Formatting issues under Vista

bjurry

I use TDK DVD+RW and a brand new HP PC. When trying to burn an image from my harddrive to an empty unformatted DVD, ImgBurn can not get the DVD formatted.

The message is""unable to lock volumes for exclusive access"...

I launched ImgBurn as Administrator...

Anyone any clues?

I also have an issue that DVDs I clone using CloneDVD2 are only readable by my PC, nott by my regular DBD player... I'm wondering that the issue is perhaps with either Vista, the TDK discs (I tried about 5 different ones), or my (brand new) build-in burner....

I also have an issue that DVDs I clone using CloneDVD2 are only readable by my PC, nott by my regular DBD player... I'm wondering that the issue is perhaps with either Vista, the TDK discs (I tried about 5 different ones), or my (brand new) build-in burner....

try setting the booktype to dvd-rom if your burner supports it

as to the other issue you could goto tools / settings / write tab options and untick lock drive and then try to format but put it back afterwards as there will be a better solution somewhere somehow.

If you have media center player open close it.

[EDIT] Could you try this first in media player 9/10/11 whichever version your using

untick rip cd when inserted

rippo3.gif

I adapted the setting as suggested: no requirement to lock the drive.

Result: the formatting did start now but after completion I get the message: "Synchronise Cache Failed! ... Reason: Write Error."

Googling a little I did find some references to Norton perhaps being the cause: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/192779

But the post dates from 2005 (....) and I find it hard to imagine that today this would still be an issue. And if it is, it is a pain to have to disactivate Norton and restart my PC before any DVD burn...

The locking issue is covered in the FAQ.

I do NOT recommend you disable locking of the drive. (i.e. go back and re-tick that option!)

I did read the FAQ and downloaded Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com (is now Microsoft). The processes found are either Registry-related or .... Norton 360...

Searching at Symantec I found nothing regarding the issue...

I'll try again w/out Norton active...

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. I used Process Explorer and searched cdrom, got nothing. Searched the drive, D:, got nothing. I keep getting the same "access is denied" box that bjurry describes above. Anyone have any other ideas or maybe there's something I'm not doing right? Help is greatly appreciated!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.