SmplBurn (simple file-burning interface for ImgBurn)

Chugworth

Although ImgBurn is not exactly hard to figure out.

I agree...the learning curve is pretty low with Imgburn. Kinda a no brainer of a program.

For many people like myself, this is true. SmplBurn is not a program that I would normally use. Instead, it is a program that I would setup for other people - people who don't know what the concept of a "CD Image" is.

For them, ImgBurn can be hard to figure out. Try explaining to them which mode to use, which type of file system should be used, whether to include hidden or system files and recurse subdirectories, and what to put for the ISO9660, Joliet, or UDF volume labels. They're just presented with too many options, and my goal with this interface is to make it as simple as possible to burn files to a disk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
well I agree with the "I agree...the learning curve is pretty low with Imgburn. Kinda a no brainer of a program." But This line explains it all "This program is written in VB.NET 2005" xD

hmm... You people keep thinking that this is something I made for all of you to use yourselves, which it is NOT. I agree that for most of us, the ImgBurn interface is fine. It's plain and simple. But for a computer novice, it is simply not clear enough. Computer novices need just as few steps and options as possible, and that's what my interface is for.

Just looking through these forums, I see posts here from people who have gotten confused with the ImgBurn interface:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4564

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4253

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4547

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4543

And these are just people who bothered to post in the forums. In fact, I believe that they are not computer novices, but rather people who just didn't take the time to figure out the program.

And one other thing for nycjv321, some people don't realize just how powerful VB.NET 2005 has become. It has advanced a lot from the old days of VB6, and it's the language I use the most, because for the work I do, it seems to be the quickest.

Edited by Chugworth

But for a computer novice, it is simply not clear enough

In your humble opinion. Or have you taken a statistically significant sample of ImgBurn users and determined this to be true within the parameters of the Normal Distribution? If so, please publish your results. If not, please refrain from making categorical statements based on a statistically insignificant sample (this is generally referred to "blowing it out of your arse").

One thing I would however like to see in the Help menu is a link to the Guides section of this forum. This might just eliminate some of the inane questions we get from people too lazy to search the guides (some of which might very well be included in your links).

Regards

You people keep thinking that this is something I made for all of you to use yourselves, which it is NOT.

So would you like LUK to 'pimp' this program beside his own on this site and label them...Imgburn- (for those who know what they are doing) and Simpleburn - (For those who have trouble turning the PC on).

I think if someone has a problem with the interface it is as Blu so eloquently stated, they are too lazy to open their eyes.

ImgBurn and its forerunner ( which will remain nameless) was'nt intended for novices, it was more for people who knew what an IFO , UP , VOB , ISO ect ect was.

having read the links you gave , all of them had been answered/covered in the guides section or the web site.

I can see your point about a simplified interface, but i dont think theres a need for it, as the intention of the support forum was to help anyone with difficulties, wether they had simple or technical issues.Also this method allowed people to help each otehr in real time as well, as opposed to guessing what a certain phrase or statement actually meant

Anyone who "wants" to use a program will find how to use it if they really want to , even if it means asking in the "Help" section.

I dont think theres been anyone who has'nt found out how to use it yet after coming in here and asking.

Nero's the same, it may have a simplified "express" menu, but you still have to select files to work with using the "ADD" button . regarding nero , as you said, you still have to show them how to use the "Express" interface !!.

there IS lots of options within ImgBurn , but as the home page says

" Whilst ImgBurn is designed to work perfectly straight out of the box, advanced users will appreciate just how configurable it is."

Like all programs, if you mess with settings and you dont know what they do, your bound to get into troubles, however, if you leave ImgBurn at default/installation settings, you should be able to burn a disc without problems.

to create a simple Interface , as you mentioned, you have to have hardly any options/choices at all , unfortunatley not eveyone wants to make the same disc/content of the same thing, so you have to have options .

I tried your program on a basic XP machine, and it gave me the ".NET framework initiallization error", prompting me to ask my application publisher about which version to use. admittedly you said it was included in vista, however i would guess the majority of PC users round the world are still on XP , so i foresee a few users getting problems trying to install .NET framework anyway. point being that even the simplest of statements can cause confusion. its all about how something is explained

You people keep thinking that this is something I made for all of you to use yourselves, which it is NOT.

So would you like LUK to 'pimp' this program beside his own on this site and label them...Imgburn- (for those who know what they are doing) and Simpleburn - (For those who have trouble turning the PC on).

I think if someone has a problem with the interface it is as Blu so eloquently stated, they are too lazy to open their eyes.

Fair enough. I have removed the program. I thought it would be a good idea to post it to the forums in case anyone else had a use for it, but apparently not. I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

And one other thing for nycjv321, some people don't realize just how powerful VB.NET 2005 has become. It has advanced a lot from the old days of VB6, and it's the language I use the most, because for the work I do, it seems to be the quickest.

LOL "how powerful VB.NET 2005 has become." I already understand that but lemme try and keep it short and simple every year Microsoft releases a programming language that makes coding really simple(Very n00b Friendly), visual basic(basic for that matter if you know what that is :) ) was incredible when it first came out now there is .net framework which started out at 1.0 and is now at 3.5. Each time it gets more powerful as you would say. You are not really coding if u want to call what you are doing in a .net environment coding :) your calling up prewritten code. Its more Powerful because it is much easier to "script". .net and vb didn't just pop out of thin air it was made from another coding langauge now to run a .net app you need to install the framework which can be a real pain in the @ss its a 30meg file that installs itself and adds a ton of reg keys, startup processes, and comes out uncompressed at around 200megs (fabulous compression btw kudos Microsoft) I personally don't want to download and do this every time some noob releases a very simple hack of a progam :). Imgburn is very simple to use not for the average user ill admit that but if it is so complex then either go out and buy Nero since it is aimed at noobs or use Windows XP Build in Burning Feature? since you expect the user to be able to download and run something as "powerful" as the .net framework i believe you also expect to be running at least windows XP.

why did I refer to .net as a scripting language and no more is because a .net app is never actually compiled :) the "script" that you write is stored within the executable and is ran within a VM in laments terms "a .net interpreter" (.net is the easiest language to reverse engineer go use google and search for decompilers :) ) (all those extra processes on your pc with .net will have this :) which converts it to machine understandable language.

also what do mean quickest? quickest to code or quickest as in apps are faster(less cpu time and usage also less ram usage)? look at smaller apps, coding in pure C/C++ and ASM and you will be amazed. Also in how they dont require 100's of dlls (where the real code is stored :) ) you will be very surprising as well.

Coding wasn't (or better said shouldnt be) intended for everyone. Thats why you see so many cr@ppy apps(mostly coded in delphi and VB) on Windows and not so much on Linux, BTW Imgburn Forum i have now officially switched to Slackware Linux no more windows (although i am a MCP that is ironic right?) Although I will attempt to keep up with Imgburn when on Windows Hosts or using Windows true a VM since I will never (i hope that stays true) use Windows Vista :) if anyone wants to know why reply and ill explain :)

Edited by nycjv321

Coding wasn't (or better said shouldnt be) intended for everyone. Thats why you see so many cr@ppy apps(mostly coded in delphi and VB) on Windows and not so much on Linux, BTW Imgburn Forum i have now officially switched to Slackware Linux no more windows (although i am a MCP that is ironic right?) Although I will attempt to keep up with Imgburn when on Windows Hosts or using Windows true a VM since I will never (i hope that stays true) use Windows Vista if anyone wants to know why reply and ill explain

Tell me

Crappy apps written in delphi whats next.

I need to know why I should not be using Vista and why linux would be better.

ok if u get the idea that i meant all apps coded in delphi are crappy LOL i didnt mean that only that alot of people attempt to code in it when they cant :) and at the same time there are many apps that are coded in delphi that are incredible! (this is also the same for VB)

"I will never (i hope that stays true) use Windows Vista smile.gif if anyone wants to know why reply and ill explain smile.gif "

Is what I said, not that you shouldn't use Vista. Vista is an "OK"(lemme go wash my hands :) ) OS for most people, but not all.

for me there are several reasons why I will not use vista I think Genuine Advantage is an OK idea to stop piracy so that is the only reason it is not on this list although making sure your copy of XP as "Genuine" every time you went to Microsoft Homepage to download "certain apps" was a real pain in the arse :)(since most downloads were available to any user and some weren't which didnt make any sense at all?)

1.)Price not everyone can afford to spend $300(is that right amount?) on XP with alot of visual improvements and "security" enhancements Although microsoft is getting smart and will soon cut prices :) (to let people buy new pcs to get "Vista" on it :)

2.)Monitered information Vista logs what you do (not specifically) and sends to microsoft servers

3.)That 26page license :) I think that explains it all :)

4.)DRM in place I dont think i should be limited in using Music that I have purchased (I dont like Big Brothers)

5)Hardware Requirments to run. Vista by defualt using around 600megs of ram this is not including video memory for "aero" which would either require a top notch video card or shared memory which then decreases overall system performance. Those systems with 1gig of Ram running vista are killing with paging (why do you think it is recommended to get 2gigs of ram?) :( so to basically run vista I need a brand new pc :(

7.) So many Different Versions. XP had a great Idea Home and Pro only different were networking cabilities (working in domains etc.. etc...) now there is Home, Busisness (both have different versions as well: Basic and Premium if the PC is to old Basic will disable Aero) and Vista Ultimate each one has different Features and Ultimate has them all it all depends on how much You the consumer want to spend so certain features are not disabled

Why did I switch to linux?

1.)The idea of GNU software

2.)Cost, although when I am imployed i wish to donate back to the "community" (including imgburn :) )

3.)Hardware requirements that is self understood (more you have more you get :) got a good pc with linux on it?, then get compiz fusion something windows well bever have)

4.)LESS Viruses - Linux and Mac based os's can have viruses but if ure making a virus who are going to target? 10% of the computer Market or 90% of it?

5.) Linux Distos (for the most part) are more efficient then Microsoft Based OS's (work better on older systems(not including KDE lol), better memory managment etc... etc... no registry, )

6.)Better for the Power User. The user has much more control over what he/she is doing nothing hidden in the backround restricted what you do

7.)Much more flexible then Windows. You control EVERYTHING you do in linux

8.)Dont "baby" you as the user you are expected to know why you are doing :)

Also some other links that can better explain why

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Things I dont like about Linux :(

1.) Drivers :( Less Driver Support which is already beginning to change with more recent kernels, and More Hardware Manufacturers are becoming Linux compliant

2.)Less software, Although I have found every kind of software I had under Windows under Linux (so this is more of a gerneral statement) which will soon be less true as more users switch over (meaning more programmers which also goes back to idea of GNU everything is made by the commmunity so you to can help contribute to a greater cause)

3.)Dont "baby" you as the user you are expected to know why you are doing :) (yes i already said that but it goes both ways :( )

4.)Less support (doesnt affect me more general problem about linux although forums, irc, etc... etc.. do and can help :) )

(List for XP would be longer :) )

Im not telling anyone to switch to linux i was only responding to what dontasciime said and asked :)

and yes LUK ure right "Oh dear, you had to take the bait didn't you tongue.gif" LOL

and going back to what I said originally, Vista is a "Great" OS to use (lemme go wash my hands) for most people but not for all :)

Edited by nycjv321

See I found Linux to be lacking, every machine I have ever had it on always had some driver missing, like gigalan network non recognition. Poor screen detection. Lots more issues, too many versions of Linux.

Strange with it being so FREE that only 10% of the market uses it. Or would that be 5% Mac 5% Linux ?

Linux has some neat mods and structure is quite clever but I prefer Windows as It works 100% of the time (resource hog , maybe) and you probably could not run it for weeks at a time without switching off without some corruption somewhere as opposed to Linux which I have seen running non stop for over a year.

Each to their own.

See I found Linux to be lacking, every machine I have ever had it on always had some driver missing, like gigalan network non recognition. Poor screen detection. Lots more issues, too many versions of Linux.

Strange with it being so FREE that only 10% of the market uses it. Or would that be 5% Mac 5% Linux ?

Linux has some neat mods and structure is quite clever but I prefer Windows as It works 100% of the time (resource hog , maybe) and you probably could not run it for weeks at a time without switching off without some corruption somewhere as opposed to Linux which I have seen running non stop for over a year.

Each to their own.

LOL yea how long ago and what Linux Distro? like i said newer kernels support more hardware and as more hardware companies decide to open source to their drivers hardware incapabilities will disappear (not any time soon though)

for the "too many versions of Linux." its true but better then you have more to choose from rather then just one although its harder to settle down with only one :(

also to your last statement :) like i said better memory management :) Linux file systems ext2,ext3 are less prone to fragmentation as well. :)

"Strange with it being so FREE that only 10% of the market uses it. Or would that be 5% Mac 5% Linux ?"

LOL got me :) well thats cuz no one knows about Linux, that is changing as well since Dell is begining to sell Computers with Ubuntu (which is slow compared to other Linux distros, I dislike ubuntu very slow, alot of bugs as well :) I actually think it is against most hardware companies contracts with Microsoft to sell anything other then Vista (already change most are selling XP upon request.

and Apple Computers are way to expensive. Also I would use windows xp over mac osx anyway I REALLY hate how they market their products: BASH the opposition and don't talk about your product is an excellent marking scheme :) (At least Microsoft doesn't do this)

excuse the typos :(

Edited by nycjv321

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.