ImgBurn 2.3.2.0 + Daemon Tools 4.09 = Mis-burns

Pestam

Since I have installed Daemon Tools yesterday, writing images to discs seems to go wrong, because the verification fails horribly. Errors are found in the first sector on blank new media which batch never gave me errors before, new and old CD-RW have also many errors in the first sector, then in the second, third, and so on... It's like 20-30% of all bits were flipped.

Either it's a general problem with Daemon Tools or it's their new low-level driver "SPTD1.43".

Btw, I'm using Nero's driver for ImgBurn to access the drives...

On a sidenote: Normally I hate these virtual optical drives drivers, because they mean trouble, just like what obviously happened now. But I had to install it, because I wanted to convert several exotic image file to ISO, so I can augment them with ECC data with dvdisaster before burning. Since there are no converters out there, at least I found none, I mounted them with Daemon Tools and ripped them from the virtual drives to ISO images. It would be tedious to install and uninstall these virtual drive drivers everytime I want to convert an image... but I guess it's better to not run your system with things like Daemon Tools in the background.

EDIT: The SPTD.sys driver definitely does something or tries to prevent something... to the registry! It hooks some kernel functions but I'm not sure whether they can affect burning:

sptdhooksqd4.png

Well, I'll deinstall, wipe off DT's driver remains and see if things are back to normal.

Edited by Pestam

Yeah I know about the Nero interface issues, it doesn't like me using VirtualAlloc for the I/O buffers - and that's not really my problem.

I think it's the SPTD interface that DT uses messing things up. Update to the 1.45 beta version and try again (the change log mentions a fix with ASPI layers that wrap SPTI - which is what the nero one does).

btw, why not just use SPTI?

Yeah I know about the Nero interface issues, it doesn't like me using VirtualAlloc for the I/O buffers - and that's not really my problem.

Yeah, I figured it's not a bug in ImgBurn. (Move the thread to Support if you want...) It's just that I'm not registered at the Daemon Tools forum, so I asked here... :teehee:

I think it's the SPTD interface that DT uses messing things up. Update to the 1.45 beta version and try again (the change log mentions a fix with ASPI layers that wrap SPTI - which is what the nero one does).

Hm, I've just deinstalled DT. Also the SPTD.sys which never gets removed after deinstallation (you have to hit ESC during bootup and remove it manually from the filesystem/registry/device manager). So... I rather not test DT in the near future again. I have a deep aversion against this tool, it was only an emergency why I used it.

But I'm sure what you've said is the solution to the problem. It seems to got fixed with SPTD v1.45.

btw, why not just use SPTI?
Dunno! :homestar:

Anyway. After deinstalltion of DT and its residue burning works again (with ASPI) like before.

There's an uninstall program / switch for removing the SPTD interface

Yeah, it's "SPTDinst-v143-x86.exe remove" on the command line. Without the "/", just tested it. ^_^

but you're quite correct, it doesn't get removed when DT is uninstalled. I guess the idea is that other programs could be using it too as it's not specific to DT.

Hm, like Alcohol 120%... it would be fatal if DT removed the SPTD driver on a system where also Alc120 was installed. :teehee: Yet, it was especially this SPTD driver and the lack of an option to remove it along with DT, that bugged me.

BTW: Do you know any more "system friendly" virtual CD/DVD tools that don't depend on such a "nasty" driver? I think these tools are quite handy, for example for converting images of different types to ISO. It mustn't have any anti-copy-protection systems, but should support a wide range of image formats. Maybe that's even a likely feature candidate to be included with ImgBurn... either an image converter (++) or virtual drives (+)... :thumbup:

Edited by Pestam

Have you tried UltraISO, MagicISO, PowerISO or IsoBuster?

If I recall correctly, any of them should be able to do what you want.

Right, I have IsoBuster and it can "extract" (i.e. practically convert) the whole image to TAO (i.e. .ISO). :thumbup: Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't think of that.

EDIT: Btw, my attempt to convert an .IMG file and a .BIN/.CUE file to .ISO with Daemon Tools also failed miserably. I ripped from the virtual drives using h2cdimage, which relies on Nero's wnaspi32.dll, exactly the one which gets shot in the knee by SPTD 1.43. After augmenting the ISO with ECC data using dvdisaster, I tested the ISO images and they were corrupted. This has happened for the first time, that I cannot read the contents of an ISO treated with dvdisaster. dvdisaster only appends ECC to the ISO and it doesn't touch the first part of the image at all. Of course, h2cdimage failed to correctly extract from the virtual drives. So my overall experience with Daemon Tools can be described as a catastrophy. >_<

Edited by Pestam

Going by my testing, it was. (although it's not actually a DT problem, it's a DuplexSecure (SPTD) problem. DuplexSecure admit the previous versions had problems with ASPI that wraps SPTI)

Changing the Nero ASPI version didn't do anything for me - but I didn't try donta's specific one, I already had a collection of them.

Since updating to SPTD 1.45 Beta, I've been able to switch ImgBurn to using the VirtualAlloc function and Nero ASPI works fine - even the latest version.

• 4 weeks later...

i actually stumbled across this thread in vain of trying to alleviate a problem of mine.

since reinstalling XP after a trial of Vista a couple of weeks ago, i hadnt attempted a burn until this weekend - with dismal failure.

i keep getting error messages of Invalid Address For Write

after searching through google for similar problems, people say its either the drive (Pioneer 111D), or media, and everyone recommend using verbatim media for dual layer (which is what i was trying to burn).

however i am using verbatim dual layer media, and the problem exists when trying to burn to single layer media also.

ive tried burning through nero as well as imgburn.

ive put my dvd drive into another computer and it seemed to work fine. so its not the media and not the drive as i first thought.

after coming across this thread, i got a little bit of hope.

with the new installation of XP, i decided to install the latest version of DT, which uses the 1.43 SPTD drivers. I did update to 1.49 before seeing this thread incase it was something to do with that, as i use the SPTI burning engine.

however this still hasnt alleviated my problems, and burns keep failing. its about a 50/50 success ratio at present.

i will try uninstalling DT, as well as the SPTD drivers, and see if that makes a difference. ill report back with my findings.

im starting to run out of ideas, as my current setup was working perfectly with the last OS install of XP, then Vista, but something is causing problems for this install of XP.

any other suggestions/ideas would be most appreciated.

many thanks in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.