double layer disc problems

noob

so..I have a imgburn, yesterday I updated it with lates version, I have this double layer disc (dvd+r dl), its speed is 8x and it's 8.5gb at size, unfortunately it's not verbatim but traxdata disc, but I don't think that's the problem, problem is that whenever I load the disc nothing happens and imgburn keeps showing -device not ready (no reference position found),

what about that thing what reads discs, I don't know much about it, in fact I'm total newbie in all that pc software/hardware stuff..but I think it should be able to read and burn those double layer discs, person who configured my pc told that, but maybe there's way to check that out somehow just in case, but if I'm mumbling crap now, just tell me what's wrong in your opinion...oh right and I don't have files in vob, ifo or bup format, I wanted to write avi and rmvb files...

If you're just watching them on the PC you can burn the files in whatever format you like - a PC can be made to play just about anything.

If you want to play them in a standalone player, you'll need to see if it's supports the file types you've got. That's something you'll have to do yourself I'm afraid.

If you do want to convert them to DVD Video format, checkout Vso-Software's ConvertXtoDVD.

• 2 months later...
Your drive doesnn't appear to support the discs you're trying to use. See if you can find a firmware update for it or return the discs in exchange for some 2.4x Verbatim ones.

That isn't necessarily completely accurate advice. I just received 100 Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x discs that were unfortunately made in India. Both my Lite-On LH-201AS and two Plextor PX-760's have reported this same message, along with write and verification errors. I've had 11 failures out of approximately 30 discs from two spindles. And yes, my drives all have up-to-date firmware. I've burned in the neighborhood of 400 Verbatim Singapore DVD+/-R DL discs, and can only remember having one coaster. I've decided that mail ordering discs is no longer an option unless the company will guarantee the discs are Verbatim Singapore.

Edited by LazLong

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.