Sharing burners across a network

Milx

• 2 months later...
Is there possible to add features like NeroNET and ToastAnywhere�?

So that people can share the same burner across a network.

http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/neronet-prog.html

http://www.sonic.com/about/press/news/2003...xio-toast6.aspx

That would be mighty handy :]

:ninja::shifty:

• 1 month later...

Milx & Keiran,

It looks like such an addition would be more of a hinderance or limitation, from where I sit.

I guess cost is the big issue here. If you're interested in shared burners, they make multi-disc towers (and carousel-type units) that have their own HDs and are able to be connected or shared via the network. Some (carousel-types) have printers attached, and can hold a good deal of blank media for when you get ready to burn. Most have decent proprietary software that does a decent job of handling and queuing burns over the network.

But you may have to shell out a good deal of $ for these... I've used quite a few different models, and I have nothing bad to say about their performance. One good thing was, you can use them from any OS that has a working network connection.

The upside is that all that's usually needed is access to a web browser (unlike NeroNet, where each client machine has to have the full app installed--I read the server app is free if you plan on sharing your burner with 3 or fewer users--will cost if you want to share with more than that). You use a web browser interface in NeroNet, but only after you have installed the full app on the clients and the server app on the machine with the shared recorder. Maybe NeroNet is abandonware, because I had a hard time finding any details about it on the Nero site. (Most of what I read came from here.)

As far as ToastAnywhere goes...not much to say. I don't think it proved to be all that high on people's list of "must-have" features for that app. Apparently you had to have the full app installed on each machine (as with NeroNet), but that could have been problematic if you intended on sharing your burner with a Mac with an OS earlier than Jaguar. I read about this at this site.

^_^

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.