Recommended floppy format prog?

dbminter

Can anyone recommend a floppy format utility for Windows? I need something that is not command driven. (Although command switches would be a bonus. :)) I need a GUI. Something that doesn't run the FORMAT.COM unless it does run FORMAT.COM BUT displays any messages, regardless of if they're errors or not, returned by the format. Preferably, this GUI would also display a time bar or some indication that the format is running/accessing the floppy drive. This PC case was designed by an idiot. :D The bezel overs the floppy so that 1.) the eject button hardly works and requires a tool to get the disks out of the slot once ejected 2.) the floppy drive light is covered so there's hardly any way to know if the drive is being accessed. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a floppy format utility for Windows? I need something that is not command driven. (Although command switches would be a bonus. :)) I need a GUI. Something that doesn't run the FORMAT.COM unless it does run FORMAT.COM BUT displays any messages, regardless of if they're errors or not, returned by the format. Preferably, this GUI would also display a time bar or some indication that the format is running/accessing the floppy drive. This PC case was designed by an idiot. :D The bezel overs the floppy so that 1.) the eject button hardly works and requires a tool to get the disks out of the slot once ejected 2.) the floppy drive light is covered so there's hardly any way to know if the drive is being accessed. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Right click A drive and choose format from the contex menu

Or you can do like me dumb ass and just lay the floppy on top of the power adapter to my laptop =))

Sorry, I should have also included, "NO context menus." :) Yeah, I'm fully aware of the right click, but, right clicking is DUMB! While a good idea in concept, a poor idea in execution because you never know when Windows will just decide to ignore your right clicks, display an incomplete context menu, display it bleeding down what is SUPPOSED to be the bottom of the screen, etc. I hate context menus ;) and avoid them whenever I can. I guess the Format context MIGHT be a part of Computer Management. I'll check.

Another reason to avoid the context format for floppies. If the floppy has a bad sector, the context menu will NOT "load" because it keeps trying to access the disk first. And, ejecting the disk and trying to select Format won't work because Windows complains that, yes, there is no floppy in the drive! :rolleyes: What a bunch of fuquers! :D

Oh, and, care to harbor a guess if Computer Management did any good? ;)

Edited by dbminter

Another reason to avoid the context format for floppies. If the floppy has a bad sector, the context menu will NOT "load" because it keeps trying to access the disk first. And, ejecting the disk and trying to select Format won't work because Windows complains that, yes, there is no floppy in the drive! :rolleyes: What a bunch of fuquers! :D

Oh, and, care to harbor a guess if Computer Management did any good? ;)

Without looking and going from memory only I'm going to say NO, computer Management did no good because it does not see a floppy drive, only CD and DVD rom drives.

Now, I could be wrong on that so let me know as you got me curious :whistling:

As for not liking context menu's, my other option works just as good db, lay the floppy ontop of the tower near the back by the PSU will create just enough of a magnetic field to erase the disk :thumbup:

Well, Computer Management DOES find fixed discs, too. So, it finds fixed discs and removable discs like CD and DVD... but not floppies... idiots! :)

As for using the magnet idea, technically, no it's not a good idea. ;) Because if you use it, you STILL have to format it afterwards in order to use it. So, why use an unnecessary extra step? :D

Well, Computer Management DOES find fixed discs, too. So, it finds fixed discs and removable discs like CD and DVD... but not floppies... idiots! :)

Who idiots? I said it does not see a floppy drive, only CD and DVD rom drives. :thumbup:

As for using the magnet idea, technically, no it's not a good idea. ;) Because if you use it, you STILL have to format it afterwards in order to use it. So, why use an unnecessary extra step? :D

We'll, you got me there, thats true =))

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.