Using buffer differently when building ISOs

Michael Butscher

Hi,

if I understand it correctly, ImgBurn holds a read buffer in main memory during writing an ISO file and it seems that it tries to write data from the buffer and to fill the buffer with new data at the same time.

While this method is of course right when burning a CD/DVD, for creating an image it might be much faster to first fill the buffer until it's full then completely empty it (by writing only), then completely fill it up again (by reading only) and so on.

If source files and the destination ISO file are on the same hard drive the frequent switching between read and write needs a lot of seek time.

Michael

That's not really the way circular buffers work but I can see your point. To implement it I'd have to just keep on waiting for it to empty and synchronise the activity between threads. That is of course subject to it knowing all the files are on the same drive in the first place. Seems a bit of a bodge to me though.

My advice then would be to:

1. Perhaps invest in a 2nd hdd if it's something you do frequently. (I know I always go from 1 drive to another)

2. Burn on the fly and not via an image.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.