Layer break tweaks for DVD-Audio

Balwyn

I've been successfully using ImgBurn to make ISO images of my unencrypted DVD-A disks and hybrid DVD-A/DVD disks and burning them. Until recently, I could fit everything onto a single layer DVD-R, but two recent projects using DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL ran into some minor trouble.

1. Four gigs of AOB files plus 2 gigs of VOB files. It would have been preferable to put the VIDEO_TS material on one layer and the AUDIO_TS material on the other to avoid any layer breaks in the middle of a VOB.

Is it possible to allow forced layer separation of AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders ?

2. Five gigs of DVD-Audio material. I had no way to know if the layer break was mid track or at a track boundary because the LAYER BREAK setting feature seems to work only when making images of VOBs and not AOBS (or mixed).

Is it possible to extend the layer break setting feature to include DVD-A material ? Setting the later break to occur on track boundaries is the preferred place.

Can I feel a donation coming on ?

Edited by Balwyn

1. Not unless the AUDIO_TS folder comes first. The data on layer 0 must be greater than that on layer 1.

2. If the DVD-Audio spec is anything like the video one, the tracks will be in separate cells. If so, ImgBurn will make the LB at a cell boundary (ie not mid track). If you can post a screen shot of the ImgBurn LB dialogue box, we can confirm for you.

As a policy, do not ever use DVD-R DL disks. Only use DVD+R Verbatims. The MKM-001s seem to be the best.

Regards

1. Not unless the AUDIO_TS folder comes first. The data on layer 0 must be greater than that on layer 1.

2. If the DVD-Audio spec is anything like the video one, the tracks will be in separate cells. If so, ImgBurn will make the LB at a cell boundary (ie not mid track). If you can post a screen shot of the ImgBurn LB dialogue box, we can confirm for you.

As a policy, do not ever use DVD-R DL disks. Only use DVD+R Verbatims. The MKM-001s seem to be the best.

Regards

1. The audio _TS folder coming first sounds like a good idea given that its contents are always bigger (on DVD-A's) than video_ts.

2. Unlike with video titles, I couldnt get the LB dialog box to appear at all with DVD-A material, yet the total size required DL.

3. Note your attitude to -R DL. I have tried TDK's +R DL 2.4x disks and they made at least 3 older DVD players crash when searching menus on large video titles (newer DVD players are OK) , so I standardized on Verbatim -R DLs and have had no further problems. I assumed the problem was +R DL compatibility, perhaps its a TDK issue instead. a number of my colleagues have had similar issues with +R DL. However you seem to have had a different experience. I would welcome hearing more about your strong preference for +R DL

2. As mentioned in my previous post, that's to be expected. I don't do anything with the content of the AUDIO_TS folder (well, apart from a little file ordering). I don't parse any of the files and hence there's no chance of the LB dialog coming up based on AUDIO_TS content. If the content of the VIDEO_TS folder has to span the LB, only then will it pop up.

3. DVD+R DL are better because the physical LB position can be moved. That's not possible on DVD-R DL, hence there's much less chance of ImgBurn finding a cell that'll fit with it exactly.

+R also support bitsetting.

Verbatim DVD+R DL discs are the only ones to use. I'm not at all surprised that the other brands caused your players to hang, they probably couldn't read the disc.

2. As mentioned in my previous post, that's to be expected. I don't do anything with the content of the AUDIO_TS folder (well, apart from a little file ordering). I don't parse any of the files and hence there's no chance of the LB dialog coming up based on AUDIO_TS content. If the content of the VIDEO_TS folder has to span the LB, only then will it pop up.

3. DVD+R DL are better because the physical LB position can be moved. That's not possible on DVD-R DL, hence there's much less chance of ImgBurn finding a cell that'll fit with it exactly.

+R also support bitsetting.

Verbatim DVD+R DL discs are the only ones to use. I'm not at all surprised that the other brands caused your players to hang, they probably couldn't read the disc.

Thanks for the explanation. I will give Verbatim +R DL a try out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.