How to get ImgBurn working on Ubuntu 7.10

LIGHTNING UK!

Just so you know, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to anything Linux!

This guide is actually being created at same time as I try to install Ubuntu 7.10 (DVD) and get ImgBurn up and running for myself. If I can do it, you can too ;)

So... where to start?! At the beginning of course!

Goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the desktop edition of v7.10 from a location near you.

Personally, I clicked on the 'Download' link, followed by one called 'complete list of download locations' at the bottom of the page. I then selected 'United Kingdom' from the 'DVD downloads' section right at the bottom of the page. I then opted to download the file called 'ubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.iso' by clicking on it. Thanks to the University of Kent for providing the download mirror :)

Once that's finished downloading (it may take a while!), burn the image to a disc.

With the 'bootable' Ubuntu disc inserted in the drive, boot up the PC you want to install it on.

When presented with the startup menu, select the first option - 'Start or install Ubuntu'.

1.png

Wait for it to load the desktop and then double click on the 'Install' icon on the left.

2.png

Next you need to go through a 7 step wizard...

Step 1 - Select a language for the installer.

3.png

Step 2 - Tell it where you are.

4.png

Step 3 - Select your keyboard layout.

5.png

Step 4 - Configure your partitions.

6.png

Step 5 - Unknown - only appears if you select 'Manual' on Step 4?

Step 6 - Tell it who you are.

7.png

Step 7 - Ready to install.

8.png

So when you're done, click the 'Install' button and away it goes!

All being well, it'll eventually finish and you'll see the following box:

9.png

Do as it says and remove the bootable disc from the drive, then click the 'Restart now' button.

That's it for the first part - well done, you just installed Ubuntu ;)

Once the machine has restarted and Ubuntu has loaded back up, login using the name + password you entered back in Step 6.

I guess the next thing to do is check for updates?! Updates are Good! :D

Click 'System' in the top menu bar, then hover over 'Administration' for a second until the next menu appears, then click 'Update Manager'.

10.png

Next, click the 'Check' button and type in your password again if/when prompted to do so.

Once it's found them all, click the 'Install Updates' button to install them.

11.png

Ok, all done? In that case you should see this box:

12.png

Click 'Close' and you're good to go. :)

At this point I chose to reboot the machine. I know it didn't actually tell me to (and I believe it does when it needs to), but I just feel happier doing it!

If you haven't already figured it out, you can reboot by clicking the red power symbol in the top right corner of the screen.

Now that's all done, it's time to install Wine.

As taken from the Wine website, 'Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.' - Yes, that includes Ubuntu :P

ImgBurn is a Windows application, hence Wine is required to act as a go-between for it's code and the native Linux API.

Normally when you want to install an application in Ubuntu you'd do so via the 'Synaptic Package Manager' which you'll find on the 'System' -> 'Administration' menu that we saw earlier on. The trouble is, at the time of writing this guide (and this will probably still be the case when you do it), the version of Wine available on there isn't actually the latest and greatest one. :(

To get the latest one we need to tell the package manager where to get it from.

This page will tell you how to do it - http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

For the sake of keeping it in one place, here's a copy + paste job...

First, open a terminal window. Then add the repository's key to your system's list of trusted APT keys by copy and pasting the following:

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Next, add the repository to your system's list of APT sources:

sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

As a hint for complete n00b's, you can find the 'Terminal' program under the 'Applications' menu and then 'Accessories'. :)

This is what my terminal window looked like when I'd finished:

13.png

When you've done all that (hopefully I've not lost anyone?!), you can go ahead and install Wine. Ubuntu will now know where to find the very latest versions :)

As that last web page said (you read it properly yeah?!), you can install Wine in 2 ways.

1. Via the 'Terminal' window you already have open.

2. Via the 'Synaptic Package Manager' application.

If you're feeling brave and are happy with the terminal window, simply type in the following:

sudo apt-get update

That'll update the APT's package information, then type the following to actually install Wine:

sudo apt-get install wine

If you want to go the Synaptic Package Manager route, load it up from the System -> Administration menu.

Firstly (and this is very important), click the 'Reload' button in the top left of the window to update the package information.

Now click the 'Search' button and type in 'Wine' (without quotes) before then clicking 'Search' again.

You should then see a window like this:

14.png

Locate the 'wine' package within the list and double click it.

If you're prompted to mark additional required changes, just click the 'Mark' button.

Now click the 'Apply' button.

When prompted to 'Apply the following change?', just click the 'Apply' button again.

Assuming everything went ok, you've just installed Wine :)

Bring up the 'Applications' menu at the top once again and you should see a new branch on it called 'Wine'. Go to it and click the 'Configure Wine' option.

14b.png

Click on the 'Drives' tab and click the 'Autodetect...' button. It may take a second or two but eventually it'll populate the box with something like this:

14c.png

Click the 'Ok' button so the window closes down.

Right, now all that's left to do is download ImgBurn and install it!

Load up FireFox, goto http://www.imgburn.com/ and click the 'Download' link. Select whichever mirror you want to and start the download. Firefox will ask if you want to open the file or save it.

You should notice that 'Wine' is now the default application to open it with.

15.png

With the 'Open with' option selected and 'Wine' as the application, click the 'Ok' button.

You can then go through the normal ImgBurn setup wizard.

When you're done with that, remove/delete the 'ImgBurn.lnk' file from your desktop (shown with the red arrow) - it's just the normal (Windows) ImgBurn shortcut file only they're not valid on Ubuntu. Wine will have automatically created a proper one for you.

To run ImgBurn, simply double click the ImgBurn on the dekstop (shown with the green arrow).

16.png

Hooray, ImgBurn running under Ubuntu 7.10 - give yourself a pat on the back ;)

17.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.