Layer 8.5Gb discs

Have tried burning with DVD Decrypter and now going to try imgburn.

When I have tried burning with DVD Decrypter the burn and verification went fine. BUT the darn disc just won't play in my main DVD/burner/Hard Drive player which is a Pioneer DVDR-720H. However the last disc I tried; a DL -R did play in another DVD Player I have. Which is fine for the bedroom BUT I really really want to get a working disc in this DVDR-720H as this is a vital component in my AV system and cannot be changed.

I did read somewhere on this forum that people were setting the book type to DVD-ROM. Then I read elsewhere that you can't change this in the Pioneer burners, YET they do burn discs as a DVD-ROM anyway?

So my last hope of success comes in the form of imgburn. I just got the lastest version 1.1.0.0 and went to burn another disc. However, after nervously pressing start I get a message saying ...

'layer jump recording disabled!

Ccannot set the layer break position when burning

DVD-DL media in DAO mode.

Do you want to continue?'

.. hmm what do I do? What setting do I need to change?

Is this likely to even work for the DVDR-720H player I have? Does anyone else have this player with this problem? I can't find a compatabilty list for it anywhere. Although it plays all my other DVD-R discs fine. Not +r discs.

ANY other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've only a few more verbatim DL-R and DL +R discs left and will have to call it a day as I can't justify spending anymore money on dual layer coasters.

All I wanted to do was sit down and watch episode 3 in its ful (backed-up) glory with the light off and the sound up.

Thanks all!

MBB

Are you sure that the player supports them ?

I've had a look at the pdf manual and it seems to make no mention of DVD-R DL discs. It appears not to support DVD+R/+RW discs either.

I've also found recently that bitsetting ability on the Pioneer's is dependant upon the firmware being used, e.g. the latest patched/hacked firmware for my Pioneer DVR-108 (1.20) doesn't have bitsetting ability, got to use the Piodata 1.18.

I note that there are a few threads here that discuss the patched/hacked firmware for the DVR-110 models. Some do booksetting while others don't. I also gather just from scanning over some of the posts that the official firmware doesn't do bitsetting.

Make sure you use the DVD+R DL discs, NOT the DVD-R DL ones.

The drive will change the booktype to DVDROM automatically when you burn on DVD+R DL and you'll also get a layerbreak in the right place - which you can't do with DVD-R DL.

Unless your player really just cannot read the media (and that's nothing to do with it just saying it can't - as is often the case if you don't change the booktype), you should not have any problem.

Thanks VERY much for the replies guys.

Just my luck - haven't got any more DL +Rs - Just ordered a couple more.

I'm gonna start praying now; for when they arrive.

So if this doesn't work - am I stuffed?

I'll let you know how I get on once the discs are delivered.

Thanks again

MBB

• 2 weeks later...

SOB! :'(

Just wasted ?'s

I burned it using DVD+R DL discs and the player says 'Can't Use'

Looks like I'm stuffed.

Thanks for your help though guys.

The most annoying thinig is I think the pioneer 720-H has a pioneer 107 drive in it - which should be able to read them fine.

I really hate giving up but might have to, unless anyone else has other ideas?

Merry Christmas!

MBB

Sorry - I should say that I used verify at all times - t'was OK

and yes they play in other players.

Stoopid Panasonic DVR720H player!! Grrrr

I can't really use another player in addition to this as this is my main DVD player which has a hard drive and ALL the other sockets are taken up with other stuff.

Merry Xmas all!

MBB

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.