ImgBurn and HP Photosmart Software

Felix de luxe

Hi everybody,

First of all I have to say that ImgBurn simply is _the_ burning solution for me, no need to use Nero or similar bloatware anymore.

However, I have encountered a strange problem. I own an HP Photosmart 2610 All-in-one printer. When I install ImgBurn after having installed the printer drivers the printer doesn't work anymore. It is still shown in Windows Print Manager, but it is always in offline mode and I can't switch it back online. So documents simply go into the printer's queue but never print. By the way, I have connected the printer via ethernet to its network interface, not via USB.

The problem goes away after reinstalling the printer drivers. But this means that each time I update ImgBurn I have to reinstall the printer drivers afterwards which is quite a lengthy process.

I have confirmed this issue using a fresh installtion of Windows Vista. I installed the printer drivers, did a few reboots, worked a bit with the system and everything went just fine. Then I installed ImgBurn, did nothing else but reboot Windows and immediately printing stopped working.

So my question is: Has anybody else made such an experience? Is this a known issue? Or how can I help in coming up with a solution to this glitch?

Best wishes

Felix

P.S.: Please forgive me for not being specific at all concerning the version of the printer drivers and the overall system spec because I am currently at work. If you find this interesting enough to dig into the issue, I'll be happy to provide all the necessary info. I'm using a basic run-of-the-mill Dell Dimension 9150 with Pentium D 820, SATA-RAID with Modes 0 and 1 on two discs, LG and ASUS DVD-Recorders, 1 GB of RAM, on board Ethernet NIC made by Intel (I think it's called ProSet 1000). But I really don't think that is a kind of hardware failure because everything else works just fine, no intermittent crashes or whatever.

Felix, I've never heard of this type of problem before with Imgburn. Might I suggest you connect your printer via USB ports not ethernet and see what happens. I can't see Imgburn causing this problem. Have you checked Hewlett Packard for an updated driver for Vista? I believe this machine was sent out with drivers for OS's up to XP. :)

Thanks for your quick replys. Believe me, I was very reluctant to post this question here because I couldn't imagine ImgBurn having anything to do with this printing problem either.

Originally, when I first encountered this issue using Windows XP, I didn't think of ImgBurn as a possible explanation at all. But then I did a fresh dual-boot install of Windows Vista and right after the setup of ImgBurn the problem appeared. Only then did I draw a connection between the printer drivers and ImgBurn.

Then I uninstalled ImgBurn from the Windows XP environment which I use for productive work (unlike the Vista installation which is just for testing), reinstalled the printer drivers and no problems at all ever since. So I figured there had to be some relation between ImgBurn and the printer drivers.

I am going to try to reproduce the behavior with a clean install of Windows XP and look somewhat deeper into which files get changed and which processes are being loaded. I'll get back to you if I find something noteworthy.

Felix,

I have a HP Photosmart 3210xi connected to a router via Ethernet and use ImgBurn with no problems... Though I am running on Windows XP Pro SP2 and not Vista (I won't even consider Vista as an option until at least SP1, and perhaps SP2 with all I have been hearing from my peers). Have you tried to disable any of the unnecessary things the HP is doing at startup to see if that resolves the issue?

Best of luck,

SithTracy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.