ImgBurn fails to assign a CD-ROM profile to (SCSI only ?) CD-ROM / CD-RW + minor cosmetic bug

MIG

First a big thanks to Lightning UK for providing this very good program for free (I really like razor blade alike tools!)

1) ImgBurn fails to assign a CD-ROM profile to (SCSI only ?) CD-ROM / CD-RW in read mode:

post-7301-1179495819_thumb.png

Trying to read the CD yields a SCSI error:

post-7301-1179495949_thumb.png

I 15:06:53 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 15:06:53 Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195 : Service Pack 4)

I 15:06:53 Total Physical Memory: 523.760 KB - Available: 321.420 KB

I 15:06:54 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:06:54 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:06:54 Found 1 CD-ROM, 1 CD-RW, 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW and 1 DVD

Edited by MIG

The Plextor drive isn't MMC compliant and that's what ImgBurn is based on.

It's the drive that's failing to report the current profile, not the program - the drive probably doesn't support the command used to get that info. That's also why the read command is failing, the drive just doesn't support it.

I expect the log window issue is due to you using large fonts or something. It certainly doesn't do that if everything is 'normal'.

The window jumps in stages so that the listview height is a multiple of the individual line height. If it's a few pixels off, it'll jump down to the next closest multiple.

1) Yes, the Plextor drive isn't MMC compliant but the YAMAHA CRW4260 is:

C:\Program Files\CDRTools\>cdrecord dev=2,6,0 -prcap

Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a25 (i686-pc-cygwin) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 J

post-7301-1179506830_thumb.png

Edited by MIG

Again, all the 'Current Profile: Unknown (FAILED!)' bit means is that the 'Get Configuration' command isn't supported by the drive.

This is true of many old CD drives. Sure, I could pretend it doesn't fail, but then that doesn't really help / tell me anything.

As you can see, it doesn't really matter anyway. The program works around it when it needs to.

Getting back to the other problem... I've stuck a vmware session of XP into 120dpi and done some testing.

I've made a few changes and hopefully it looks better to you now. I certainly have no issues with the log window shrinking, but to be honest I'm not sure I ever did! (perhaps that could be a win2k specific problem?)

The log window lines and drive comboboxes now scale depending on the DPI selected - so the text isn't cut-off anymore. They are custom drawn, hence why they didn't just work by default like all the other controls.

120dpi.png

It's not W2K specific, you did some changes in 2.2.0.0 which continously round down the window size to a lower limit.

Your 'old' program has a constant non shrinking log window on my machine:

post-7301-1179527780_thumb.png

and the registry entry is also different

"LogWindow"=hex:00,00,01,14,00,00,01,bf,00,00,02,d9,00,00,02,1b

Edited by MIG

I just thought it was odd that I didn't see it happening under XP.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that whatever it was has been fixed now.

If you look at your last screenshot you'll see an empty bit of window where the listview doesn't reach the bottom of the actual form. Fix one thing, break something else... it's sod's law!

Yep, shit happens in real world programming, thanks for looking into it.

A final word to my problem #1, for future releases of ImgBurn I would like to see one of the following approaches:

a) remove non MMC compliant drives from the device list, so they can't be used furthermore

B) add the classic read commands for pre MMC drives

The current behaviour is IMHO inconsistent.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.