Finalization error handling

Loren

Imgburn is determined to finalize a disc no matter what. There is nothing you can do to simply abort a burn even if you get repeated errors attempting to finalize it.

Of course if you don't finalize the disc it's just a coaster but if you know it's failed anyway there should be a way of saying to completely abort.

At least my burner is external so I can unplug it and get out. If it's internal you're stuck--even if you kill the task the drive will be locked. IIRC the only way out of that one is to reboot.

While this is operating as designed that doesn't exempt it from being a bug. It's simply a design bug instead of a coding bug.

I'd actually 2nd the idea of an abort button but if the drive is hanging, I'm not sure there's much that can be done other than a power down.

Regards

If the flag is set to show the burn failed, it'll now prompt before performing sync cache and the finalise disc commands (subject to further testing).

I'm not so sure it's a good idea because drives can get confused if a write operation doesn't finish off properly and you just end up with loads of 'command sequence error' errors.

I'm not so sure that's true. If it errors out, you can abort it.

This is a program suggestion more than a bug. I'll move it for you.

The problem is that if it can't finalize the disk you're stuck in an infinite loop. Tell it to cancel and it finalizes again. It's *NOT* the drive hanging--it eventually gives up and comes back with the error about not being able to finalize.

I'm not saying to dump it out in the middle of an operation, I'm saying to optionally not attempt to finalize on an abort.

It's not infinite.

There's a little fall back mechanism where if one variation of the command fails, another one is attempted. In the generic I/O error boxes, there's no way to differentiate between you telling it not to retry the same command (i.e. 'cancel'), or to totally give up.

Depending on exactly which command you 'cancel', there should only be a few extra (slightly different) attempts at that specific function (be it closing the track, closing the session, closing the disc etc).

Just don't have any failures and it won't be an issue! It's certainly not one for me.

It's not infinite.

There's a little fall back mechanism where if one variation of the command fails, another one is attempted. In the generic I/O error boxes, there's no way to differentiate between you telling it not to retry the same command (i.e. 'cancel'), or to totally give up.

Depending on exactly which command you 'cancel', there should only be a few extra (slightly different) attempts at that specific function (be it closing the track, closing the session, closing the disc etc).

Just don't have any failures and it won't be an issue! It's certainly not one for me.

I've got a spindle of questionable disks--about 1 in 3 burn fine, the rest fail with power calibration errors while finalizing. Unfortunately the label is long gone, I don't know where to return them nor could I prove whose disks they are so it's either get what I can out of them or toss the whole spindle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.