Continual Disc Error

tnalbundy

Every time I burn a DVD with IMGBurn and try to play the disc in my DVD player, disc error shows on the screen. It only occurs with IMGBurn. Nero works fine, but I can't get a disc to play when using IMG. Does anyone else have this same problem? Please help.

How are you burning those DVDs? All you need to do is, while in Build mode, add the VIDEO_TS folder and click the big Write/Build button.

Also, please post the log of one of such burns (you can find it at Help/ImgBurn logs).

ImgBurn.logAll I do is start IMGBurn, browse for the folder, open the folder, and click on the big burn button. The write speed is on auto. I thought that was the problem and put the speed on 4x and 2x thinking that I was writing the discs too fast. But, I got the same results. Just to let you know, the files that I am burning are movies off of the internet and IMGBurn is the only burning program that gives me problems. The program worked wonderfully when I first downloaded it. I like it because of the ease of use and would like to figure out the problem.

tnalbundy, I would slow your burn speed down to 8X from max and get some Verbatim discs as well. Also check for some newer firmware for your burner. :)

I 21:45:48 Source Media Type: DVD+R (Book Type: DVD+R) (Disc ID: SONY-D21-00) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 18x)

I 17:37:14 Source Media Type: DVD+R (Book Type: DVD+R) (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-R03-04) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

Your drive isn't booktyping DVD+R media to DVD-ROM, which is required by some DVD players in order to play the disc. If I recall correctly, Nero does this automatically, so that could be why discs burnt with it are working. If you can, please insert one of the working discs in your burner and, with ImgBurn in Write mode, copy and paste here the information shown on the right side of ImgBurn's window.

After some research, it seems that your Sony AW-Q170A is, in fact, an Optiarc AD-5170A (read more about it here) so, if you're feeling adventurous enough, you could try and flash your burner with Liggy's AD-5170A Bitsetting Firmware 1.12.

I am not really competent on computers. I can do intermediate functions and enough to get me into trouble, so the flashing of burners with firmware is something that I am not up to speed on just yet. Is there a toggle on IMGBurn that will mkae the program bookmark the dvd+r to dvd-rom? Here is the text from the right window of IMGBurn:SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A 1.70 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2,264,896

Size: 4,638,507,008 bytes

Time: 503:20:46 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

TOC Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2264895)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 2264896)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: RICOHJPN-R03-04

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: RICOHJPN-R03-04

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,461,503

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Is that from one of the discs that work with your DVD player (the ones burnt with Nero)?

//edit

Since your drive is probably a re-branded Optiarc, try the NEC tab of the 'Change Book Type' window. By the way, if it does work, it'll only be applied to the next burn(s), so, when in doubt, go there and double-check :)

Edited by mmalves

As you're only burning an ISO, there is very little room for error.

The thing that strikes me is that your PC seems unable to sustain a steady stream of data - even when you're only burning at 4x!

You should NOT be seeing those buffer recovery messages if your machine was running correctly.

Do the discs you're burning play on your PC? Do they play in a mates standalone?

Yes, the disc was burnt with Nero. Yes, the discs play in my PC. I don't have a mates standalone. As far as the NEC tab, where is that located? ( I told you that I am PC handicapped.) As far as the firmware, is it fairly easy or self-explanatory?

Go to Tools/Drive/Change Book Type, or you can click the icon that looks like an open book (in Build mode it's in the Device tab).

As for the firmware, if you don't feel comfortable about it, then you shouldn't do it. There's always the risk of not working, which could render your burner completely useless, and besides, from the information you've posted, Nero also isn't booktyping your media, so this isn't the problem.

To avoid those buffer problems you should defragment your HD. Also, just to be sure, please check if your drives are using DMA mode.

When I said 'mates standalone', I wasn't talking about a specific device, I meant do they work on any of your friends standalone players?

If they play on your PC but not on your standalone, perhaps it's the standalone that has the issue?

O.K.. I changed the NEC tab. I put DVD+r media in the change for slot and put DVD-ROM in the new settings slot. I hope this is what I was supposed to do and that it works. As far as the DMA, I don't feel good about my abilities to do the functions wihtout messing up my PC. I will try to get one of my friends that knows what they are doing to do it for me. Thank you for all your help. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. I appreciate all or your advice and help. Thanks again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.