question about Layer Break message

paulg

a couple of times while creating an ISO using imgburn,after setting it up and then clicking the calculator,i'll get a "Layer Break" screen. What's going on,and is this normal? should i select all? i'm confused. this is the 2nd time i have gotten this when creating the .iso. any help would be appreciated.

ImgBurn gets those options from the IFO files of your DVD-Video content, and you can choose only one of them. ImgBurn also rates them based on various factors, so, if you select the best option as per ImgBurn's advice, you should be OK.

Remember that you can always use the preview button to see where each option is on your DVD-Video content.

well since my post i read the guide and it said that so i did what it said but after i selected it,the calculator came up and did a test and it said "97%" but at the same time,the file said it was going to take 8 gig but a disc only goes 4.7. didn't make sense to me. Am i supposed to select another layer break file and hope it goes under 4.7? anyway,i hope i don't have to do this very often. layer breaks do not rule. hehe.

ImgBurn gets those options from the IFO files of your DVD-Video content, and you can choose only one of them. ImgBurn also rates them based on various factors, so, if you select the best option as per ImgBurn's advice, you should be OK.

Remember that you can always use the preview button to see where each option is on your DVD-Video content.

did a test and it said "97%" but at the same time,the file said it was going to take 8 gig

The "media required" for that 97% should have been a DL disc too...

Am i supposed to select another layer break file and hope it goes under 4.7?

You need to compress your 8 gig original file with a program such as Recode to get it under 4400Mb and then you should be able to use Imgburn to burn that file onto one(1) single layer blank DVD.

well i think it makes it hard to use IMGBURN if it gives me this message for Double Layer DVD's because if i get this in the future,that means i'll have to use Shrink on those dvd's as i have no double layer discs. But anyway... :(

If you had gone any further ImgBurn will warn you that you are trying to burn an .iso that is too big for a single layer disc :)

ImgBurn is assuming that if you select an uncompressed .iso then YOU know what you are doing and will be inserting a dual layer disc for the media. As above if you insert a single layer disc you will see a warning screen before the burn begins and then you can either use a compressing program or a DL disc.

well i know that stuff but it don't matter because it'll create a .iso that is 8 gig's and as that is too big a file it won;'t fit in a single layer disc. unless it auto converts it to a 4.7 gig or less,then it's useless.

Actually they are more like entry level programs...if you can make Imgburn "go" and have the concept of source input and target output down then you should have no problem.

yeah but programs like that are meant for advanced users so it'd take a person with a phd to figure it out. unless it says step by step how to condense the file,i'll end up giving up.

to make 8gb fit on a 4gb disc you need to compress it , use either recode or shrink . if this is not easy enough for you stick to files under 4gb

Or buy a dual layer burner and DL discs :rolleyes:

I know you need to compress it,but i can't figure out how to do it with recode. Can you put a step by step thing that shows how to do it?

yeah but programs like that are meant for advanced users so it'd take a person with a phd to figure it out. unless it says step by step how to condense the file,i'll end up giving up.

to make 8gb fit on a 4gb disc you need to compress it , use either recode or shrink . if this is not easy enough for you stick to files under 4gb

Or buy a dual layer burner and DL discs :rolleyes:

Are all versions of nero tool now free, If so wonder why ?

I don't think the rest are free, but the ones I want are...Recode, CD/DVD Speed and Nero Infotool. I could really care less about the rest.

I fairly sure recode isn't free?! It's part of the nero package - which of course you have to pay for.

That said, if your machine has never had nero on it and you can install recode without it asking for a serial number / activation, I guess it must be!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.