OPEN SOURCE ImgBurn

tom9876543

And since when have I been helpful?

i remember a particular time when you invented an ingenious way to get rid of crc errors =))

That sounds like a load of crap to me...................... :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

corny, you are mistaken. That was a way to make CRC errors (basically, to take a stanley knife and etch the disk as hard as you can). Funny, they didn't grant me a patent on that one.

How are you Jack - got over getting so near to the Rugger Cup yet?

Regards

Alright Blu, yeah no probs with the rugger. We got closer than you bloody convicts anyway!! :D

How are you mate? Fiery still giving you hell?? I have a new job now as an Ambulance driver and the hours are bloody long so i'm hardly at the keyboard at all these days. <_< Good fun though, most of the time you get paid to sit round and drink tea and read the paper!! :coffee:

Nah, we dont work that hard!! :beach:

Hah! It was shit this year! Had a great season last year, scored a shitload of runs and i've been just shit this year! ;) Been too busy coaching the kids to practice so my form was rubbish. Won the league though and got promoted. :thumbsup:

Glad you are both ok. :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand LUK's hesitation to make the project open-source. Once open source he'd lose control, because instead of having a hardworking individual working on implementing truly useful feature additions, and working on performance and stability of the program, the development would turn into something like this:

1) Even though it deals on a hardware and low level OS level, people would want the project to be ported to the three major OS streams (Mac, PC, Linux). As a result of this, Everything would have to use *nix widgets that just look ugly in Windows, and every window would be a grotesque waste of space.

2) In trying to make it more interoperable between OS's, the program would run using something that minimizes change of code base between OS's. As a result it would either be a big messy Java beast, or it would force Windows users to install Cygwin (so much for a 1MB burner software). In any case, support would have to be dropped for anything lower than Windows 2000.

3) In all this mess of porting code base to different development platform the program will be extremely buggy and lacking in any functional updates. The new project developers will start begging for additional developers.

4) Instead of doing something useful like improving the stability and functionality of the program, all the new developers will be busy making skins and useless plugins. So we will now have Hello Kitty ImgBurn, and the ability to video-conference in ImgBurn, but it won't work on half the Burners out there.

Really it's no great loss to me that it isn't open source. One major "benefit" cited for open source is frequent updates. In my experience these updates are required because the program is really crappy, full of bugs and needs updates for functionality reasons. LUK is actively developing the program and bugs are minimal at best. Even if development stops it won't matter because the program does what it's designed to extremely well. Another example is DVD Shrink. Although development has stopped, it is still a great re-authoring tool and will remain that way.

I've frequently found this to be the case, where closed sourced freeware vendors can provide software far exceeding the quality of open source efforts.

If you're interested in Open Source Disc burning, look at InfraRecorder.

I can understand LUK's hesitation to make the project open-source...

...people would want the project to be ported to the three major OS streams (Mac, PC, Linux)...

:thumbup:

I think there are those of us who already use IMGBURN in Windows and Linux (via Wine, even if you have to do some minor tinkering to get it to work). If it's doable in the Mac's native OS, then that might be something else I'll try just to say it could be done.

Great program (can't say that enough--moved me to donate some funds, as I use it quite a bit), and should be author's prerogative as to its direction.

Again, I say :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's always interesting getting a suggestion to go Open Source. But you can use ImgBurn in all Windows flavours that matter and you can run it under wine in Linux. If you are an Apple user, I have a feeling you already have a burning program you are fond of.

So going Open Source would achieve er.... well, for a start, it would mean that any further development/improvement of ImgBurn would be by committee decision and OS compromise. AAAARGH!

PLEASE DON'T! :santa:

(If anyone actually wanted the code (without reverse engineering of course), all they have to do is to open up some kind of Borland C++ Builder (what? you don't have one?), reinvent all the dialogs etc that LUK has created to make it easy for us all to use and then work out what the code would be for each and every button on them. Easy really. Piece of cake. Definitely won't take you a quarter of the time LUK spent so far. And there you'll have it - your very own source code! :pirate: Probably only take you a few years if you work nights.)

• 1 month later...
Hello

Would it be possible for you to give a reason why it won't be open sourced?

Maybe you should think long term. One person can't manage ImgBurn forever. Everyone will die one day. What happens to ImgBurn then????

Open source ImgBurn and it will live forever.

Thanks

Well first off there are several on Sourceforge.net that already exist why take a flower and paint it black :pirate:

Here is one good reason! Type these words into the search feature on sourceforge.net image burner Burner Burn Or any other word associated with it and take a look at how many programs exist and how many of them have died a painful death... Don't subject ImgBurn to that type of cruelty...

Woot you go LUK! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Keep up the good work!!!

Edited by Ajax_Maxx

Must have never noticed this thread until someone posted to it again...

Open Source is usually a graveyard for applications...especially when they have already started and are being used without it. Once there the author has no control over all the garbage it can become, and he really doesn't make any money. Kinda harsh saying he doesn't make money as it is...he may not be rich, but it looks like he is good enough to keep going no matter what so far. Heck as soon as this next version is out and everything works cool, I myself will be donating. It already does more than Nero in the way of burning. A couple fixes are really all I'm waiting on. The audio CD stuff sounds kinda cool too. If it adds audio extraction from CD to Wav/Mp3 it would be all the "cooler"...if that is a word.

The original poster was kinda funny too. Out of everything the app does he thought a log window with a listview and some snap-to code was the best thing??? If he isn't capable of doing that, what exactly would he contribute in Open Source?

• 3 weeks later...
The audio CD stuff sounds kinda cool too. If it adds audio extraction from CD to Wav/Mp3 it would be all the "cooler"...if that is a word.

If you go into the ImgBurn options (Tools > Options) and click on the 'Read' tab, you will then be able to enable the 'Audio CD - Default to WAV file' feature. If it does what I think it does, ImgBurn will rip each track to your computer in WAV format.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.