recent failures writing under wine

weedbucket

for the past year or so, i've been using imgburn on fc6 under wine and hardly ever getting any coasters.

about two weeks ago, i accidentally tried to use one of those coasters as a blank and got imgburn hung trying to read it.

finally ended up rebooting the machine to get it back.

since then, i get at least one miscompare on disc verification of nearly everything i burn.

i have two similar machines, both now exibit this behavior.

both are amd x2 cpu, 2gb ram, all sata hdd, lite-on pata burner, nvidia chipset and video.

since this has started, i have done clean installations of imgburn, and clean installations of fedora 7 on both machines.

at one point, a few days ago, with no changes made to the system, one of them suddenly made 15 good discs in a row, then went back to burning duds.

so far, i have tried verbatim +r dl, and two different vintages of memorex +r discs.

i was afraid that at some point i did a yum update and got perhaps a new version of wine that caused the problems, so i found and compiled a 0.9.32 and a 0.9.38 version.

the only thing i can think of at this point is that it might be a kernel bug (that only appeared when i rebooted into the new kernel). since i foolishly upgraded to fedora 7 on both machines, i can't really drop back to a previous kernel.

if i can't come up with anything else, i could scrape up an old hard drive and install fc6 again.

i know that wine is not the primary target for this software, i was just wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem.

thanks for your time.

p.s. i should also mention that i've tried both the current version of imgburn and an old copy of 2.1.0.0 that i had sitting around.

Edited by weedbucket

two different vintages of memorex +r discs.

Mainly these are made by CMC and are only fit for target practice and sun catchers.

should also mention that i've tried both the current version of imgburn and an old copy of 2.1.0.0 that i had sitting around.

Not a good idea to use any of the past vewrsions of IB since the upgrades always correct little flaws that were discovered and past versions are not supported here.

As far as wine is concerned, haven't got the foggiest how it works and what may be screwed up. Have you made sure that your firmware for the burner is up to date?

A good idea would be to post a logfile when referring to problems as there is a lot of info that we can glean from it... :thumbup:

while the know that the memorex discs aren't the best, i've been using them successfully for quite some time with my present equipment. also, i've been using my drives for some time with very few failures. i did upgrade the firmware to what was the current version several months ago.

my intent with mentioning trying different versions of imgburn was to show that i've been being as diligent as possible at trying to eliminate different things. by checking an old version of imgburn, i can pretty much rule out the idea that it might be a regression that slipped into the imgburn codebase.

i will get a log file together when i get home tonight.

thanks for your time

here's a log:

I 19:28:14 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 19:28:14 Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195 : Service Pack 4)

I 19:28:14 Total Physical Memory: 2,059,880 KB - Available: 1,408,516 KB

I 19:28:14 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:28:15 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:28:15 Found 1 DVD

just got in a new sata burner. same problem.

so far, i've tried:

three different drives

two different interfaces (ide and sata)

multiple firmware versions

two different versions of imgburn

two different motherboards

two different os versions (fc6 and f7)

several different versions of wine

multiple iso images

two different brands of blanks (memorex +r and verbatim +rdl)

on two different machines...

and it all just started out of the blue.

perhaps it's a linux kernel bug. i just don't know.

I 17:42:38 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 17:42:38 Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195 : Service Pack 4)

I 17:42:38 Total Physical Memory: 2,059,880 KB - Available: 1,661,904 KB

I 17:42:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:42:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:42:38 Found 1 DVD

Edited by weedbucket

what happens if you burn at 8x ?

same problem:

I 18:28:03 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 18:28:03 Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195 : Service Pack 4)

I 18:28:03 Total Physical Memory: 2,059,880 KB - Available: 1,263,048 KB

I 18:28:03 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:28:03 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:28:04 Found 1 DVD

If you say you've tried 2 machines, can I assume that those machines (when running a real copy of XP etc) work fine?

When under wine, what happens if you run a standalone verify? Does it always find errors in the same sectors / byte locations?

If you say you've tried 2 machines, can I assume that those machines (when running a real copy of XP etc) work fine?

When under wine, what happens if you run a standalone verify? Does it always find errors in the same sectors / byte locations?

(finding and) installing a copy of xp is my next thing to try. it's been a while since i've had it on anything other than my fiance's laptop.

as for the repeated verify attempts, yeah, it looks like it. i really think my problem is in the write phase:

I 03:01:53 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 03:01:53 Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195 : Service Pack 4)

I 03:01:53 Total Physical Memory: 2,059,880 KB - Available: 1,560,256 KB

I 03:01:53 Initialising SPTI...

I 03:01:53 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 03:01:53 Found 1 DVD

my other identical drive is flashed to HS0E

So why wouldnt you use the drive that is current then?

i switched them to make sure that the drive wasn't the problem and, to tell the truth, i hadn't realized that the hs06 one had hs06. i had thought that i had both of them at hs0e.

• 1 month later...

just an update...

finally realized that the program which cannot be mentioned still works fine under wine (so long as you set the /mode on the command line). i'm just gonna' use it and keep an eye on things whilst the wine guys fix their bugs.

I've just installed WINE 0.9.43. It corrects the unicode issue nicely, but ImgBurn doesn't pick up the DVD drive - reports no devices detected :(

I've only recently tried getting ImgBurn to run under WINE so don't know if this is another WINE bug or something with the setup I'm running yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.